Hilleberg Akto

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Squidders

Aug 3, 2004
Harrow, Middlesex
Hey All,

I know many here have knowledge of shops and online retailers where good prices can be found. I'm in the market for a Hilleberg Akto and wonder if you all could help me find the best price?

Woodlore have it on special offer at the moment at £423.00 including delivery... Cotswold are £416.50 including delivery with my members discount. Any better out there?

Cheers,
Joe.

Tiley

Life Member
Oct 19, 2006
Gloucestershire
Go for a Tarptent Scarp 2 instead. It's a better tent being lighter, less prone to condensation problems and less expensive than your Hilleberg choice. I took mine to Greenland the summer before last and it performed brilliantly in all weather conditions, including rain, snow and driving, powerful wind.

Imagedude

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 24, 2011
Gwynedd
I replaced my Akto with a Scarp 1, not 100% sure it was the right thing to do but they're both good tents. If weight isn't an issue you can often pick up a Soulo for a decent price on ebay or from one of the mountaineering forums eg ukclimber or outdoorsmagic.

Squidders

Aug 3, 2004
Harrow, Middlesex
There are a number of reasons why I believe the Akto is the best choice for me and my methods. I'm sure the alternatives are very good but I am confident in my choice and am merely looking for the best price.

I appreciate the advice and recommendations.

Jul 30, 2012
westmidlands
field and treck have the vango helium carbon over 1/2 price.

http://www.fieldandtrek.com/vango-helium-200-tent--783280?colcode=78328090

sane price as the heavier option. I have been reliably informed by canoe paddler that it is the carbon one, but I wouldn't touch it with a barge pole, these carbon fibre poles you have to be careful with these carbon fibre poles, they are not in anyway as robust as aluminium. in my humble opinion.

it's this one here,

http://www.force-ten.co.uk/gb/lightweight-tents/53-helium-carbon-200.html

the carbon version must have a surplus for some reason.

Squidders

Aug 3, 2004
Harrow, Middlesex
I did buy an Akto in the end, have test pitched it in my back garden a few times and am taking it to the woods tomorrow night for a few nights.

I can't wait.

MarkN

Jan 13, 2015
Dorset
Hi Joe,

I see it's too late, as you've already bought one. I bought mine through Woodlore last year as they were throwing in a free footprint for it.

I have to say though, if mine is anything to go on, you'll be delighted with it, mine has been superb. Very easy to put up and it's as tough as nails.
Cheers
Mark

Squidders

Aug 3, 2004
Harrow, Middlesex
I nearly got it from Woodlore but it was cheaper and easier for me to get it from my local Cotswold Outdoor. All the offers with a free footprint were at the £490 rrp.

I had a very nice weekend in it, very cozy.

10425458_10152529069796644_5279627184327713669_n.jpg

Attachments

• 10425458_10152529069796644_5279627184327713669_n.jpg
    10425458_10152529069796644_5279627184327713669_n.jpg
    97.2 KB · Views: 18

Squidders

Aug 3, 2004
Harrow, Middlesex
Small differences... I wanted an amount of space inside that was "just right"... not too much to heat up in the winter but still roomy for one.

I also like the the volume and shape of storage in the vestibule. the entrance on the Anjan looks tight if you use it for storage and cooking where as the Akto is perfect.

I figure if you're paying so much for something, it's worth getting that thing as perfect to your personal taste as possible... but the Akto isn't perfect. It's just as close as I can find at the moment.

Jul 30, 2012
westmidlands
yup, the inner on the atko is protected by the porch, where as the anjan it is is a bit open too, no real permanent storage as well I suppose. that leads me to thinking of the similar long 3 pole tunnel they do, but then the weights going considerably up I suppose.

Nohoval_Turrets

Sep 28, 2004
Ireland
Small differences... I wanted an amount of space inside that was "just right"... not too much to heat up in the winter but still roomy for one.

I also like the the volume and shape of storage in the vestibule. the entrance on the Anjan looks tight if you use it for storage and cooking where as the Akto is perfect.

I figure if you're paying so much for something, it's worth getting that thing as perfect to your personal taste as possible... but the Akto isn't perfect. It's just as close as I can find at the moment.

After 10+ years of using the Akto fairly regularly (although admittedly less since I got a Golite Shangri-la 3), it still impresses me how spot-on it is for a one-person shelter. It goes up easily and quickly, is surprisingly roomy with lots of storage, has a good vestibule for cooking, stands up to bad weather easily. And its just... a nice place to be. Good luck with your Akto, it will serve well for many years!

Paul_B

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
I've seen an atko getting a right battering from the winds on the top of a hill. I enjoyed watching the tent spring back up after 5 minutes of being blown so flat against the central pole and the occupant that you could see her face through the fabric. It still came up when that long, sustained burst of strong wind ended. It was serously strong winds and I would guess close the limit of the ATKO. The wind was hitting it at the best angle for the tent design (hitting the streamlined end first) but seriously would you want to sleep in a tent with the fabric blown into you face that much? I'll never do that again but would drop down first.

I was also relieved it ended as I was in a flat tarp pitched about 3m away at the time. TBH I think my tarp took the wind better but I don't know how. It was held up by a front trekking pole A frame and at the back with a trekking pole lifter. I did have to lower the pitch earlier in then night just in case it picked up.

Brynglas

I've had my akto for four years now and it's never let me down. I've used it on mountains in Scotland and Wales and have been impressed by how it deals with all sorts of weather. I haven't tried other similar tents but I'm very happy with my akto

Paul_B

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
I've had my akto for four years now and it's never let me down. I've used it on mountains in Scotland and Wales and have been impressed by how it deals with all sorts of weather. I haven't tried other similar tents but I'm very happy with my akto

That early morning I lay there watching the Atko take the battering I too was impressed.

I had a mate who snapped a Geodesic tent pole from Terra Nova (Quasar) while another guy was ok in his Nallo from hilleberg. I wasn't on that trip but they were at a lower level with some shelter at the time wind not as strong as the night I had watching the Atko get a battering. Of course IMHO Hilleberg tents are all pretty much at the highest level possible in quality and bad weather performance so I have no wonder at how the atko survived and the nallo never broke a pole.

BTW the expensive, heavy and solid Quasar geodesic tent probably broke a pole because it is designed to be rigid. The Nallo that night would have flexed badly but that saved it. The Quasar would not have flexed enough to take the wind gusts without breaking a pole. I'm not saying a tunnel tent is a better design just it has inherent advantages. The hoop tent like the atko has its advantages in the same way with just one pole.

The best feature of the atko IMHO is th internal, useable length. It will take someone like me at 6'5" tall. There are not many light weight tents that can. I do believe it is the lightest 1 man tent I can fit into at 1.5kg. Can you double pole the Atko too like some of their tunnel tents?

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE