Ussen thermals?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Mike8472

Jul 28, 2009
west yorkshire
Does anyone have any experience of ussen thermal underwear?

I spotted them while surfing the internet while being bord at work earlier on today. The website doesn't give too much info.

From the pics they look like they are quite well made and a well thought out design, but that doesn't always translate into reality when you get your hands on them.

http://www.ussen.co.uk/#/baltic-thermals/4553148858

Last edited:

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Hi Mike, despite one of the websites saying "most outdoors folk will know Ussen" I didn't & have worked in outdoor retail for 17 odd years. Seems to be a synthetic thermal... not personally a fan due to a)smell, b)feel & c) going up like a roman candle if you get to near an open flame. But that's just me... wait a while, someone on here's bound to have used them.
TTFN Goatboy.

Rabbitsmacker

Settler
Nov 23, 2008
Kings Lynn
Reviving an old thread here. I have the same question. The product looks good, price is good, made in England. Am interested. What if any experience have people got with Ussen thermal gear?

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
I had some seconds for review a couple of years back... I thought so much of them that the review was never written and the thermals went in the bin.

mountainm

Bushcrafter through and through
Jan 12, 2011
Selby
www.mikemountain.co.uk
Their website may be misleading but it sounds like they supply the army. (At least in 2008).

It would be a shame if they're no good as it's nice to see a UK manufacturer. A Yorkshire one at that.

Retired Member southey

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jun 4, 2006
your house!
Saying "soldier's are wearing our kit" doesn't necessarily mean they supplied the MOD on a contractual basis, we had a few bits of clothing and gear given to us to take away, giving feed back to the manufacturer who was normally a friend of someone or other.

mountainm

Bushcrafter through and through
Jan 12, 2011
Selby
www.mikemountain.co.uk
Saying "soldier's are wearing our kit" doesn't necessarily mean they supplied the MOD on a contractual basis, we had a few bits of clothing and gear given to us to take away, giving feed back to the manufacturer who was normally a friend of someone or other.
Aye. Hence my bit about it may be misleading.

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
I had some seconds for review a couple of years back... I thought so much of them that the review was never written and the thermals went in the bin.

Ignoring the faults in the sewing that made them "seconds" - I found the fabric coarse and uncomfortable, I found the cut strange (for me) with a restrictive body yet very long arms, I found the fabric stank of BO after a very short time.
I also found that I much prefer the feel and function of Merino thermals!

Bluffer

Nomad
Apr 12, 2013
North Yorkshire
The Ussen thermal shirts with a zipped neck have been a popular private purchase with soldiers in recent years because the PCS issued 'micro-fleece' has been a long time coming.

Most of my colleagues have been wearing a synthetic t-shirt, then a Paramo or Craghopper or Ussen shirt/micro-fleece and then an MTP under-body-armour shirt (UBACS) in temperatures down to -5C for stop/start activity.

Anything else (e.g. buffalo/softy jacket) would be too warm or too bulky when on the move, so the micro-fleece fills a vital gap in the clothing layers and the close fit means that it fits well under the mandatory outer layer.

Personally I prefer a Paramo mountain shirt, but the Ussen stuff is cheapish and readily available for the guys to privately purchase, so I see plenty of colleagues wearing it even now.

bivouac

Forager
Jan 30, 2010
Three Counties
Some good info there thanks guys. I may give them a bash and just see, prob hat and gloves first as they are cheap.

The flight hat is good if you're on the move. Good in temperature around zero with sleet. Good quality, comfortable fit, not too hot and fits into a pocket easy (imho).

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE