The british pub

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

oetzi

Settler
Apr 25, 2005
below Frankenstein castle
Last edited:

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
Phew, where to start?

This is a country wide thing that's sucking the character out of our traditional pubs. Increasingly I find our country pubs are geared to serving food rather than beer. The breweries are charging them so much for their leases and beer, there's no profit to be had from just selling beer.

Pubs like Wetherspoons are moving into our towns, and are doing what the supermarkets have done to our town centres. No butcher, no green grocer etc. Wetherspoons bulk buy beer and sell it cheap, same as their food, people are going to drink there. And don't forget we live in a country where young people just want to get ******, not share tales around a bar anymore.

We're currently losing about 28 pubs every week. I guess the thinking behind the refurb at the Dog and Gun in Keswick was that to stand any chance of competing with Wetherspoons they had to make the place seem more attractive and modern. They've shot themselves in the foot because all they've done is imitate yet won't be able to compete on price.

I could go on all night about the demise of our public houses, I find it a great shame that the UK is losing such a huge part of its national identity.

Last edited:

stuey

Sep 13, 2011
High Peak
www.arb-tek.co.uk
And schemes like Cancer Research's dryathlon are helping to put pubs and small brewers like us under even quicker! We have tried to kick out with Tryanuary.co.uk this year which gives folks the choice of supporting charity and the brewing and pub industry in the uk. :)

Kerne

Maker
Dec 16, 2007
Gloucestershire
Law has changed recently and it might be that the "tied" pub is a thing of the past. Could be a good thing - who knows? I avoid the Wetherspoons pubs myself and prefer a "real" pub. Thankfully, where I am there seems to be a lot about still

Jared

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 8, 2005
Wales
Seen a few pubs undergo renovations attempt to become "trendy" usually when new younger managers takes over. Never seems to be able to attract new people, and the regular crowd seems to drift away.

It'll be interesting to see what happens now that pubs can buy beer on the open market now the beer tie has effectively been ended.

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Seen a few pubs undergo renovations attempt to become "trendy" usually when new younger managers takes over. Never seems to be able to attract new people, and the regular crowd seems to drift away........

If the trend is so widespread, where do they drift too? Like the OP, I too haven't been there in about 30 years, and the old pubs from that era are among my treasured memories. I hate to think they're disappearing.

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
If the trend is so widespread, where do they drift too? Like the OP, I too haven't been there in about 30 years, and the old pubs from that era are among my treasured memories. I hate to think they're disappearing.

A lot of people drink at home now. Prices in pubs are crazy. When I first moved to Singleton in West Sussex (rural, but pubs in easy walking distance), I went down to the local after doing my unpacking. Asked for a pint of Stella. "£5 please" said the barman. I said I only ordered the one :lmao:

See what I mean? You can't settle in for a few hours at those prices, plus all the tables are laid for the food bookings later so you don't feel comfortable using one for a few beers.

Jared

Sep 8, 2005
Wales

Well the area my dad drank was pretty densely populated with pubs. Even before a Wetherspoons and an another pub relatively recently (several years) opened it's doors.

Think it's 8-9 pubs in ~1400 ft on a single road. And that's not including a few more on the side roads. So the crowd just dissipates.

There used to be a guy (guessing 50s) that walked around all the brains pubs back in the day and have a half in each one. A proper character. Remember one day he asked the barmaid to go on a round the world trip with him. Everyone thought he was joking and didn't take him seriously. Next thing they know the pub is getting postcards from all over.

Limaed

Apr 11, 2006
Perth
I think in rural Scotland things have got better not worse. When I moved here 20 years ago most of the places only served Guinness, cider & 70 Shilling and a lot of places were quite rough, now you can often get a decent real ale from a local brewery with a more friendly atmosphere.

I don't mind paying a bit more for a decent pint as I'm not a big drinker anyway and the smoking ban was (as a non smoker) a huge step forward. I think the change in our pubs reflects changing culture as much as large corporations dictating to consumers.

Jared

Sep 8, 2005
Wales
B6DLdgUCUAAFR6q.jpg:large

Seems to be a campaign running on social media #tryanuary to keep people drinking. :D

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
I could go on all night about the demise of our public houses, I find it a great shame that the UK is losing such a huge part of its national identity.

Here here. There is a petty, meddlesome underclass around that like chip away at British traditions. The idea of a refuge where a guy could enjoy a pint and a game of crib with his cronies is anathema to their mean spirited minds so they try to wreck the pub into some plastic menued Harvester where they can eat formula food and mass produced expensive juice with their Ill behaved brats.

lavrentyuk

Nomad
Oct 19, 2006
Mid Wales
My village in Wales has lost.two of its three pubs in 12 years, including one of the best (the Ram Inn ).

No pubs selling more than one ale in the nearest town.

Result ?

I rarely go to the pub any more. There are some good ones about 8 miles away but driving/riding is out and public transport none existent at useful hours.

I miss them.

Good ale, convivial company, maybe some music.

I feel we have chucked some great history and tradition out of the window here and gained very little in return.

sasquatch

Jun 15, 2008
Northampton
I'm fortunate enough to live in an area with a surplus of Working Men's Clubs, I'm a member in a couple and also the Navy and Royal Marines club. I can still get 2 decent pints and change from a fiver as well as have a bit of banter with some real characters. Darts, pool, snooker and skittles can still be played and people playing cards and Crib as well as chess is a common sight.

Some are better than others, they tend to have an older crowd but there are many my age present as well as their kids. New Year's Eve consisted of my wife and lad and I going to our local WMC for a couple drinks, a few games of cards, pull tickets and cheese and onion cobs. Bingo and a live band upstairs was given a miss as we're not into that. We were home by half ten but I couldn't want for anything else. Some of the best bar banter I've had has been in that place, anyone that thinks the older generations haven't lived and have funny tales to tell are missing a trick! Might sound like I need my slippers and pipe but you really can't beat a local pub where people know you, shake your hand and have the craic over a pint and short of Woods Navy rum...

Paul_B

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
Well I'm sorry but never liked Keswick pubs. That pub is highly regarded by many of my friends whose judgement I trust but I've had good and bad service/food/beer at the dog and gun over many years of staying in and passing through Keswick. This refurbished pub might be different in character, part of a chain and serve different foods or beers but before I condemn it I'll try it out. I'm not afraid of the new.

My pet hate that IMHO is a bigger danger to Cumbrian pubs is the bistro-fication to appeal to southern city type visitors. Seriously I've seen many local.Cumbrian pubs change from a locals pub that welcomes all and serves good beers and foods at local prices. Local prices are what I call the old pricing you used to see in lakes pubs, namely reasonable prices. Then they become bistro pubs charging £5 a pint instead of sub-£3. They went from simple pub food to serving poncey versions with menu write-ups that pour on the flowery language for what is fish, chips and mushy peas. Then the peas are served in little dishes, the chips and the fish in some steel mesh baskets, often separate ones, that are annoying to cut the food in. Heck some even serve the fish and chips in faked newspaper. ***!

IMHO Keswick isn't a good pub town anyway. Move out of town to rural Cumbrian pubs and you'll still find good pubs. I think everyone who's been to Langdales will have dropped into the old dungeon ghyll pub. Or perhaps Wainwights on the way into Langdales. Or Coniston has good pubs. White Lion in Patterdale. Numerous others. The loss of a few in Keswick is one thing but if we lose the others out of town I'd be joining you in complaining.

P.S. I call the Lakes "my patch" even though I actually live just south of the Cumbrian border, just because whenever I can I'm on the road north into the Lakes. I know it better than the area I live in. As a result I don't think my patch in the lakes is as bad as other areas. A lot of pubs still around with.real and authentic character to satisfy the most bearded and traditionalist of pub goers. If Keswick Keswick doesn't suit you now then move out to another area.

BTW I even remember a time when the drunken duck pub was just that, a local Cumbria pub not the fancy pants place it became. Even the masons arms at strawberry bank changed character 20/30 years ago. It's now considered a classic Lakeland pub serving good beers and good food. Just not what it was originally like I think.

Last edited:

mountainm

Jan 12, 2011
Selby
www.mikemountain.co.uk
If there's no demand it won't succeed. Blame Central heating, cheap supermarket booze and TV. We have two good village pubs. But the beer isn't cheap. However I support them best I can, but I also recognise that to stay afloat they have to change with the times. Bemoan the decline of the traditional English pub all you like but if you aren't buying the beer you're part of the problem.

Paul_B

Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
Bemoan the decline of the traditional English pub all you like but if you aren't buying the beer you're part of the problem.

So true. Now I rarely go to pubs. A mixture of reasons meaning I only go infrequently to pubs and when I do it usually involves driving there and having a meal. Probably means I'm the sort of punter these changes in the pubs cater for. The type who are there to eat with maybe 1 pint because they're driving. TBH I'm unlikely to visit my real locals as they're real dives with the nearest decent pub being over 2 or 3 miles away. Not exactly walking distance. The closer pubs cater for the get pi$$ed clientele, especially those who are knocking at the door when they open!

boatman

Feb 20, 2007
Cornwall
Ah how I miss the stink of stale beer and cigarettes, the hostile looks when you walk in and the special chairs that "Fred" sits in every night except he doesn't.
Have had some good nights in some pubs especially since they and I gave up smoking. No conspiracy is getting rid of them but economics and changes of taste, how awful that people like to have a meal on a night out rather than several pints and drive home.

Fraxinus

Settler
Oct 26, 2008
Canterbury
It is truly sad that greed is killing off the local hostelries and sadder still that the hooligan element are making those that exist less attractive to venture into. I will not go into a pub that has bouncers on the door..they are expecting trouble because they cater to those idiots that can't drink without kicking off. Then there is this nonsense of making local regulars pay to get in on xmas eve or new years eve!
The sooner those pubs close down and we get back to proper British pubs you could even take your Granny to for a port and lemon the better.
Just my view btw having done a bit of bar work and had to step up to defuse the odd situation, that bouncers even if we had them, could not have prevented. My local saw me three times last year all at the request of my sister and her hubby, why? because they are too pricey and the staff ignore the non food side of the bar... you don't feel either welcome or wanted the way we were a few years ago, certainly not enough to go there for a meal.

Rob

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE