Anyone with type 1 Diabetes? Just been diagnosed with it.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Nemesis

Jan 4, 2010
Surrey
Hi there
My partner has type 1. She knows a great deal about it (did her thesis on it) so if you have any queries I can pass them on.
One thing I would say is once you are used to managing your blood sugar and recognising the signs of hypos and hypers it doesn't need to have a huge impact on your life. (For what it's worth, my other half knows that her blood sugar has dropped whilst she's sleeping as she dreams of eating chocolate. True story. )

I would say the main bits of advice are:

Im sure you know this but Type1 and Type2 are very different so be careful taking advice from anyone who says 'I have diabetes' and gives advice as they may be Type2 and the changes they can make don't have the same effect.

DiabetesUk now focus on Type2 in many of their materials as that's the more prevalent condition (thanks to the diet/lifestyle of our modern age) and therefore that's what all the government funding is going into. A very good Type1 specific charity to go to for advice is the Juvenile Diabetes Research Fund https://www.jdrf.org.uk
Wear an ID bracelet or whatever so first responders can see you are diabetic if it ever comes to that.

Personally I think having a photo with an emergency contact as your lock screen on your phone is wise.

Always have glucose or similar with you (obviously)

Get a Frio insulin pen holder for if you're somewhere warm without refrigeration (or make your own evaporation cooling holder ie a cotton sock)

For the future (and particularly aeroplane travel) my thread below may have some interest.
http://www.bushcraftuk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=114730&highlight=Diabetes

Hope some of that helps but as I say, get in touch if you need to.

Last edited:

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
I'm also a Type 2. Not on insulin (yet) but I suspect I will be soon enough. Currently taking the following non-insulin meds:
1) Victoza = a non-insulin injectable; dose 1.8mg once per day
2) Metformin HCL = a non-insulin oral; dose 500mg twice per day
3) Glyburide/Metformin = a non-insulin oral; dose 5/500 three times per day
4)Pioglitazone (Actos) = a non-insulin oral; dose 30mg once per day

All these are for the diabetes itself, and finally the following to treat the inevitable Neuropathy:
1)L-Methyl-56-B12 (Metanx) = an oral; twice per day

I've been nearsighted since I was 9 years old but until I developed diabetes in my 40s, that was easily corrected. Ever since then though, it cane be a real pain chasing my corrective prescription.

As others have said it requires a lifestyle change (obviously I'm not doing that well with it judging from all the meds) The diet changes can be difficult unless everybody in the household is on board. It's especially difficult for me because my diabetic requirements often conflict with my daughter's Celiac requirements. For example there's a very good low glycemic pasta available (Dreamfields) but she can't have it at all because it's glutenous. On the other hand, the gluten free ones are all high glycemic. We manage but it takes patience and research.

Last edited:

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
For anyone with Diabetes, this place is offering free blood testing kits

http://www.diabetes.co.uk/promotions/verio-iq-giveaway.html

You get them free from the NHS anyway don't you? I did, and free prescriptions for life

This offer is for mainly type 2, but also covers type 1 :)

Even here we get the test kits free. The manufacturers (pharmaceutical companies) hand them out at no charge to be distributed by the doctors. They make their profits from refilling the Rx for the other supplies (test strips, etc) which is covered by the insurance companies here and I presume the NHS there.

Harvestman

Bushcrafter through and through
May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
Hi there
My partner has type 1. She knows a great deal about it (did her thesis on it) so if you have any queries I can pass them on.
One thing I would say is once you are used to managing your blood sugar and recognising the signs of hypos and hypers it doesn't need to have a huge impact on your life. (For what it's worth, my other half knows that her blood sugar has dropped whilst she's sleeping as she dreams of eating chocolate. True story. )

Im sure you know this but Type1 and Type2 are very different so be careful taking advice from anyone who says 'I have diabetes' and gives advice as they may be Type2 and the changes they can make don't have the same effect.

DiabetesUk now focus on Type2 in many of their materials as that's the more prevalent condition (thanks to the diet/lifestyle of our modern age) and therefore that's what all the government funding is going into. A very good Type1 specific charity to go to for advice is the Juvenile Diabetes Research Fund https://www.jdrf.org.uk
Wear an ID bracelet or whatever so first responders can see you are diabetic if it ever comes to that.

Personally I think having a photo with an emergency contact as your lock screen on your phone is wise.

Get a Frio insulin pen holder for if you're somewhere warm without refrigeration (or make your own evaporation cooling holder ie a cotton sock)

For the future (and particularly aeroplane travel) my thread below may have some interest.

This is a really good post, especially the bit about the difference between type 1 and type 2, and type 2 advice not necessarily being appropriate for type 1 diabetes.

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
This is a really good post, especially the bit about the difference between type 1 and type 2, and type 2 advice not necessarily being appropriate for type 1 diabetes.

A really big difference will be the treatment options. Whereas a type 2 might need insulin or might be treated with non-insulins, a type 1 is pretty much assured to need insulin.

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
More than pretty much I'd say. Type 1 does mean Insulin Dependant.

Yep. Although a type 2 may become insulin dependent, he/she is still a type 2; Whereas a type 1 is ALWAYS insulin dependent. It just gets confused often over here.

Golb

Tenderfoot
Oct 30, 2010
Belgium
www.golb.be
Hi,

I was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes almost 10 years ago. I was 25 years old and just like you I lost 10 kg in just over 3 weeks. Since my body didn't produce any insulin anymore, I was burning fat to stay alive. At work I almost decided to move my desk so I could sit closer to the water fountain and the toilet. I drunk a 1,5 liter bottle of lemonade in 20 minutes when my mother in law questioned if I had diabetes. I couldn't believe her. Diabetes was something for old people. My doctor more or less had the same reaction when I brought him a visit to get my blood checked. A day later he called me to tell me I should go to the hospital since the values in my blood were almost 4 times the "healthy" values.

In the hospital they learned me how to use the Novo Rapid and Lantus insulin and gave my a half day training how I should adapt my diet. Now 10 years later I can say I'm doing very well. My life didn't stop like I thought it would. In my daily routine I'm perfectly fine with it. Parties and events are a bit more difficult since you often have to tell people you don't drink orange juice or wine, but prefer a glass of water. You can't eat cookies when you want or when they offer them to you.

Make sure you always carry sugar and you glucose meter. When you notice your blood-sugar is low (hypo) you should be able to take some sugar immediately. Also it's important to keep your insulin cool. When the insulin gets hotter then 37° it degrades fast. I use the Frio Cooling cases http://www.frioinsulincoolingcase.com/ in the summer or on vacation. These things only need water to work and keep your insulin cool via evaporating water.

When you plan to do more physical exercise then normal, use less insulin or eat extra carbohydrates.
Diabetes didn't stop me from buschcrafting, and neither should it stop you ;-) It only takes some extra planning.

Cheers
Golb

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Forgot to mention, it also affects your dental health. I now qualify for professional cleanings 4 times per year opposed to the normal twice a year. Tooth decay and gum disease are more prevalent in diabetics.

Webley31

Dec 12, 2014
Linwood
Hi there

Thank God you have pointed out the difference between T1 & T2 was reading through and was going to post myself till I saw this from you Nemesis! My daughter is T1 has been for 6yrs now and it really annoys me when people just hear diabetes and think "diet will save you" "don't eat suger/carbs" not thinking what type of diabetes have they got, sugar/carbs can and does save T1's life's!
Type 1 diabetes is not something you get from eating wrong it's an autoimmune condition and there is nothing you can do apart from take your insulin as your DSN tells/shows you and eat a healthy balanced diet.

sunndog

May 23, 2014
derbyshire
No worries dude. The worst thing I find about diabetes is the mixed up advice you get, and that's from the professionals

For instance my first dietician told not to worry about natural sugers in fruit....seriously

Webley31

Dec 12, 2014
Linwood
No worries dude. The worst thing I find about diabetes is the mixed up advice you get, and that's from the professionals

For instance my first dietician told not to worry about natural sugers in fruit....seriously
We had the same thing when my little girl was diagnosed now she has the insulin pump and Bolases for all carbs, touch wood she's doing great 😃

HillBill

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 1, 2008
W. Yorkshire
I'll reply to all these comments when i can see well enough to read them properly. Thanks for all the input so far guys, its appreciated. :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE