Free things that are really useful!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Tommyd345

Nomad
Feb 2, 2015
Norfolk
Just saw a thread in firecraft about picking up wooden coffee stirrers to make kindling, and made me wonder.
What other things can you pick up for free that are really useful??
Let's see if we can compile a list?

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
My mind doesn't work that way. I see plants and rocks and think those are worth the gathering, or when I'm out and find detritus that can be usefully wombled but taking stuff from cafes and tearooms doesn't quite compute, iimmc.

M

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
I'm pleased if I find something that I can divert from the waste stream.
Both metal and plastic, right now the best stuff is the strapping used around bundles of dimension lumber/timber.
New handles on good plastic/metal buckets, supports, tie-downs.
I scored some 1.25" metal strapping = with one edge of a 3" piece filed square, the best little cabinet scrapers I have ever used.

I don't know what the plastic strapping consists of. All I have learned is that it is convenient to cut to length with bolt-cutters.
Very difficult to pound a nail through it = best to drill a hole.

Tom Gold

Forager
Nov 2, 2012
Scotland
www.thetreeline.co.uk
This diy firepit was my latest free item. Its a satellite dish placed on an old wheel rim. The dish is very light and can easily be strapped to a rucksack if we're going somewhere where you cant light fires on the ground. Here it is in 'action' last month when Mrs Gold took the kids to the movies!

dsc_0180.jpg

Idleknight

Forager
Aug 14, 2013
United Kingdom, Near Hinckley
Salt sachets from cafe's and restaurants often end up in survival or first aid kits. I know people who paint kit using the gloves from petrol stations, just pocket em after they use them. Ikea pencils are ideal for go with a note pad or small box.

Bishop

Jan 25, 2014
Pencader

Well, it's really a matter of perspective after all anything one finds might be useful at some point but taking coffee stirrers to the woods for kindling does seem a bit pointless. Though they would make for good sulphur matches and as such a worthy addition to any fire kit.

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
Just saw a thread in firecraft about picking up wooden coffee stirrers to make kindling, and made me wonder.
Let's see if we can compile a list?

A wooden stick off a tree maybe? Just involves a knife, not a huge harvesting and manufacturing process just to create a stick to supply huge coffee chains with stirrers.

However, it's Ramson season, and I like to steep the garlicky leaves in olive oil and use it to fry eggs and cook pork chops. I must try getting some Cramp Balls (King Alfreds Cakes) in, we have them everywhere here. I've hardly used them despite knowing their properties.

oldtimer

Sep 27, 2005
Oxfordshire and Pyrenees-Orientales, France
I was issued with two boxes of pencils when I was technically a civil servant for a year. 20 years later, I still have some left, probabably enough to last me out. Thank you to all those taxpayers whose contributions have saved me having to buy pencils.

Mr. F

May 2, 2012
Coaley, Gloucestershire
Free stuff that's useful, eh?

Bike inner tubes from the bin at the local bike store. Great for firelighting and other uses.

Paracord from a business close to here that recycles old military parachutes. They literally gave me a box full when I asked for it.

Sachets of ketchup/BBQ sauce/sugar, etc from McDonalds, KFC, or anywhere that gives them away.

Coffee and tea sachets from hotel rooms (I spend a fair few nights away in the job I have).

Balti dishes from the local Indian restaurant. Useful for many things. I asked for them. Honest.

There must be more but I can't think of any right now.

Miniwhisk

Forager
Apr 7, 2010
Gloucestershire
Thin polystyrene foam sheet that is usually wrapped around electrical goods. Makes a very lightweight, low bulk, insulated sit mat. I collect mine off packaging at work (from deliveries). It would otherwise end up in the bin.

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire
Cola bottles. Gas tight seals, not attacked by either petrol or alcohol, food safe, durable as heck, light, can be cut up to make funnels, traps, pots.

The coolest ones were the tiny 250ml ball shaped ones issued during the world cup, or some similar football event. Very strong, good for meths storage.

35mm film pots, if you can still find them. I got a bunch from a photo developer some years back. Good for herbs and spices and for things like soap and foot powder.

jason83

Apr 6, 2015
Grimsby
I'm a ground worker so all off cuts from timbering up come in handy but my find a few weeks ago was after a KFC with the missus and kids, in the bag was packets with a salt sachet a tissue and a lemon fresh wipe ideal to have in your bag on treks if you plan to eat or even in general, we got 6 in our last visit and they are now in my car glove box my tool box and my bag.

mousey

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 15, 2010
NE Scotland
My last trip to the dentist they had sample tubes of toothpaste, maybe about 2.5 inch long. nabbed a few as a whole full sized tube is a bit much for a camping trip. It's easier to find space for stuff that's small.

cranmere

Settler
Mar 7, 2014
Somerset, England
Bear in mind that things like sauce and sugar sachets have cost the cafe money and are there for customers to use when they buy food or drinks. I have on occasion picked up one or two for my camping box but I'm always aware that it's coming out of the cafe's profits and that technically it's theft. I now buy such things, there are several vendors online who sell small quantities of food sachets, toiletries, toothpaste etc.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE