Camping in Japan - advice needed please

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Trojan

Silver Trader
Mar 20, 2009
The Countryside
Hi

I was hoping to get advice from the many experienced members here please!

Next August I will be camping in Japan and wondered if anyone had any experience of this and could give me tips on how to stay cool, jetlag, food and what kit to take.

What clothes etc did you take, how did you stay hydrated etc?

I have camped extensively in the UK and Eastern Europe but never in Asia! I have lots of cold weather/UK summer gear but nothing for very climates.

I look forward to hearing from you all.

Many thanks

Trojan

Last edited:

Trojan

Silver Trader
Mar 20, 2009
The Countryside
98 people have viewed this thread so far and not a single reply! I am surprised! I am not sure I should leave these shores without advice from Bushuk!

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
98 people have viewed this thread so far and not a single reply! I am surprised! I am not sure I should leave these shores without advice from Bushuk!

I'd venture to guess that few of us on the forum have ever camped in Japan and thus have no advice to give. That said, we're still curious about the subject so we click on the thread to see whatever comments are made.

tiger stacker

Native
Dec 30, 2009
Glasgow
My sister stayed there 20 odd years ago, nice country with impeccable manners. Best take your own sleeping bag, due to sizing issues.

Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
I have never camped out in Japan but I have met a fair few Japanese backpackers elsewhere. They all travelled light, very small packs. I think they managed this because they used lightweight clothing, which in one case at least included a slik blouse, skirt and jacket that rolled up to almost nothing. They also tended to keep themselves clean and were quite disciplined about keeping their clothing and kit in good order.

I don't know if that helps but best of luck on your trip and do take some pictures and notes an post here on your return.

:)

Old Bones

Settler
Oct 14, 2009
East Anglia
Try Outdoor Magic - http://www.outdoorsmagic.com/ A quick search for 'camping in Japan' came up with a fair number of hits, although the first one is from a decade ago!

Most of us havn't visited Japan, and even fewer have camped there, so information is a little limited, relative to other places.

The US website Trailspace might also have something on their forums http://www.trailspace.com/ - I'm sure Google can bring up some info as well, if only from US based expats.

Ichneumon

Nomad
Jul 4, 2011
Lancashire (previously Dartmoor)
I haven't been to Japan, but I have been to China. I know they are not the same but there are some similarities

Camping is camping - you sleep in a tent/hammock and that remains much the same wherever you are.

The big differences will be cultural and these will be much bigger, yet small, stranger and weirder than you could ever imagined. They will be both wonderful and surprising. Things you have always taken for granted - forget them. Culture shock will hit you like a ton of bricks - but if you are open to these things they will be eye-openers and wonderful to behold. Example: In China they drink pints of beer from tiny shot glasses and celibrate the death of their grandma by dancing in the street and letting off fireworks, I'm pretty sure the Japanese will have equally surprising (to our eyes) traditions.

Jet-lag - forget it! Adrenalin will take over and rule this out of the equation.

Clothing? From what I know the Japanese climate is not hugely different from the UK so go with clothing suitable for a UK climate - but don't quote me on this.

If you are just camping on campsites your biggest problem will be reading the signs (in Japanese). If you are out in the countryside and practicing bushcraft your biggest problem will be that you won't recognise a single plant, tree or bird. In China I could only recognise dandelions, buttercups and clover (not natives) and not a single tree, but when in Europe I can recognise and name most trees and many plants.

I love to go to these places and hope you will enjoy your time there as much as I do.

Bon voyage!

P.S. And learn to use chopsticks confidently - no really!

Last edited:

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
Um, let me look at my library...

...De Vissers `The Tengu`...Your not planning on hammocking are you? Do you think thats a good idea???

Seriously though, I have some information on weather and climate...Ill find that out.

(Lafcadio Hearn commented on the Japanese perchant for light travel, incidentally.)

Wayne

Mod
Mod
Dec 7, 2003
West Sussex
www.forestknights.co.uk
I have taught bushcraft in Japan. Great location fantastic people good food. Camping wise you will struggle to find places to wild camp. Where are you planning on staying?

The humidity in August is going to be a killer and the noise to cicadas can make sleep challenging.

Brynglas

I've travelled extensively in Japan, which areas are you looking to explore? As far as camping is concerned, it's pretty easy, most sites are well ordered, facilities can be fairly basic in some but generally very well kept. I've only camped in the South there are some great spots near Kigoshima and Nagasaki. The Japanese tourist board can provide lists of sites etc. If You DM me I'll see if I can dig some stuff out. Summer is warm, and you can get some protracted heavy downpours which will test even the hardiest camper! Mozzzies can be a pain so prepare for them.

The main thing to remember is that Japanese people are extremely polite and place a high value on manners and behaviour. It's a crowded country so things would soon unravel if they didn't! Neatness, tidiness and cleanliness are major points to remember. So wherever you camp, try and keep your kit and personal space tidy. If you're backpacking or touring the Onsens are great places to get clean but get the protocols right, wash and rinse before getting into the baths! Also, if you have tattoos they can be a bit touchy about them being on show.
I guess that the other big thing in Japan is travel, the Japan Rail pass is fantastic and essential but you can only buy it here before you get to Japan.

I love Japan, the country and people are fantastic. The food is great and it's easy to do on a budget.

This is a bit rushed right now but if you have any specific questions don't hesitate. If you have any specific locations in mind let me know and I'll see if I can recommend anywhere.

I've travelled extensively in Japan, which areas are you looking to explore? As far as camping is concerned, it's pretty easy, most sites are well ordered, facilities can be fairly basic in some but generally very well kept. I've only camped in the South there are some great spots near Kigoshima and Nagasaki. The Japanese tourist board can provide lists of sites etc. If You DM me I'll see if I can dig some stuff out. Summer is warm, and you can get some protracted heavy downpours which will test even the hardiest camper! Mozzzies can be a pain so prepare for them.

The main thing to remember is that Japanese people are extremely polite and place a high value on manners and behaviour. It's a crowded country so things would soon unravel if they didn't! Neatness, tidiness and cleanliness are major points to remember. So wherever you camp, try and keep your kit and personal space tidy. If you're backpacking or touring the Onsens are great places to get clean but get the protocols right, wash and rinse before getting into the baths! Also, if you have tattoos they can be a bit touchy about them being on show.
I guess that the other big thing in Japan is travel, the Japan Rail pass is fantastic and essential but you can only buy it here before you get to Japan.

I love Japan, the country and people are fantastic. The food is great and it's easy to do on a budget.

This is a bit rushed right now but if you have any specific questions don't hesitate. If you have any specific locations in mind let me know and I'll see if I can recommend anywhere.

did you ever have problems with animals while camping?! last year i had a tanuki (=racoon dog) stealing my lunch in broad daylight while i was working on a mountain side; later that same day i had a troop of monkeys coming past (i heard they can be annoying, too...) + there are bears as well.... (more of an issue if you camp wild i guess...)

Brynglas

I have to say, apart from mozzies, ants and an unpleasant encounter with about 10,000 cockroaches on Ioujima, no. Not whilst camping anyway. The local deer in popular tourist spots like Nara and Myiajima are quite prepared to steal food from your hand or bag, they're quite aggressive as well.

Whilst there may be bears and other animals, normal drills about no food in tents or near your camp spots apply. I'd be far more keen to look at my kit and make sure it'll cope with warm humid summer conditions and potentially heavy rain. Winter in Japan can see huge snowfalls in some areas.

troutman

Nomad
May 14, 2012
North East (UK)
Interesting thread and I will certainly be checking back to see what everyone suggests. I haven't been to Japan but I have done a lot of long haul distance travel. The key to avoiding jet lag is not going to sleep as soon as you get there. When you get on the plane in the uk set your watch to their local time. Try to get a flight that leaves here in an evening and arrives roughly in their morning. Go to sleep as soon as you get on the plane and try to sleep.

I have only seen 1 bear in a Japan in the North would like to see more :). Mostly issues are with insects. I tend to try and a void the busiest tourist areas like Nikko NP.

have'nt seen any myself either (but would love to) apart from the encounter with the tanuki (see post #15) i only had problems with leeches during last summer's rains and with a biting insect....

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE