any help id ing this rock?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

andybysea

Oct 15, 2008
South east Scotland.
View attachment 33940View attachment 33941 found this rock on a remote beach it has a slight magnetic attraction, it has been impacted and fractured on one edge showing inner surface, outside is smooth and glossy as if its been subjected to heat, it appears very dense and hard and weighs 400 g its probably red hematite, but would love it to be something interesting any thoughts????

andybysea

Oct 15, 2008
South east Scotland.
If its red leicester its past its best, i did originally think poss volcanic, i do live 50 or so miles from Arthurs seat,my brother came up with possible hematite via the photos shown (as he lives in Hampshire) so cant actually see it in the flesh so to speak, as i mentioned tried a very small magnet and certain spots of the rock are able to pick up the magnet.

Paul_B

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
Looks like some kind of slag or waste material to me. If you melt igneous rock then pour into water apart from steam you tend to get a kind of pillow shape which often breaks off.

As for the slight magnetism there are igneous rocks with magnetism of course. Then again I think it is possible that some iron furnace slag can also have a little magnetism and can also look a bit like those photos. Looking on a 5.2" smartphone screen so it's not very clear, so I could very easily be wrong.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Haematitic iron concretion….often with the marcasite that JAG009 mentions.

Try striking it with a flint and if you get a dull red spark…there you go :D

M

HWMBLT

Apr 2, 2009
Bothwell
Looks like a lump of boitroidal haematite. They are heavy with a shiny appearance on the outside. Try scraping it on something it should leave a red streak.

andybysea

Oct 15, 2008
South east Scotland.
I wish it was. I did camp on the same beach a few years ago and im sure i saw one entering the atmosphere on the horizon (nope wasnt a saterlite streaking across the sky) it was much larger much slower, it was night time looking out to sea,i saw a bright orange ball travelling along the horizon before dipping below it(and i wasnt to drunk honest guv).

Kerne

Maker
Dec 16, 2007
Gloucestershire
Haematite is my guess. Back when I did O level Geology we used to scrape it across a piece of porcelain to see what colour it streaked. As HWMBLT said.

TinkyPete

Sep 4, 2009
uk mainly in the Midlands though

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE