Starting out in Dehydration

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

PDA1

Settler
Feb 3, 2011
Framingham, MA USA
Dehydrating raw materials is OK, but you still end up cooking on the trail. You might want to explore dehydrating complete meals which can be reconstituted with minimal effort on the trail. Two outstanding resources for this IMO are:
www.trailcooking.com
and
www.hungryhammockhanger.com
he also has some excellent videos under Mrbabelfish5 on YouTube.

The great thing about those sites is that they prep food for hiking,not just "prepping".

Countryman

Native
Jun 26, 2013
North Dorset
My first lot of jerky was ready this morning having been on at 65 degrees for 11 hours.

I'm pleased with the results. Very good flavours and distinctly different flavours imparted by my concocted marinades.

Lessons learned. Too much salt makes the meat whiten. This is still edible but isn't appetising looking. Would be useful for a trail stew up.

Many of the recipes I found on line suggested using oil but this coats the meat even after dehydration and this detracts from the texture. It can be blotted off but again this is a PITA. Might be better to avoid using oil in the first place.

Laphroigh Malt doesn't take a lot in the marinade to impart a delicate smokey flavour.

Well that's it for now. I have just mixed all my left over marinades and sliced just under a pound of Roe into them. Nothing ventured!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feb 17, 2012
Surbiton, Surrey
My first lot of jerky was ready this morning having been on at 65 degrees for 11 hours.

I'm pleased with the results. Very good flavours and distinctly different flavours imparted by my concocted marinades.

Lessons learned. Too much salt makes the meat whiten. This is still edible but isn't appetising looking. Would be useful for a trail stew up.

Many of the recipes I found on line suggested using oil but this coats the meat even after dehydration and this detracts from the texture. It can be blotted off but again this is a PITA. Might be better to avoid using oil in the first place.

Laphroigh Malt doesn't take a lot in the marinade to impart a delicate smokey flavour.

Well that's it for now. I have just mixed all my left over marinades and sliced just under a pound of Roe into them. Nothing ventured!

I like the idea of using Laphroig for the taste but cant bring myself to use a good malt without drinking it.

You can get liquid smoke online which I use in a lot of my jerky which is a really nice flavour.

cranmere

Settler
Mar 7, 2014
Somerset, England
When backpacking I used to dry a lot of food. Cooked beans dry well and rehydrating them takes a fraction of the time that cooking does, so they are a useful protein source to carry. I do soup vegetables too, cut the veggies into thin pieces or small dice, cook for a few minutes until they are just starting to soften but not disintegrating. Again, these are great to carry and easy to use.

Jonbodthethird

Settler
Sep 5, 2013
Kettering/Stilton
Chicken curry is a good one. Just limit the fat as it won't dry don't add any milk products (fats again) and I tend to get my local butcher to mince all my meat so it dehydrates and rehydrates far better. I found coconut milk to be relatively limited from fats. And drain the meat before adding spices. The key mostly is watching the meat. And beans! Always good. If you like porridge that's a good breakfast. Add milk powder and any dried fruits.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE