TRACKS: Who dunnit?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Prawnster

Jun 24, 2008
St. Helens
Are cats messy eaters? I mean do they leave a lot of saliva on a kill compared to a fox or a dog?
Could it be scavenging foxes have 'cleaned' the kill and removed saliva from the original predator?
I can't see how a fix can bring a deer down so it was either a) already dead, b) foxes are hunting in packs, or c) something else killed it.

Sent from my iToaster using Tapatalk

Feb 15, 2011
Elsewhere
Are cats messy eaters? I mean do they leave a lot of saliva on a kill compared to a fox or a dog?
Could it be scavenging foxes have 'cleaned' the kill and removed saliva from the original predator?

Big cats would leave as much DNA as any other predator as chewing activates the salivary glands & well as the licking motion that felines have before biting of pieces of meat..............it's unlikely that another animal such as a fox would wipe away ALL of another"s saliva on a carcass......
There's no doubt that a fox or 2 invited themselves to the banquette after. the deed was done though :D

There are probably other signs around such as tracks,scent marks, fur & scats,......I suppose we would be told they were dog ! ;)

Bushwhacker

Banned
Jun 26, 2008
Dorset
There's been a large consumption of meat so certainly not one fox and it would be nice to see how the ribs have been bitten through and whether they are crushed/gnawed or sheared.

Last edited:
Feb 15, 2011
Elsewhere
pg-6-big-cat.jpg
[/IMG

Tests-being-carried-out-o-007.jpg

On enlarging the first photo it looks to me like the ribs have been cleanly cut.....

Last edited:

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
I was up there on Tuesday, but only passed through on the way home. If you've read my thread started in the Flora and Fauna section on juvenile adders, the last pic of the Fallow deer was taken there. I've not seen any unidentified tracks or anything weird, but I've not been looking.

BushrangerCZ

Nomad
Dec 23, 2010
in the woods
Who knows authors of these signatures in the snow?
Habitat: Central europe, highland covered by wooded hills (conifers), shallow streams and marshes in walleys
PS: measure tape is in centimeters

Libava%20012_zpsvyyede1i.jpg

Libava%20011_zps7k6iamd5.jpg

Libava%20007_zps6dwutqsf.jpg

Jul 30, 2012
westmidlands
Bush ranger the middle and bottom I think are not generally accepted as uk spieces, I think it's mink and the other of the porcine family, maybe the seasonal visitor, sus volatilis, or something like that.

the top one looks like cat or bear or something, they are rather big though for other uk spieces.

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
Top one is an old track, everything rounded off. Middle a couple of days fresher.
Far too big for mink. My gut reaction was Marten or Fisher is even bigger.
Both circumpolar in mixed/coniferous forests. I saw my very first Fisher Oct/14.
Bears hibernate, I never see their tracks in the snow. Cat prints are round.
So far, so good = nobody reporting cougar tracks in the village this winter.

Bottom is a very deep print with strikes from the rear toes.

Jul 30, 2012
westmidlands
Top one is an old track, everything rounded off. Middle a couple of days fresher.
Far too big for mink. My gut reaction was Marten or Fisher is even bigger.
Both circumpolar in mixed/coniferous forests. I saw my very first Fisher Oct/14.
Bears hibernate, I never see their tracks in the snow. Cat prints are round.
So far, so good = nobody reporting cougar tracks in the village this winter.

Bottom is a very deep print with strikes from the rear toes.

I never really new mink where so tiny, I think the British weasel family speices should be able to eradicate them given a chance.

the reason for the cat thing is that they're rounded to flat and not pointed, but like you say they're old. bears would be a touch bigger though.

BushrangerCZ

Nomad
Dec 23, 2010
in the woods
for three pictures I posted above earlier...
- First one is badger - round print, bear-like but small, strong claws, no other animal is like that
- second one is otter, only one which was a bit tricky (beaver, otter and muskrat tracks can sometimes be hard to tell apart)
- third is wild boar, no magic here - roe deer, red deer, fallow deer, all of these got dewclaws higher up, so they are not visible in the tracks. Boar got them low so they are very distinctive. Easy!
:)

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE