10,000 B.C. Reality Show

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

nic a char

Settler
Dec 23, 2014
scotland
I think that a degree in media studies may well be fine, not everyone with one will have "zero common sense", in this case it's the environment they are working in that explains their actions now.
Compare idealists getting elected to Westminster - read some of the accounts of how these newbies are/were leant on to "conform".
There have been several excellent, straightforward TV programmes, esp DIY-type stuff, which started out well, but where the presenters have obviously been leaned on to dumb-down, deliver silly jokes, take the mickey out of assistants, or indeed, think they are now more witty and important than they really are!

Laurentius

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 13, 2009
Knowhere
I think that a degree in media studies may well be fine, not everyone with one will have "zero common sense", in this case it's the environment they are working in that explains their actions now.
Compare idealists getting elected to Westminster - read some of the accounts of how these newbies are/were leant on to "conform".
There have been several excellent, straightforward TV programmes, esp DIY-type stuff, which started out well, but where the presenters have obviously been leaned on to dumb-down, deliver silly jokes, take the mickey out of assistants, or indeed, think they are now more witty and important than they really are!

I have an HND in media studies which is why I consider most TV to be crap and most of the press to be lies, I know how it is put together and what it appeals to.

Elines

Oct 4, 2008
Leicestershire
I suppose my starting point is that i learned an enormous amount of valuable things from the site and meeting people at meets.

So I am hoping that any member of Jo public watching the programme might simarlarly learn something useful - even if it is only how much they take for granted.

XRV John

Nomad
Jan 23, 2015
Scunthorpe
So I am hoping that any member of Jo public watching the programme might simarlarly learn something useful - even if it is only how much they take for granted.

As a new member on here but a camping motorcycle adventure tourer for two years I watched the first two episodes last night. As reality tv it was a lot better than most. Flouncing off was to be expected and happened but that's what the tv bosses want I guess. They had chosen some people with survival skills (archery, trapping, butchery) but seemed light on weaving, curing and sewing (or maybe they are in future episodes)

I'll keep watching as it is a lot better than a lot of the repeats on at that time of night

John

MikeLA

May 17, 2011
Northumberland
If you regard it as trash then why are you watching it?

Me, I can get over 50 70s Anime series involving Giant Robots on youtube and the like...Now, thats `real` trash, but its what I want, Im not complaining, and I dont need a telly licence to go see it.

Like all programmes give it a try I watched 30 minutes or so and decided that was enough. Each to our own choices

TallTom

Forager
Mar 23, 2014
Surrey
I liked the idea of the show but in the last episode the producer said "it's about seeing if 18 people can live as mesolithic man" and this made me realise that they had done it wrong.

These people only had a pack sent to them before starting the show and then 2 days with an expert, so instead of at a stage where we can see if they can live they are mostly learning to live. Mesolithic man had their whole life to learn the ways of their fathers, these guys know very little, they cannot be expected to be able to survive without the knowledge they need. The group needs 2 or 3 experts to teach the group longterm. (I am aware they have experts watching them and helping ID food, but it's not the same)

Stevie777

Native
Jun 28, 2014
Strathclyde, Scotland
oh well, that will be that then...9 Days in and they got bailed out. Not surprising when they lost 60% of the meat on the deer in the first day. never did enough at the start. too busy fantasizing about Big Macs and Tuna Baguettes me thinks.

XRV John

Nomad
Jan 23, 2015
Scunthorpe
Watched last night's and still enjoying it. The "I need my mummy and a Big Mac" brigade are showing themselves to be useless and pointless. Think I've missed episode 3 so carch up here I come

Insel Affen

Settler
Aug 27, 2014
Tewkesbury, N Gloucestershire
I liked the idea of the show but in the last episode the producer said "it's about seeing if 18 people can live as mesolithic man" and this made me realise that they had done it wrong.

These people only had a pack sent to them before starting the show and then 2 days with an expert, so instead of at a stage where we can see if they can live they are mostly learning to live. Mesolithic man had their whole life to learn the ways of their fathers, these guys know very little, they cannot be expected to be able to survive without the knowledge they need. The group needs 2 or 3 experts to teach the group longterm. (I am aware they have experts watching them and helping ID food, but it's not the same)

Totally agree, it's two experiments in one (or one which is very badly executed). It's like when people say, 'How did they manage that?' Well they didn't have modern distractions, so they would have a long time to think about it, plus many years of handed down skills. They either needed more training or some experts to be with them, shame they lost that old dear as she might have had some flint knapping or basketry skill.

Apart from that, I would have loved to see one more person in that group, my old Squadron Sergeant Major – it would have been hilarious!!!!

david1

Nomad
Mar 3, 2006
sussex
I can splice rope, my son also a tree surgeon does not have the time to lean, why should he he just buys another rope on the company account. :(

Stevie777

Native
Jun 28, 2014
Strathclyde, Scotland
Stone Age Big Brother from what I've seen.......
Basically yeah. The fact the production team have had to intervene countless times with either medical treatment, Blankets and food tells you all you need to know...

It would have been interesting to see how the show would have progressed without the interventions. i'm sure one or two would have made it to the end. In saying that, evidence has been found of cannibalism back in the stone age...tough times calls for tough choices.

Pity the public cant vote for who gets roasted over the fire first...I know who my phone in vote would go to. :lol:

Stevie777

Native
Jun 28, 2014
Strathclyde, Scotland
Either that lazy git who doesn't do any work (nightclub blerk) or other lazy git who craved his mummy and a Big Mac?
The Latter, but he's buggered off anyway.He annoyed me no end.
What a whinging little brat. Had to laugh about how 9 days of doing nothing had changed his life around for the better. It would have helped if he could have articulated his epiphany for the rest of us to understand what the hell he was waffling on about though.

I seriously wonder what criteria has to be met to get on one of these shows. I've narrowed it down to a few things, some i have mentioned here previously. Anyone knowledgeable about survival/Bushcraft and or being a cool customer under extreme pressure need not apply.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE