What do you carry in your 4x4?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

MT606

Nomad
Jan 17, 2013
North of the southern wall.
when I had a 4x4 twas an axe, shovel, tool kit, jerry can, spare fan belts, sometimes a 30 or 50cal or garand (to scare the locals ;-) ) and depending on the weather I'd either have a wooden enclosed cab,canvas enclosed cab , just a roof or go in convertible mode sometimes even put the windscreen down ;-)
the other 4x4 it was axe,spade, wireless set, writing set, stretchers for kipping on a jerry can or 2, and a safe knowledge that cars/white vans etc would move out of the way if they saw the wagon bearing down on them (it wouldn't have mattered if they'd have not given way,cause 3tons n drum brakes all round weren't the best at stopping her anyways ;-) )

Dave

Hill Dweller
Sep 17, 2003
Brigantia
I know next to nothing about mechanics, and cars. Im gonna have to get one of those hayes manuals. someone did say put some redex in it to me the other day, to help clean the engine.

Seadog

Tenderfoot
May 5, 2013
United Kingdom
Take care with home insurance personal effects insurance - in my experience they can be very picky about what they count - for instance a brand new pump I had just bought was refused because it was "not a personal item unlike a jewelry"

So for instance personally I would not risk one of my canoes not being covered on personal effects and now have them on specific insurance.

Last edited:

Dave

Hill Dweller
Sep 17, 2003
Brigantia
I just added 4 mudflaps to my LR Freelander 2, Dealers price was £310. :yikes:
But I bought some non LR ones for £39.99 off Ebay and did it myself.
A little bit nerve wracking, as it involved unclipping plastic panels, and cutting body work, but very clear instructions provided via youtube, here

I also added a stainless steel undershield,

And a spare wheel. [Dealer price £511] Ebay. £235. Alloy. And a full set of original LR rubber mats.

Really lovin my Land Rover now.

Last edited:

Dave

Hill Dweller
Sep 17, 2003
Brigantia
A very brave man Dave. I wouldn't dare cut into my Freelander. Have you any other plans to add accessories to it?

Honestly mate, if you follow those instructions, it was dead easy. The only issue was that the kit came with self tapping screws which needed to be a tad longer, and a couple of clips etc. But Ive never done anything with a car before, and mine worked fine.

As you'll know, the freelander 2, has settings, which you turn on, like hill descent, and ice/snow or mud ruts, then you just take your feet off all the pedals and it knows exactly what to to do. Ive had it off road [first time] in some pretty hardcore conditions, and the mud flaps stayed on fine.

I also thought it was a bit of a rip off that these 4WD have plastic underbellys, so I ordered a stainless steel one, and fitted that myself. Very simple.

Im not sure what other accessories would make it better?

Ive got quite a lot of tools in the car now as well.

Trojan

Silver Trader
Mar 20, 2009
The Countryside
Telephone number for the AA, (it's a Landrover!).

Sorry I'm actually car-less at the moment but always kept tools, food, water, sleeping bag and the likes in there. Good reminder for folk with winter coming up (though I carried the gear year 'round)

The same as the two points above :)

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
I run a 454 GMC Suburban. Biggest issues are water, hot stove kit and several bow saws.
The common risk is blow-down trees as the venturi effect makes the wind speeds in the mountain valleys
quite high.

Had a buddy get hammered by tree /2 while he was chopping /1.
He`s OK.

PeterH

Settler
Oct 29, 2007
Milton Keynes
I also thought it was a bit of a rip off that these 4WD have plastic underbellys, so I ordered a stainless steel one, and fitted that myself. Very simple.

Depend whether you intend balancing your vehicle on it rockslider style. The underbody protection on world rally cars and many competition vehicles is "plastic". Having said that often the undertray on retail cars etc is about airflow and thinner than the rough road type panels

Sent from my GT-I8160 using Tapatalk 2

Dave

Hill Dweller
Sep 17, 2003
Brigantia
Have you any other plans to add accessories to it?

Im now seriously considering buying about £30 worth of Waxoyl, from Halfords and a couple of car ramps, and getting under it, with some wire wool, then brushing the entire underside with waxoyl.

I think its about £300 + for a garage to do it.

Zingmo

Eardstapa
Jan 4, 2010
S. Staffs
Currently in the back of the truck are an assortment of sticks for walking, a jerry can of diesel, and about half a kilo of christmas tree needles!

Z

cbrdave

Dec 2, 2011
South East Kent.
In Shogun, High lift jack, standard car tool kit, torches, camera, solar charge panel, sat nav,road map,2 multi tools, spare bulbs and fuses, gloves, hi vis, blanket, 1st aid kit, choccy bar, towing bar, tow strap with shackles,wratchet straps, small tarp, chargers, cb radio, blanket, tissues, wipes, painkillers, antihistamines, mora and during week days all my carpentry tools for fitting bedrooms,
No wonder it goes through fuel so much, lol.

Last edited:

Ecoman

Sep 18, 2013
Isle of Arran
www.HPOC.co.uk
Comprehensive first Aid Kit
Long life and dried food.
Brew kit
Water
Coleman Stove
Billy Can
Fire making kit and tinder
Assortment of shackles
Assortment of strops
Jump Leads
Comprehensive tool kit (enough to do most jobs on the car)
Comprehensive spares kit (including things like bulbs, belts, gorilla tape, Wurth 2040, repair washers, nuts, bolts, cable ties, jubilee clips, fuses, wire, connectors, relays, oil and fuel filters, engine and gear oil, screen wash, split pins etc etc etc)
Saw with spare blade
Extendable tree loppers (for overhead branches)
Spade
Hi Viz Jacket
Cold weather gear
Waterproof gear(for my wife daughter and I)
Change of clothes (again for the three of us)
Jack
Waffle boards
Head torch
LED Lenser torch
Flashing beacon
Reading material
DVDs
Spare fuel
Length of fuel grade hose
Selection of bushcraft tools
Tarp
Wool blanket
Survival blankets
Spare waterproof ponchos
VHF/ UHF Radio 2m/ 70cm (in car and waterproof hand held)
CB Radio (in car and hand held)
Spare mobile phone and charger
Local area OS map and compass
Waterproof sat nav
Waterproof camera

robevs73

Maker
Sep 17, 2008
llanelli
In my Honda crv's boot there are;
Tentipi arran 7
Fourdogs titanium stove
Pair of danner boots
Pair of lundhas boots
Snowshoe ventilation smock
5l water container
Roughneck small shovel
Box of sticks
Large box of matches
Small axe
30" bacho bow saw
2 shopping bags
Pack of lucosade isotonic bottles
Jump leads
UK map
De-icer

Last edited:

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
Comprehensive first Aid Kit
Long life and dried food.
Brew kit
Water
Coleman Stove
Billy Can
Fire making kit and tinder
Assortment of shackles
Assortment of strops
Jump Leads
Comprehensive tool kit (enough to do most jobs on the car)
Comprehensive spares kit (including things like bulbs, belts, gorilla tape, Wurth 2040, repair washers, nuts, bolts, cable ties, jubilee clips, fuses, wire, connectors, relays, oil and fuel filters, engine and gear oil, screen wash, split pins etc etc etc)
Saw with spare blade
Extendable tree loppers (for overhead branches)
Spade
Hi Viz Jacket
Cold weather gear
Waterproof gear(for my wife daughter and I)
Change of clothes (again for the three of us)
Jack
Waffle boards
Head torch
LED Lenser torch
Flashing beacon
Reading material
DVDs
Spare fuel
Length of fuel grade hose
Selection of bushcraft tools
Tarp
Wool blanket
Survival blankets
Spare waterproof ponchos
VHF/ UHF Radio 2m/ 70cm (in car and waterproof hand held)
CB Radio (in car and hand held)
Spare mobile phone and charger
Local area OS map and compass
Waterproof sat nav
Waterproof camera

Must be a big ole motor you have :)

Feb 7, 2013
Maidenhead
I run a 1961 Series 2 88" Land-Rover.

In the back I carry:-

Tow rope
Snow chains
Ratchet straps x 4
Shovel
Basha tarp
Various bits of rope
Hi-viz vest
4 tonne bottle jack
Warning triangle
A couple of big lumps of cut-down railway sleeper

In a box under the passenger seat:-
Pliers x 2
Adjustable spanner
Various screwdrivers
cable ties
Gaffer tape
wire
Handful of "useful" nuts n bolts
Head torch
Multi-tool
Firesteel

That's my basic kit. If I'm travelling further afield I pack a bit more stuff.

I used to carry loads of tools and spares but I won't do any roadside repairs any more, following several well-publicised incidents where people were injured or killed at the roadside, I rely on my mobile phone and an AA card.

Ecoman

Sep 18, 2013
Isle of Arran
www.HPOC.co.uk
Must be a big ole motor you have :)

Its a Landcruiser 80 so yeah you could say its a tad on the big side. ;)

I suppose living on the isle of arran its the practical thing to be that self sufficent.

To be honest, its from when I was doing 4x4 response for COTAG in Aberdeenshire. We always carried a comprehensive kit in our vehicles for if we got called out to a major incident. The habit has just stuck with me and I still carry all the kit. I have added a few home comforts to it as well for when I'm out stalking or if I use the truck on shooting days. The roads on Arran are terrible and I have had to tow people out of precarious situations in the snow on a few occasions. We don't get much snow in the glens on the island as its climate is warmed by the gulf stream but there are areas on the hills where it can settle on the roads and catch people unawares.

Its also nice to just disappear up a forest track and spend a few hours away from the rest of humanity having a brew but still being able to dash back to pick the daughter up from school!!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE