How much does your pack weigh for a winter tramp and camp ?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Kiwi Tim

Oct 24, 2014
Taranaki
Hopefully going tramping up Ruapehu this weekend. Plan to do a bit of bush bashing up to a waterfall that doesn't have any tracks to it and camp the night in a tent. Will be cold . By the time I packed all the warm gear the pack felt really heavy and thats without any food.
What does your typical pack weigh for a winter camp ?

Tristar777

Nomad
Mar 19, 2011
North Somerset UK
Hi.
I have to keep my weight down to a minimum due to dodgy knees and feet!
I stealth camp a lot so no fires just a small stove.
Weight of my pack is never more than 30lbs and 3/4 of that is probably sleep system. Everything else is either cut to the minimal or left out of the pack.
I hope that helps to get a few more replies for you!

widu13

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 9, 2008
Ubique Quo Fas Et Gloria Ducunt
Hopefully going tramping up Ruapehu this weekend. Plan to do a bit of bush bashing up to a waterfall that doesn't have any tracks to it and camp the night in a tent. Will be cold . By the time I packed all the warm gear the pack felt really heavy and thats without any food.
What does your typical pack weigh for a winter camp ?

Don't carry too much- when you're walking you will be warm and won't need lots and lots of clothes, I often walk in a baselayer and windshirt. When you stop for the night you'll be in your doss bag,

Clouston98

Woodsman & Beekeeper
Aug 19, 2013
Cumbria
Roughly 13kg or sometime more but I very rarely take anything over 15kg and I use all traditional materials like wool and canvas so it's not bad. I'm young and fit so even on longer trips I've never had any problems carrying it and more importantly I don't get cold! :)

Jul 30, 2012
westmidlands
about 17 kg all in.

this includes
1kg fuel
5kg food
2kg water
1.5kg bag
1kg clothes

that's for 5 days so there's not that much room for manoeuvre.

if it was just for one night, you can virtually go without a framed rucksack. bivvy, sleepingbag sleep mat little bit of food small pot meths cooker and a dribble of meths no clothes and if your following the river less water. a bag and a few other things shouldn't come to anything over 6kg

Hi.
I have to keep my weight down to a minimum due to dodgy knees and feet!
I stealth camp a lot so no fires just a small stove.
Weight of my pack is never more than 30lbs and 3/4 of that is probably sleep system. Everything else is either cut to the minimal or left out of the pack.
I hope that helps to get a few more replies for you!

Tristar. I've dodgy knees. Found that using two poles really takes the weight off and you get more stability on rough ground. Especially going down hill which really is hard on them knobblies.

Windy

cbr6fs

Native
Mar 30, 2011
Athens, Greece
10kg for winter camping is impressive.

Quick search and it looks like he is using a 3.5kg rucksack (lowe alpine sting)
1kg for water, 1kg for food and that's 5.5kg and over 1/2 the target weight without, shelter, bedding, clothes, pots, stove etc

It's possible to have a comfortable winter night out with under 10kg, but it's pricey and needs a fair bit of experience in kit choice.

lannyman8

Jan 18, 2009
Dark side of the Moon
well I normally look at about 20 kg if im just having a bit of a mooch then camp in the woods. if im going further that means more food and water. if i want to play with some kit then maybe even more...

last weekend my pack was 24 kg with lots of warm clothes and food, i also had 3 stoves because i wanted to have a play with them...

the weight does not bother me much, but as other posts say above spend a fortune on kit and it will be much lighter...:)

copper_head

Feb 22, 2006
Hull
Around the 15kg mark for me, probably a bit more if I go in the hammock.

Last edited:

BigX

Tenderfoot
Jan 8, 2014
England
last weekend my pack was 24 kg with lots of warm clothes and food, i also had 3 stoves because i wanted to have a play with them)

24kg - Wow! Well, I suppose the Romans marched with 30kg in sandals.

Personally I don't think it's that hard - or expensive - to go out in winter, not if you're only going for 1-2 days.

My standard pack weight is 8kg including water and food. I carry another 1.5kg on my waist (water, crusader, stove and gas)
None of this is ultralight and none of it that expensive. Pack £30, tent £80, mat £70, stove a tenner.

My experience is that if you carry less, you tend to go more, just because it doesn't feel like such a big deal to throw half a dozen things in a day sack and head off.

Although it does sound more fun to take three stoves. And an axe. And a Dutch oven...

Philster

Settler
Jun 8, 2014
Poole, Dorset
My pack usually weighs between 15 and 20 kilos at this time of year. Went on an overnighter on the weekend and tried to cut back a little so ended up about 15kg including clothing, sleep system, tarp, cook set, food and drink. And a few more beers ;)

lannyman8

Jan 18, 2009
Dark side of the Moon
24kg - Wow! Well, I suppose the Romans marched with 30kg in sandals.

Personally I don't think it's that hard - or expensive - to go out in winter, not if you're only going for 1-2 days.

My standard pack weight is 8kg including water and food. I carry another 1.5kg on my waist (water, crusader, stove and gas)
None of this is ultralight and none of it that expensive. Pack £30, tent £80, mat £70, stove a tenner.

My experience is that if you carry less, you tend to go more, just because it doesn't feel like such a big deal to throw half a dozen things in a day sack and head off.

Although it does sound more fun to take three stoves. And an axe. And a Dutch oven...

Its ok for me, I am used to it as i train allot, so 20kg is nothing out of the ordinary, and in fact my standard weight for training, the 24 kg was due to wanting to play with new stoves under cold conditions to see how they performed, and worked very well, so well i will from now on use a multi fuel stove every winter, which i hated the idea of before, and as it turns out is also quite fuel efficient, even when melting snow....:):):):)

BigX

Tenderfoot
Jan 8, 2014
England
Went to a talk by Ranulph Fiennes the other week. He showed a picture of the tent he took on his first polar expedition (which had been designed by Captain Scott) - it weighed 160lb. The tent he took on his last jaunt? 8lb.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE