Starting from fresh.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Feb 22, 2015
Solihull
Ok so I'm new to bushcraft and need to start getting kit together.

As I'm new I would like to start as cheap as possible without compromising too much. What would be in your kit if you started from the ground up?

crosslandkelly

A somewhat settled
Jun 9, 2009
North West London
The usual is,
sleeping bag.
Tent/Tarp.
Cook kit.
Knife.
Small axe.
Lighter.
Sleep mat.
Rucksack.

These are just the basics to get you started, buy the best you can afford, but boot fairs, charity shops and £ shops often have bargains.

Last edited:

korvin karbon

Native
Jul 12, 2008
Fife
Endicotts for starting and some great bargains. Heinnie for some tasty gucci kit. John fenna's make your own kit guide if unlike me, you can be trusted with a needle and thread.

Read and read the forum. The search option brings a treasure trove of knowledge and most likely your question has been asked before or thereabouts.

Get out to the woods and play (just keep the sharp pointy knife away from general public) and leave no trace.

Hammock_man

May 15, 2008
kent
What am I going to drink this morning and how am going to make it.
What am I going to eat this evening and how am I going to prepare it.
Where and how am I sleeping tonight....... well you get the idea.

Get kit to fill an actual need even if you start with just a walk in the woods.

ayylmao

Banned
Sep 13, 2014
sussex
Get a cheap knife, water bottle, wool blanket, ferro rod and some paracord. Off to the woods with a natural shelter and you'll be fine

OurAmericanCousin

Tenderfoot
Feb 7, 2015
SoCalUSA
Try sleeping on the floor in the front room the first night.

Second night the backyard. Play it safe and easy. Think about what would make you more comfortable.

Check out known camping areas and ask around regarding people's stuff (doesn't matter what it is, people love talking about their favorite subject; themselves). Ask what works for them.

Take notes and photos. Understand your needs vs limitations. Ask yourself what you will be doing realistically.

Don't rely on the guy at the camping store to tell you everything you'll need in hopes of selling it to you (and possibly paying his rent that month).

Take it slow. Try fair weather camping at first.

Try not to get into a buying frenzy. The last thing anybody needs is a shed full of unused impulse buys.

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Something to sleep on
Something to sleep in
Something to sleep under

Something to cook
Something to cook in
Something to cook on

Something to eat with
Something to eat off

Clothing to wear
Clothing for spare

Knife
First Aid kit
Wash kit
Torch and batteries

I am an advocate of making your own as much as possible (the more you do - the more is possible) but until you can make it all MOD surplus is cheap (ish) and practical.
5.11 clothing is ideal for me (in fit and function) if you have a bit more cash and charity shops have some true bargains.

ebt.

Nomad
Mar 20, 2012
Brighton, UK
You need a tent of some form rather than a tarp, -far more versatile.

Its dangerous expressing a preference as a 'need'. Some people will declare they 'need' a hammock etc.

Personally I like woodland overnighters with just a bivi bag/sleeping bag and a poncho to act as a tarp if the weather gets foul. A tent would be overkill for that particular style of hedgerow hobo ;)

Since your kit choice is situational, hammock man/john fenna both sum it up quite well for me, its a thought process you need to go through.

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE