Thinking of going Norway in the summer.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Jonbodthethird

Settler
Sep 5, 2013
Kettering/Stilton
Merry Christmas everyone. I'm thinking of preparing for a trip in the summer to Norway for four days.

I've actually never been away from this country while camping. My kit is more or less prepared over here. I just wanted to go with a few people who are more experienced then me. Is there a way of making this happen?!

Cheers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

lannyman8

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 18, 2009
Dark side of the Moon
Go for it mate, i never have the time or money but would love to go away over seas camping...

im sure there are a few members here who live in Norway who would be very willing to answer any questions and help you out where they can...also have a search for other threads from Norway, it will give you some ideas for areas to go ect....

some one will be along soon to help out more im sure....

best of luck.

Chris.

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
Merry Christmas everyone. I'm thinking of preparing for a trip in the summer to Norway for four days.

I've actually never been away from this country while camping. My kit is more or less prepared over here. I just wanted to go with a few people who are more experienced then me. Is there a way of making this happen?!

Well you've started the ball rolling by asking about it so it's just a case of seeing if anyone's free when you were hoping to go.

Having said that check out Twodogs and Doc's solo adventures for some inspiration and ideas :)

Twodogs adventures
http://www.bushcraftuk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=72100

http://www.bushcraftuk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=46500&highlight=

Doc's adventure
http://www.bushcraftuk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=57177

Good luck with it

shovel reccy

Forager
Feb 22, 2007
cambridge
I have been thinking of doing the same thing.there is nothing to stop you, if you have any troubles finding some one to go give me a shout,it's some thing I will have a good think about .

Wayland

Hárbarðr
Fantastic country, great people with a good outdoor ethos.

People will tell you it is expensive but if you shop wisely for your food it needn't be.

Mozzies can be an issue in places, try to camp in locations that have a little breeze to avoid going mad with them.

Other than that, have a great time, both planning and going.

verney

Aug 6, 2014
Finland
Where in Norway are you planning to go? Northern Norway is beautiful area and well suited for camping if you choose your route carefully. Never been in Norway below the article circle.

Four days sounds bit short. Traveling is expensive and time consuming, why not stay for bit longer.

adestu

Native
Jan 19, 2010
swindon
i'm 50 next year and been thinking the same thing.i went diving in the fjords over ten years ago and even though i saw mainly veiws from a boat its stunning and what people i met where so friendly

Jonbodthethird

Settler
Sep 5, 2013
Kettering/Stilton
Where in Norway are you planning to go? Northern Norway is beautiful area and well suited for camping if you choose your route carefully. Never been in Norway below the article circle.

Four days sounds bit short. Traveling is expensive and time consuming, why not stay for bit longer.

Hey. To be tottaly honest I have no idea what I'm dojng at all! I can camp for days here but in different country is a little bit unnerving. I was thinking of taking dehydrated food with me to save on weight. I'm not sure on how long or where to go. Any suggestions? Cheers.

Teepee

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 15, 2010
Northamptonshire
4 days isn't long to get out and do much, I'd suggest going somewhere not far from a major airport. The bonus of Norway is that there a quite a few airport to fly into and none of the direct flights cost too much on economy.

I'm fortunate to have seen lots of Norway, Sweden and Finland over the years, you'll actually find it hard not to find somewhere really nice.

As a noob to Norway and with short time there, I'd suggest flying into Oslo, then catching the tube from Oslo centre to the large forests of Nordmarka. From there, many marked trails, some of them floodlit, will carry you quickly into the backcountry. You'll find most Norwegians have a great grasp of English and be made to feel welcome.

You could head to Bergen, Stavanger, Trondheim, Tromso also on a direct flight. Any transfers will make your 4 day trip not worth going as the time taken in airports is too much. Be aware of the fire bans through summer too.

Jonbodthethird

Settler
Sep 5, 2013
Kettering/Stilton
4 days isn't long to get out and do much, I'd suggest going somewhere not far from a major airport. The bonus of Norway is that there a quite a few airport to fly into and none of the direct flights cost too much on economy.

I'm fortunate to have seen lots of Norway, Sweden and Finland over the years, you'll actually find it hard not to find somewhere really nice.

As a noob to Norway and with short time there, I'd suggest flying into Oslo, then catching the tube from Oslo centre to the large forests of Nordmarka. From there, many marked trails, some of them floodlit, will carry you quickly into the backcountry. You'll find most Norwegians have a great grasp of English and be made to feel welcome.

You could head to Bergen, Stavanger, Trondheim, Tromso also on a direct flight. Any transfers will make your 4 day trip not worth going as the time taken in airports is too much. Be aware of the fire bans through summer too.

Yea flights were cheap when I went to Stockholm a few years ago. £40 return with Ryan air I think?! I think I may have to go with someone more experienced. I'm willing to wait. I am willing to go for a longer period of time. So it's not a problem. Just a ball park figure.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE