a good head torch

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

cotswoldcraig

May 29, 2014
oxfordshire
I am sure this has been covered many times but I am looking for a half decent head torch as the old one I have been using has died (nearly 8 years old 3xAA). Looking for one to replace it any suggestions?

Cheers

ozzy1977

Jan 10, 2006
Henley
I got a princeton tech FRED last year, runs off 3 aaa 2 red modes and 2 white, important for me was that it switched on to red first.

leon-1

I have loads of the things, always trialling to find out what's going to be best bang for your buck. I have Petzl elite, petzl zipka, petzl tikka, cybalight by ring, Alpkit Gamma, Alpkit Viper and a streamlight and they're just the LED ones.

I liked the Gamma, but they did have a number of failures, my brothers and a number of others had a failure with the battery compartment (this I believe they have now resolved as an issue). On mine the outer sheath of the wires perished, this was however after over 5 years I would guess. The headtorch itself still works, it has multiple modes and various light colours (Green, Red and White), it's not the smallest of my headtorches, but I still like it. At £17 delivered with batteries it can only really be beaten by one other torch and that's it's new Little brother the Viper.

The Viper hasn't got so many lighting modes, but then if you want a torch not a tactical, signalling, tracking device and torch all in one then it's pretty much all you need it's smaller, not having a seperate battery pack and lighter. You still get various lighting modes, but without the colours and it costs £14 delivered with batteries. Now I've only had this one for around 6 months, but it's a good torch for the size and weight. It's an excellent torch when you take into account the cost.

mrcharly

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 25, 2011
North Yorkshire, UK
I like the Alpkit Gamma.

A lot of people have manage to break the battery compartment (when replacing batteries).
It has a strong spring and watertight seal. If you don't push the lid on hard (relying on the camming action of the lugs), then you can break a lug.

IMO that is the only flaw in the torch and is really only a problem for the ham-fisted.

Oct 30, 2012
Eseex
Another vote for the Alpkt Gamma, had mine a couple of years and not had any problems. Its very comfy and has a useful features like different lights etc as already mentioned.

Feb 21, 2015
Durham
Energizer do a corker of a head torch with various functions inc red night mode, bang for buck is awesome and about 8 to 12 quid dependin on model off fleabay

cotswoldcraig

May 29, 2014
oxfordshire
Thanks people I like the features of the gamma but think the rear battery pack with connecting wire would get on my nerves a bit it's a shame the viper doesn't have red light coz that's the kind of size I was after any more suggestions are greatly received

BigMonster

Sep 6, 2011
Manchester
Depends on your budget and expectations.
Alpkit viper is a solid torch for everything from bushcraft to fixing your car.

But the technology nowadays is quite amazing. I will never go back after buying Nitecore HC90 (from china so half price). 18650 so I always go on a trip with a full battery, water and drop proof, variable output that can go from reading a book in a hammock to using it as a flood light for your camp site.

Fenix is another brand that makes good torches.

trubliphone

Mar 10, 2014
USA
Petzly Zipka [http://www.petzl.com/en/Sport/CLASSIC-headlamps/ZIPKA?l=US#.VOzBMTVTuPQ] is the best headtorch I have ever owned. I actually have the "plus" model, which I think has been discontinued. It is not the lightest, but it's very light. It's not the brightest, but it's very bright. It takes AAA batteries, which are easy to find. But, best of all, it is tiny. Because the cord is retractable it takes up almost no space. It is always in my pocket, whether I'm camping or not, and I use it all the time. In my opinion, it has the best combination of weight / brightness / size / power consumption / size.

Squidders

Aug 3, 2004
Harrow, Middlesex

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire
After quite a few years with a first gen TikkaXP, which has always been great, I bought a Fenix HL50 last summer. I miss the diffuser / high beam mode of the TikkaXP, but I really like that the Fenix will run of either AA or 123A. This means I can take it along with one of my other hand held torches that has superior throw, and run everything off the same kind of batteries. Keeping track of a single spare AA is also easier than needing three AAAs.

The Fenix head band that takes one of their normal torches is hopeless if you wear glasses, you get light reflected off the frames which dazzles you. So don't bother with it.
http://www.fenixtorch.co.uk/Shop/Accessories/Headbands.html

techguyone

Jan 19, 2015
W Mids, United Kingdom
MY choice was reflected in the fact that I run *everything* powered of AA batteries, it makes carrying spares more straightforward as I only need to carry one size, its a good power output for the size and you can get AA batteries pretty much anywhere.

Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
I've had a Petzl e-lite in my bag and tool kit for years now, still working fine on the original lithium batteries. It comes with a little lozenge hard case which is possibly why it is so long lived.

cotswoldcraig

May 29, 2014
oxfordshire
I have the e lite too but as a backup in my smock pocket if I am out on my own ( without my step son) I do like the look of tikka xp. But I am leaning towards the Silva ranger at the moment

MarkinLondon

Nomad
May 17, 2013
Bedfordshire
I just picked up a Fenix HL-50 and have found it tough and bright. It's lightweight and has a warm colour. Those bluish LEDs make me crazy, but this LED is just right. not expensive, either. Only about £35.

demographic

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 15, 2005
-------------
I won't ever buy another torch powered by AA or AAAs again. 18650 rechargables (or similar) all the way from now on in.
Recently bought a £20 Chinese LED headtorch that runs on them and it absolutely urinates over every single torch I have ever owned from a great height. Far more power.
Hell, its even got more power than most of the motorbike lights I've had.
Its a bit bulky but I can forgive that. Oh and I got a wall plug charger, a USB charger and a car charger with it. I now have absolutely zero interest in buying batteries all the time now.

Could do with another switch for mode though as its all controlled by one button and I have to cycle through them to get to the one I want.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE