frontera hints and tips?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

cbrdave

Dec 2, 2011
South East Kent.
Just got hold of a 96 frontera 2.5tdi 5door manual, not bad condition, steering a bit sloppy but been told the steering box can be adjusted to sort it out, dont know a lot about them so does anyone have any helpfull advice on them, many thanks in advance,
Dave.

garethw

Settler
Hi there
I've not owned a Frontera but I think the same checks and defects appear on most 4x4's of this period... I've owned 2x Patrols and now a Terrano and all show the same weakness....
The Fronteras do have a pretty good reputation generally and they were better post 1995.

On all diesels of this era you'll need to check:
The cylinder head gasket for leaks
The timing belt if its fitted with one.
The injectors & glow plugs.
Check exhaust for rust along its whole length.
Check for play in the gears and that the low ratio gears work ok. Many of these cars that have never been off road have never had the low ratio engaged.

You say the steering box can be adjusted, but check to see if this has not already been done and it still has play. Many 4x4's have this problem, especially if its been used off road.

Other areas that always show wear will be the bushes on the various parts of the drive train... anti roll bars, suspension etc. Check the shocks too and their fixings.

A look under the chassis for leaks, dents or damage ... this will also give you an idea how tha car has been looked after.

With a car of this age it is unlikely to have a complete service history, so I'd change all the oil... engine, gear box, transfer box and diffs.

Finally put it in third gear with the hand brake on and gentely try to drive off.. the car should stall. If it doesn't your clutch is certainly worn.

If all that checks out it should be fine.
4x4's of this age are quite high maintenance, high running cost cars that guzzle juice. They drive like trucks, are noisy and sluggish. These were among the last of the classic off road type vehicle, before it all went soft roader, with lower ride height, independent suspension and no low gears.
Its a car that will go well off the black stuff with a decent set of tyres.

cheers
Gareth

Last edited:

Bazzworx

Mar 5, 2009
North Wilts
On the steering box there should be a threaded stud with a locknut (located on the square side of the box if I remember rightly) the stud will have a means of turning it possibly with an allen key or spanner. Mark the position of the stud with tip-ex or similar then loosed the lock nut and screw in the stud about 1/8th of a turn. This will reduce the backlash on the gears in the box. Tighten the lock nut up and give it a test drive. If you go to much on the stud the steering will not self centre and the steering will be tight. If its still sloppy go another 1/8th on the stud.

Obviously the steering system should be checked to rule out ball joints etc first. By marking the stud with tip-ex you can always return it to the original position.

Hope this helps
Ben

cbrdave

Dec 2, 2011
South East Kent.
Nice one, cheers ben, will be having a play over the weekend, hoping it wont rain so i can get some stuff done on her,
All the best
Dave.

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Be careful that you don't back into a ditch when your windows are steamed up and you've had a long day, ask Stuart about that one :)

Stuart69

On a new journey
Jul 7, 2008
Glasgow
Be careful that you don't back into a ditch when your windows are steamed up and you've had a long day, ask Stuart about that one :)

I'll admit that wasn't one of my better driving moments :)

I know they get a lot of slagging but I still like my Fronty. A bit heavy on the juice at times but it's been reliable, never broken down on me, carries boats and camping gear no problem and gets me to some very out of the way places. Does me fine :)

At Loch Long a couple of weeks ago
IMG_20120615_161443.jpg

cbrdave

Dec 2, 2011
South East Kent.
Been away for a while,
Got rid of frontera after chucking far too much money at it,
2 waterpumps, battery, radiator, hoses, gearbox, suspension,
Managed to pick up a lwb shogun 2.8tdi, great motor, carries all i need for fitting wardrobes and goes everywhere.

Beefy0978

Forager
Jul 18, 2012
South west
No such thing as a cheap 4x4. You pay up front for new, or in instalments later for used. Either way it adds up eventually.
Problem is they're purchased mostly with the heart and less with the head so that paying never feels quite so bad.
Most of us don't need one, we just want to need one...

cbrdave

Dec 2, 2011
South East Kent.
So far, paid £400 for the shogun, with servicing, suspension and wheel/tyre package i've spent an extra £600, don't think that's too bad,
Not too bothered about turning circle, there's always reverse or just drive over whatever's in the way, lol,
As for needing one, more big boys toy to start with ;) but it's been dead handy, a fellow bedroom fitter was on a job with me at a farm, only way out of the farm one night was down the edge of a field to the track, mates transit got stuck, we both had all our tools on board and I towed him out with ease,
At the end of the day, I love the out door life, love driving, need something large to carry work tools and only want one vehicle, so the shogun is a multi tool, does all I need and carries the family too:)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE