I have made a Kuksa!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

humdrum_hostage

Jul 19, 2014
Stradishall, Suffolk
Before I joined here I was mainly whittling small items, then I was inspired by all the carvings on here and decided I wanted to make a Kuksa. My first attempt was with a small piece of Birch I had and it had a small split which I was advised it would cause a problem and it did! it soon developed into a wide crack. My second and third attempt were way too big and I was only using a hatchet and spoon knfe by this point. MY fourth attempt was with a hard piece of poplar which was horrible to split and carve so that soon got put to one side. I was starting to think that the Kuksa was going to be my Achilles heel!
Shortly after this I started a large bowl and spent hours on it till it split straight down the middle! By this point I started to get very disheartened and was thinking of throwing in the towel completely, then got a small bit of beech from a large Ring that was no where near the middle so I was confident this was going to be the one! and here she is.......

I also made a spoon for swmbo out of a piece of Willow, She wanted a Ladle and the first attempt didnt look the way I wanted so this became more of a deep spoon. I wanted to keep the handle basic and the other half wanted to keep the outside of the spoon with the tool marks to show it was hand made.

and the two together :D

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Nice work on both pieces. (You should've kosolring'd/ed (hmm not sure of that spelling) your name on it before showing it too her. Still it's like pancakes, the second one is even better.

Did you get a chance to christen it before handing it over?

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
Good work. I do appreciate the tool marks. I always do the same.
Never done a kuksa.

But what you do describe is this = it takes some time and experience to "learn the wood."
You are well along the way.

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
Excellent post - if at first you don't succeed..................your persistence has paid off handsomely indeed :)

Two Socks

Settler
Jan 27, 2011
Norway
Well done! That is a nice kuksa. Thumbs up for sticking with the carving despite the few projects that didn`t work out.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE