Interesting way to make a knife

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
in the vid he puts the edge on the straight side as opposed to the curve.. does anyone know if their is a reason for this? or is it prefence.

Just preference I think so it can be used fine detail carving

Nice work so far. It should look like a great handle when you finish it :)

wheelnut

Tenderfoot
Dec 14, 2012
UK
Not trying to cause a row but just to correct some assumptions:
I like that. Is it necessary to quench it so many times though?
Nope. Some people have it in their heads that triple quench is the way its done for better performance. Its a load of rubbish, the steel benefits from as little heat applied as possible, get it to hardening temp, quench, temper it... done. By doing it 3 times, you are just resetting it each time from the last time you did it.

Although that is true, he did it 3 times more than likely to ensure the oil gets into the pores of the steel to blacken and get the oil absorbed into the surface to help anti corrosion as well as to harden it.

Nice craftsmanship, but i'm imagining it's hss, and that blade is very very thin. I give it about 2 weeks before its snapped!
Standard engineers 'jobber' drills are made of 2 steels and welded together on manufacture. HSS only makes up the drilling part and a softer steel makes up the shank.
That's why if you don't tighten up the chuck properly and it rotates in the chuck it scores the shank,compared to HSS it's actually comparatively a lot softer, so it can take some abuse.

Last edited:

HillBill

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 1, 2008
W. Yorkshire
How on earth you manage that?

Good idea. Nice wee knife... Here's some of my grinder work from Yesterday. :confused:
Snapshot_20141231_zps776f161b.jpg

Zingmo

Eardstapa
Jan 4, 2010
S. Staffs
Standard engineers 'jobber' drills are made of 2 steels and welded together on manufacture. HSS only makes up the drilling part and a softer steel makes up the shank.

If it's just low carbon "soft" steel, why bother making a knife out of it?

Z

Stevie777

Native
Jun 28, 2014
Strathclyde, Scotland
How on earth you manage that?
Was making a Hobo stove and i needed to grind off some rough pieces of steel. Plugged in the grinder, switched on the wall socket. The switch on the grinder was on the on position and the kick off the grinder kinda spun it from my hand. I think?...Anyway, it bounced off the ground and back into my shin then tangled around the bottom of my jeans. Could have been worse as i was only wearing slippers at the time. December was a bad Month for me. two accidents and both could and should have been avoided. lets hope that's the last for a few years.

It's a old type grinder, not one with a push trigger to start it, just a simple on off switch at the rear. been a good few years since i used it so really wasn't expecting the "Kick"...I basically crapped it when it switched on and proceeded to drop it like a hot spud. :lol:

Stew

Bushcrafter through and through
Nov 29, 2003
Aylesbury
stewartjlight-knives.com
Was making a Hobo stove and i needed to grind off some rough pieces of steel. Plugged in the grinder, switched on the wall socket. The switch on the grinder was on the on position and the kick off the grinder kinda spun it from my hand. I think?...Anyway, it bounced off the ground and back into my shin then tangled around the bottom of my jeans. Could have been worse as i was only wearing slippers at the time. December was a bad Month for me. two accidents and both could and should have been avoided. lets hope that's the last for a few years.

It's a old type grinder, not one with a push trigger to start it, just a simple on off switch at the rear. been a good few years since i used it so really wasn't expecting the "Kick"...I basically crapped it when it switched on and proceeded to drop it like a hot spud. :lol:

That's exactly why I always assume the angle grinder is 'on' when I plug it in. I prepare for the kick. :D

Really nice post indeed but i would add few things.
Even for a guy who has a nice workshop with all kind of powertools, making a knife out of a drill bit is not a good option.
First of all it is quite difficult to grind and shape a fully hardened drill bit.
Second, you don't know exactly what type of steel you are working with and this will prevent you from tempering it properly (without tempering it will chip or even break).
And third it is much cheaper and safer to use a piece of scrap spring steel which you can anneal easely grind it fast and then harden/temper without too much troubble which is not the case with HSS/HCS.

Just my two cents :D

All the best!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE