Article: How To…. Carve and Use an Adjustable Pot Hanger

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Paulm

May 27, 2008
Hants
Looks like you had fun George, and the young lad looks impressed too :)

Is there a benefit to taking the time to remove the bark ? I guess it would be good to do that if intending to keep the pot hook and re-use a few times ?

Cheers, Paul

Seoras

Mod
Mod
Oct 7, 2004
Bramley, Hampshire
Hi Paul

There is no need to remove the bark in the short term. I like to get rid of it as it will start to peel off eventually if you are using it long term.

I have had bits of bark fall into uncovered pots before.

Cheers

George

Adze

Native
Oct 9, 2009
Cumbria
www.adamhughes.net
Anything on the bark, e.g. bird droppings etc. is removed if you remove the bark. Condensation from a boiling pot below the hanger can wash stuff into an unlidded pot. Even if the bark appears clean, best to remove it in the same way you remove the wrapper from a banana or a satsuma ;)

Paulm

May 27, 2008
Hants
Makes sense guys, thanks, figured there was probably a reason but couldn't figure what !

Cheers, Paul

Ruud

Jun 29, 2012
Belgium
www.rudecheers.wordpress.com
and as a plus the stick will dry very fast and will become very lightweight (in case you want to use the set-up again the next day after a hike). I always remove the bark of my bows for bow drilling for exact the same reason, very lightweight but still strong piece of wood.

Dave

Hill Dweller
Sep 17, 2003
Brigantia
Thanks for the great review and photos of the collapsible pot hanger George.:)

The type of pot hanger I am talking about is shown below hanging off a ‘Wagon Stick’ (pronounced waygone)

However, to be an anorak, geeky type, Im sure these are actually called a Waugan stick, [pronounced worgan stick] and even though there are people on the web describing them as 'wagon sticks' its not accurate, and I thinks its been lost in translation. [probably on the other side of the pond first.....]

I was told, [and Im not sure whether it was tongue in cheek] that there was an ancient forest spirit called the Waugan spirit who would possess your soul, unless, you flung the four sticks, one east, one west, one south and one north, after you had finished using it. :)

Last edited:

Seoras

Mod
Mod
Oct 7, 2004
Bramley, Hampshire
Cheers for the update Dave as it all adds to the story.

I have only been told it points its magical finger for the naughty wood spirits to follow you and upset your day :)

As to the spelling I think you will get variations on it dependent upon the area you are in. I have only heard of it being pronounced 'way gone' but now that I know another spelling I will research it in more detail.

Cheers

George

Seoras

Mod
Mod
Oct 7, 2004
Bramley, Hampshire
and as a plus the stick will dry very fast and will become very lightweight (in case you want to use the set-up again the next day after a hike). I always remove the bark of my bows for bow drilling for exact the same reason, very lightweight but still strong piece of wood.

Definitely dries a lot faster Ruud.

I like to get all the bark off my drill pieces (particularly that fine inner bark) as it can splay out like a skirt as you drill and blast your ember away.

Dave

Hill Dweller
Sep 17, 2003
Brigantia
Cheers for the update Dave as it all adds to the story.

I have only been told it points its magical finger for the naughty wood spirits to follow you and upset your day :)

As to the spelling I think you will get variations on it dependent upon the area you are in. I have only heard of it being pronounced 'way gone' but now that I know another spelling I will research it in more detail.

Cheers

George

Yeh, I was told to try and find all the pieces from one tree, but have never have been able to.

It takes me a while to find the right bits of wood, So I keep em, at home in the garage, then if Im going somewhere, I can use it, I can just take it and set it up.

The other thing I heard it called was the burtonsville rig, by mors kochanski, as he first saw one used in burtonsville island.

Video of him making one on youtube.

[video=youtube;bnMXXuha9PE]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bnMXXuha9PE[/video]

Last edited:

sargey

Mod
Mod
Member of Bushcraft UK Academy
Sep 11, 2003
cheltenham, glos
excellent work george! big thumbs up from me. :You_Rock_

i remember the first time i saw mors carving a pot hanger notch in about four seconds with three well placed whacks of a bat! i was so gobsmacked i got on the phone to a highly skilled bushcraft instructor friend to tell him about it. iirc i was accused of over doing it on the moonshine and to trot off cause y' can't make a notch like that in four seconds.... :lmao::rolleyes:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE