Power monkey explorer classic

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Jonbodthethird

Settler
Sep 5, 2013
Kettering/Stilton
Anyone with any long use knowledge in these?! Do they actually work that well?! I've just bought one and the battery pack doesn't work and had to send it back. Not that impressed so far lol. I'm wondering whether to have a refund or not.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rabid

Nomad
Dec 15, 2014
Sleaford Lincolnshire
I,ve had one for about 4 years and used it all over the world with no issues whatsoever.
There are probably better on the market now but mine still works fine so will keep using it.

Jonbodthethird

Settler
Sep 5, 2013
Kettering/Stilton
Yea it was faulty and the people selling it on eBay won't except it back. I'm now the solar panel is good so what I intend to do is buy the v2 battery? It's lithium ion but it doesn't say if you can use the solar panel to charge it? Does any one know if you can use it still? It only mentions mains power.

Jonbodthethird

Settler
Sep 5, 2013
Kettering/Stilton
I've just started taking it to pieces and found a suitable replacement. Taking some time to cut through it with a scalpel without breaking the case. I'm replacing it with a li-ion battery at 5.5 volt and 2200mah. So should last a good while and will charge at 200mah. I'm going to use tiger seal as the glue to put it back together. Very good waterproofing qualities and isn't brittle (silicon based) so won't break the seal with out meaning to do it.

Jonbodthethird

Settler
Sep 5, 2013
Kettering/Stilton
Probably three charges from my iPhone. But will trickle charge too. And lithium batteries don't mind being fully discharged unlike nickel hydrate batteries.

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Yea it was faulty and the people selling it on eBay won't except it back. I'm now the solar panel is good so what I intend to do is buy the v2 battery? It's lithium ion but it doesn't say if you can use the solar panel to charge it? Does any one know if you can use it still? It only mentions mains power.

Raise a dispute with ebay, they always back up the buyer. The seller will get nudged by them to sort it out amicably, if that fails they just refund you the money anyway and the seller loses out. If you bought them as working and they arrived faulty then it's their problem not yours.

dwardo

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
I bought one from ebay a while ago. It was "new in packaging" but turns out it was about 5 years old and was one of a batch sold off to Wilkinson's and the like, then placed on ebay cheap.
The battery would not take a charge due to age. I got my cash back in the end.
On the other hand buying a proper one from a reputablle company like our kid did and they are great bits of kit. Just do your homework in relation to the capacity of the device you want to charge and the battery capacity.

Jonbodthethird

Settler
Sep 5, 2013
Kettering/Stilton
I bought one from ebay a while ago. It was "new in packaging" but turns out it was about 5 years old and was one of a batch sold off to Wilkinson's and the like, then placed on ebay cheap.
The battery would not take a charge due to age. I got my cash back in the end.
On the other hand buying a proper one from a reputablle company like our kid did and they are great bits of kit. Just do your homework in relation to the capacity of the device you want to charge and the battery capacity.

That's sounds familiar lol. Where did you get the replacement from?

dwardo

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
The whole solar thing isnt of much use here to be honest. Especially not under a lovely woodland canopy. Not unless you go for the large mega expensive jobbies.
Would be better off with a decent power pack. Loads on Amazon and the likes. Just check out your device specs and then find out what you need.
Nice idea in principal. But these days I just take a power pack and use the samung ultra power save on my phone when out. I call it nokia mode :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE