Starting out in Dehydration

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Countryman

Native
Jun 26, 2013
North Dorset
I received a Charles Jacobs food dehydrator for Christmas. I know a lot of people on here dry food.

What would you start with?

Any favourite recipes to share?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Fruit leathers - my favourite is banana and strawberry...
Blend 2 'nannas and a tin of strawberries (or similar amount of fresh in season fresh) and spread them about 3mm thick on the non stick sheets.
When dry and leathery dust with icing sugar, roll up and slice into 1/2" pieces.
Jerky - invent a marinade to your taste (soy sauce, Worcester Sauce, garlic paste, ginger powder, black pepper, tomato paste is one of my favourites), slice skirt beef into thin pieces/slices marinade overnight then dry until like leather. Resist eating it all in one go.
Veggies - almost any work - slice thinly and dry until bone dry. Celery is great dried and then powdered and then used either as a condiment or added to soups etc. Drying celery will amaze you as it consists of almost nothing but water and you get very little bulk but a lot of flavour when you dry it.
Fruit - Pineapple is on of my favourites - slice into 1/4" rounds dry until it is like a toffee. Delicious.
Strawberries - unbelievable flavour! Slice big ones into 2-3mm pieces.
Tomatos - slice cherry toms in half and dry cut side up.

That should start you off :)

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
There's half a dozen pictorials of mine on the site. Easy things I do a lot of are apple rings and strawberry slices. Both use up gluts. Strawberry slices are a taste sensation on cereal.

Rabid

Nomad
Dec 15, 2014
Sleaford Lincolnshire
Anything that they are selling off at the market or is on special offer at the supermarket.
Mushrooms mangoes apples bananas all very easy to do and a great way to start your dehydrating adventure.:)

Jonbodthethird

Settler
Sep 5, 2013
Kettering/Stilton
If I was you mate I'd do spag Bol. Its a good one to start with. The inputting you need to do is drain the fats and wash the mince when you've browned it other than it's the same way. I also cook the pasta and dry it so all you you need to do is rehydrate it. It's a good meal that works well. Just be careful not to dry it too much or they turn into bullets and hydrate a lot slower. I find with mine 9 hours is perfect. You might need more or slightly less depending.ive also done a few other things like stews but you need to keep the vegetables thing and the meat in to small pieces. Check out the hunger hammock hanger.

Countryman

Native
Jun 26, 2013
North Dorset
My first lot of apple and banana chips is on. Is it really necessary to dip it all in lemon juice. Make the process a PITA.

Just defrosting a lump of Roe rump to try for jerky.

Suspect a trip to the shop coming on for a marinade.

decorum

May 2, 2007
Warwickshire
... Is it really necessary to dip it all in lemon juice. Make the process a PITA.

Try a batch without ;)

You know how apple flesh browns when exposed to air? The citric acid prevents that process :D . Gives it a nice tang too ~ but you can get unflavoured powders if you don't want the additional taste.

Try pear as well. Dehydrating gives it an 'odd' texture :approve:

Monikieman

Jun 17, 2013
Monikie, Angus
Persimon fruit are great and kiwi. Both sliced thinly and they are like crisps when done.

Oranges. Tried some sliced oranges for Christmas decorations and ended up eating them. The skin is not as bitter as when fresh but.......

Stud the orange skin with cloves and you've got Christmas decorations!

Countryman

Native
Jun 26, 2013
North Dorset
Well the bananas and apple are drying nicely with no discolouration. Meantime I hit our local butcher and scored a good couple of pounds of some obscure cut of beef from the hind quarters. Very lean and seemingly ideal. Have now realised that's a lot of beef and a lot of work!

Marinades made on the fly from things in the fridge and cupboard as I went along. Based loosely then on beer, Laphroigh, barbecue sauce, Ancona hot sauce, soy sauce with ginger and garlic and a bottle of reggae reggae sauce. Made about half a dozen different batches. Was given a pot of sea salt garlic and chilli by Santa that has been used liberally.

Have now taken over a good portion of the fridge to let my concoctions infuse.

Roll on this evening!

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
Well the bananas and apple are drying nicely with no discolouration. Meantime I hit our local butcher and scored a good couple of pounds of some obscure cut of beef from the hind quarters. Very lean and seemingly ideal. Have now realised that's a lot of beef and a lot of work!

Marinades made on the fly from things in the fridge and cupboard as I went along. Based loosely then on beer, Laphroigh, barbecue sauce, Ancona hot sauce, soy sauce with ginger and garlic and a bottle of reggae reggae sauce. Made about half a dozen different batches. Was given a pot of sea salt garlic and chilli by Santa that has been used liberally.

Have now taken over a good portion of the fridge to let my concoctions infuse.

Roll on this evening!

Port or Sherry make a good base for a sauce.

I (as I'm not a veg grower) dry frozen veg with great success, they come peeled, sliced and are often 'fresher' than some bag of veg thats sat on a shelf for a few days.

Peas, Sweet Corn, sliced green beans, carrots dry really well. When you dry fresh mushrooms and come to use them, the water you've hydrated them in seems to have a really intense mushroom flavour and works as a great soup base :)

Have fun.

Countryman

Native
Jun 26, 2013
North Dorset
Yes I can see how that musty mushroom smell could be an issue. Especially as the wife won't eat mushrooms!

decorum

May 2, 2007
Warwickshire
Oh ... and any bread which is past it's best but isn't put to toast can be dehydrated too. Turn it to crumb for stuffing mixes :approve:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE