We didn't do the Green thing.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
If you're alive enough to post about the size of dustbins then you are very much as current as anyone of any age.

Well said :D

The earlier comment about the fire being used to burn stuff holds true as well…..though I personally like living now with clean air around.

I think the biggest burden is the expectation that owners will make a profit from selling a house. That means that there is no stability in the housing market, that instead of buying to live in, folks buy to make it a nest egg….they hope…..and they take out and maintain loans to the highest value they can. Three and a half times salary for instance. That's stupid and not tenable long term.

M

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
......I think the biggest burden is the expectation that owners will make a profit from selling a house. That means that there is no stability in the housing market, that instead of buying to live in, folks buy to make it a nest egg….they hope…..and they take out and maintain loans to the highest value they can. Three and a half times salary for instance. That's stupid and not tenable long term.

M

Three times the annual salary has been the rule of thumb for how expensive a mortgage you can afford for at least 70 years. Not a rule that I'd personally follow, but the norm none-the-less.

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
70 years seems a long time to take on a mortgage for. :)

LOL. I agree. The 3 times your annual salary has always been for a standard 30 year mortgage though. Trouble is that nobody intends to stay in a home 30 years and actually pay it off anymore. As Toddy said, they want to stay a couple of years and sell at a profit; just remortgaging the property over and over with new owners every couple of years.

tim_n

Feb 8, 2010
Essex
Industrial processes in the 50s and 60s being so green. Smog from factories poisoning the air, unregulated waste being dumped, lots of hazardous legacies being born (asbestos, waste radioactive bits)

People remember the good, forget the bad. Yes the 80s and 90s set a different pace of wasteful consumerism, but don't tell me it was greener!

Swallow

Native
May 27, 2011
London
[FONT=&amp]the current generation seem to need a bigger dustbin than we used in the sixties. dustbins have ''grown'' in size, the picture below shows the ''metal dustbin'' we used back then on the left, the wheelie bin on the right is what is supplied to many today[/FONT].

dustbins.jpg

And the big green bin can be filled with plastic wrappings which were not in use at the time the dustbin was.

As for smog that still hangs round the factories, it's just the factories are not in this country any more.

cbr6fs

Native
Mar 30, 2011
Athens, Greece
It's important to point out that people in general back in the 70's didn't care jot about the environment.
Sure there were a few knocking around, but most thought these folks were hippies.

Folks didn't have TV's cause they were expensive then, the same with big cars.

Pop bottles were recycled because you got money back on them, folks didn't do it to save the penguins.

Also worth considering that in the areas i grew up in pretty much every house had a wood or coal burning fire, these both have a absolutely devastating effect on the environment, both locally and globally.

Nuclear weapon testing went into absolute overdrive during this generation as well

[video=youtube;LLCF7vPanrY]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LLCF7vPanrY[/video]

Sure they were fewer cars on the road, but they were also dramatically less efficient, they also ran on on 4 star leaded fuel.

It's easy for folks that reach a certain age to don their rose tinted specs, the reality is really as good as it's remembered though.

Joonsy

Native
Jul 24, 2008
UK
The era was certainly good for a specific set of people. On the other hand we female boomers suffered severe gender discrimination.

I certainly sympathise with young people now because house prices in particular are making it hugely difficult and that is made worse by the huge debts that many have to take out for their education, but the boomer generation didn't all have it as easy as is sometimes made out.
certainly didn’t, housing has always been a problem, anybody remember the moving 1960s film Cathy Come Home, incidenatally the charity Shelter was set up a few days after the film was broadcast.

not easy to keep a dry eye watching this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g9NZhnU0tuo

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Also worth considering that in the areas i grew up in pretty much every house had a wood or coal burning fire, these both have a absolutely devastating effect on the environment, both locally and globally.

Care to explain how my wood based heating is having a devastating effect on the environment? Compared to burning fossil fuels for example?

tommy the cat

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 6, 2007
SHROPSHIRE UK
Morrisons have them with a weird plastic in the paper bag????
To be honest I don't buy much from supermarkets really so can't comment....
Judging by the latest headlines on glyphosphate I'm not sure how many veggies I want to buy from there at all.....😨

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Have you not shopped in a market recently????
I sill use them as do many of the market stalls in fact if I buy mushrooms from a supermarket it peeves me to put them in plastic....

Yeah you can still get paper bags here IF you ask for them. But the transition to plastic started in the early 90s and was more or less complete by mid decade. Mushrooms here come pre-packed small cardboard containers with a cellophane layer over them (either 8 ounce or 16 ounce sizes) and have done so all my life.

As you say, they're much more common at small markets (although not even that is a certainty) There are precious few actual farmers markets left here though.

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
It's important to point out that people in general back in the 70's didn't care jot about the environment.
Sure there were a few knocking around, but most thought these folks were hippies.

Folks didn't have TV's cause they were expensive then, the same with big cars.

Pop bottles were recycled because you got money back on them, folks didn't do it to save the penguins.

Nuclear weapon testing went into absolute overdrive during this generation as well

[video=youtube;LLCF7vPanrY]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LLCF7vPanrY[/video]

Sure they were fewer cars on the road, but they were also dramatically less efficient, they also ran on on 4 star leaded fuel.

It's easy for folks that reach a certain age to don their rose tinted specs, the reality is really as good as it's remembered though.

Did you mean the 50s/early 60s rather than the 70's ?

Old Bones

Settler
Oct 14, 2009
East Anglia

I would agree. The 1970's certainly had a great deal of environmental awareness. Kit Pedler's Doomwatch TV programme, whcih featured many of the environmental concerns at the time, started in 1972, whilst Earth Day started in the US in 1970. Marvin Gaye's Mercy Mercy Me (The Ecology) came out in 1971, and The Club of Rome's Limits to Growth was published in 1972. Greenpeace was found in 1970 (as Dont Make a Wave) to protest against nuclear testing, and Friends of the Earth in 1971. The Dr Who story The Green Death (1973) was all about industrial pollution.

In fact the 1960's saw a large rise in environmental concerns, pushed by disasters like the 1967 Torre Canyon, the Publishing of Silent Spring in 1962, and by 1970, Ricard Nixon (yes, Richard Nixon!), signed into law a whole series of laws governing pollution control, etc, and setting up the EPA, which followed on from the work of the Johnson Administration. In the UK, Clean Air Acts radically changed British cities (my dad pulled down out bungalow's chimneys' in 1972, since he had no use for coal fires by that point), and there were also increasing protests against the demolition of older buildings, such as those led by Betjeman.

Loads of people had TV's in the 1970s', although we often rented them or had them on HP, and although people had fewer cars than now, the age of the car was certainly there to stay.

Environmental concerns were different from today. Nuclear testing was an issue, the amount of fossil fuel available (although the US president had been warned in 1969 of the dangers of buring them in terms of climate change), population increases, dumping of mercury and nuclear waste into the sea, and pollution from smokestacks, etc. Nuclear power was also questioned, and the amount of pollution in rivers and landfill was also a problem. And once the oil crisis and 3 day week etc hit homes, solar and other 'alternative' energy sources had a great deal of interest from government.

This did not mean that everyone cared about the environment, far from it, but the media was certain aware of concerns, and the general public in many cases, shared them.

Pop bottles (Corona!) might have has money back on them, but once plastic took over, that was it!

As far as housing is concerned, its now amazingly expensive, and although we now own owr own home, I still think the group Priced Out have a lot that needs to be heard by all of us .http://www.pricedout.org.uk/

presterjohn

Settler
Apr 13, 2011
United Kingdom
Modern life seems to be a bit of a trade off. These days anything leisure or information based is cheap and plentiful. My phone alone has the internet, radio, albums, books, films and TV shows on it and all in hi def and stereo. Travel has never been easier and again my phone can translate newspapers and help me to talk and understand many languages. All this for just a couple of hundred quid. I find that mind blowing. On the other hand a decent house in a decent area will cost you around a couple of hundred grand which is crazy money and cost you another fifteen hundred a year in gas and electric. The big permanent stuff houses and a nice environment to live in are where we now struggle.

cbr6fs

Native
Mar 30, 2011
Athens, Greece

At least in the areas i grew up in and the media i read/watched back then the "environment" wasn't really a concern to most i knew, there was very little media reporting of environmental concerns.

As i say there were hippies about, but very few had any real specific concerns.

But then i grew up in what would be considered lower working class areas, the main concern was to put food on the table and keep the house warm in winter.

My grandparents were thrifty, but this was because they'd lived through the war so didn't have that feeling of entitlement that many seem to have these days.
Things were repaired rather than replaced, but again this was more down to saving money than saving the planet, plus there used to be a infrastructure back then for repairing stuff.

First time i can think of "the environment" being newsworthy in any consistent precise form was when CFC gases were the bad guy, which must have been in the 80's

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE