Yomp In The New Forest

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

MarkN

Jan 13, 2015
Dorset
I've just got back from a quick yomp in the New Forest with my 5 month old Cockapoo puppy, Chester.
As he's only five month old he's limited to a maximum of an hour's walk everyday because of his growing bones. Doing this in the early stages of a puppy's life stops them having bone and joint trouble in later life.
We tend to go somewhere new now and then which gives Chester a chance to meet new animals and me a chance to practice my compass skills and keep them fresh.
Anyway, today we went to the New Forest as it's only a few miles down the road. We parked the car and walked off into the forest. I have a very good app on my phone that gives me a compass bearing and also the OS Grid co-ords, so I know where I am when I start, this I take note of on the map.
We walked into the woods for about 30 mins and I found somewhere reasonably dry to set up and have lunch. Chester had his favourite kibble (50g of Royal Canin) while I set up my Wood Gas stove and boiled some water for a hot chocolate. As the ground is very wet, I tend to use a Trangia burner in the stove as it's quick to light and easy to use. For anyone with a wood gas stove, I tend to put the inner tray upside down and this sets the Trangia burner at just the right height.
We finish off and set off out of the woods when the rain came. Stopping again to put my waterproof trousers on, we made our track back through the forest and to the car.
A nice walk out and a chance to use some kit. My Bergen is a Karrimor Sabre SF35, this is perfect I find for holding my cooking kit, toilet kit, tarp, first aid kit and few other odds and ends that I might need.
Cheers
Mark

IMG_1505-1.jpg

Lacijag1

Forager
Hi Mark,
I guess u and ur puppy had a great time out there. I am planing to visit the new forest park in this month. I started to check out the park on google maps. So far i found this area north nort-east from Linford it's called the red shoot wood. It looks promising for a little bushcraft practice. Do you know something about that area? If i go deep in to the woods how likely am i going to meet with other people?
Thanks for any answers.
Laz

MarkN

Jan 13, 2015
Dorset
Hi Laz,
I can't comment of the area you're talking about as I've not been there. The area that this picture is taken though isn't too far away. It's in an area called Milkham Inclosure we parked at the car park on grid ref:SU218-102. We were there mid week and only saw one other person near to the car park and didn't see anyone else all the time we were out.
The wife and I went there on Sunday for another walk, this time a bit further east. We parked at a car park at Cadnam's Pool SU229-123 and then walked around the area north of this between Anses Wood and South Bentley Inclosure. The latter area was great, with lots of woods, streams and nooks etc. We saw nobody at all on this walk. I'm certainly going to take a pack there and go for a wonder, hopefully this week if the weather holds.
As a point of interest, if you're around the Red Shoot, it's a great pub and serves good food and good beer.
Cheers
Mark

Last edited:

Lacijag1

Forager
Hi Mark,

thanks for the answer. This is the kind of answer I was hoping for:)
It is really hard to find a quiet place where a little outdoor cooking can be done.
Now it's certain that I am going to go to visit this place very soon.
All the bests.
Laz

Lacijag1

Forager
Hi Mark,

thanks for the answer. This is the kind of answer I was hoping for:)
It is really hard to find a quiet place where a little outdoor cooking can be done.
Now it's certain that I am going to go to visit this place very soon.
All the bests.
Laz

Jack Bounder

Nomad
Dec 7, 2014
Dorset
I do a lot of walking in the New Forest...just about every weekend during the autumn, winter and spring, whatever the weather, but less so in the summer.

We walked in Red Shoot Wood just a few weeks ago. Starting from Appleslade Bottom car park, we headed south until we picked up Linwood Brook and then headed north east (following the brook) until we reached Greenford Bottom. From here we left the path and found our own route to the ancient earth work (Castle Piece). We then headed north west towards Annie's Corner and the Red Shoot Inn for lunch and a pint. It was a nice walk but there were others around.

In general, I find the Forest to be quiet away from the car parks and tourist honey pots but not deserted.....unless it is raining...so I like the rain. Of late, I have been keeping my eye out for suitable places to stick up the tarp and for the kids to practice fire lighting but haven't found anywhere just yet. My wife worked for Forest Enterprise a while back and they take a dim view of fire lighting and/or camping outside of recognised campsites and bbq facilities.

The sad truth of the Forest is that it is riddled with tracks and paths and it is difficult to find places in the woods which are any distance from some footpath or other so the chances of discovery are high. That said, I'm sure if you're discrete you can easily get away with a brew or cooking a meal on a small stove. And, in my youth, I have camped in the Forest without issue but I didn't care about the consequences then!

MarkN

Jan 13, 2015
Dorset
Hi Jack,

Thanks for the correction on the correct sheet, you're indeed correct, it is SU and not SZ as I had written.

I've just been looking at your route, it looks good. I'm going to give that a go when I get the chance.

It's a shame that you're not allowed to camp in the forest, there are some great places that are within a mile or two of a car park. It's not hard to see why they get twitchy though with people lighting fires etc. walking around, there are lots of places that have suffered from fires in the summer etc.

Jack Bounder

Nomad
Dec 7, 2014
Dorset
I think the main problem with the woodland within the Forest is the high number of deer and ponies. Their browsing removes the understory. The browse line is easy to see, allowing you to see quite a long distance under the middle story and canopy. This doesn't make for good opportunities for discretely putting up a tarp without risk of discovery. In woodlands with a lower population of browsers the understory more dense and provides more cover and, therefore, more opportunities for stealthy bush craft.

Having said all of that, the best thing about the Forest is the freedom to roam wherever you like. The kids, in particular, like it best when we strike off from the path and blaze our own trail.

Lacijag1

Forager
Hi Jack,

When I was checking out the park on google maps I noticed that there are lots of trails and footpaths in New Forest like you said.
I am all ways extremely careful about things like putting up a tarp or making a little camp fire. Don't want to be called the ,,ignorant foreigner'' who doesn't know how to behave in the U.K. I guess I am gonna stick to my regular site and leave the New Forest.
Thanks for the info.
Laz

Will_

Nomad
Feb 21, 2013
Dorset
Hi Mark,
I guess u and ur puppy had a great time out there. I am planing to visit the new forest park in this month. I started to check out the park on google maps. So far i found this area north nort-east from Linford it's called the red shoot wood. It looks promising for a little bushcraft practice. Do you know something about that area? If i go deep in to the woods how likely am i going to meet with other people?
Thanks for any answers.
Laz
I've camped in Red Shoot Wood a couple of times. :D Never been disturbed.

Jack Bounder

Nomad
Dec 7, 2014
Dorset
As with all things, discretion will get you a long way. Arrive at dusk and leave at dawn and exercise common sense regarding fires and other sources of light at night and anything is possible. But don't expect to put up a tarp during the day and light a smokey fire without attracting some attention.

For example, we bought a bell tent (Karma Canvas) a couple of years ago. We went to Wilverley Plain to just put it up to see if it was OK before taking it camping and literally within 20 minutes the police were on the scene. Within a further 10 minutes we were approached by a ranger from Forest Enterprise asking us what we were up to. It was clear we weren't stopping (no sleeping bags, etc), so they were happy.....although they did wait until we took down the tent, packed it away and left the carp park.

Now, Wilverley is completely open and popular haunt of dog walkers, so cannot be compared to Red Shoot Wood. However, I hope the point well made that discovery by a dog walker or rambler will doubtless result in official on the scene fairly quickly.

darrenleroy

Nomad
Jul 15, 2007
London
I camp in the same spot in the Forest, not too far from Red Shoot Wood and having been for close on a decade. We light fires in the day and at night and although I've seen walkers (as Lacijag1 said; there are loads of paths) we have never been disturbed or asked what we're doing. We don't leave a mess and we don't make too much noise. I see it as a right to camp in our forests. This is only my opinion but looking at what our ancestors put up with it's nice to redress the balance a bit. :)

Will_

Nomad
Feb 21, 2013
Dorset
As with all things, discretion will get you a long way. Arrive at dusk and leave at dawn and exercise common sense regarding fires and other sources of light at night and anything is possible. But don't expect to put up a tarp during the day and light a smokey fire without attracting some attention.
Good advice. I tend not to move into the spot I want to camp in until dusk. Smoke isn't so visible against the sky, and generally by this time there won't be anyone around to see it anyway, especially if you've picked a remote spot.

Jan 12, 2015
United Kingdom
Technically you're not allowed to light a fire or stove in the New Forest and you're not allowed to put up a tent or 'erection' up - the byelaws which are relevant are here. Saying that, I know that the forestry commission are happy for people to bivvy out as they've cleared that for an event that takes part in the Forest but I'm not sure how much a tarp or hammock counts as 'an erection'. I'm sure they'd be happy to clarify. Realistically, if you don't burn down the forest then I hardly think that lighting up a stove for a quick brew is a problem but it's often easier to avoid any hassle in the first place by just taking a flask with you!

Jack Bounder

Nomad
Dec 7, 2014
Dorset
I've used my Kelly Kettle while out in the forest, without issue. There are also spots in the forest (usually next to car parks) which have paving slab inserts in their picnic tables to accommodate disposable bbqs. These car parks tend to be too busy (for me) during the summer but would be OK on a rainy day outside of the holiday season.

woodsrunner

Forager
May 13, 2013
Montana USA
was wondrin if her highness was subject to the same restrictions as everyone else pertaining to public land use?...woods

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE