Power monkey extreme?!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Jonbodthethird

Settler
Sep 5, 2013
Kettering/Stilton
I'm looking into buying a solar charger I've seen the the previous power monkey at £21 but this new extreme at £93 what's the actual difference. Is Is noticeable at nearly 5 times the difference?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

quietone

May 29, 2011
Wales
The new one is 12 volt now, old one is 5 volt. I've been using an original from release, can't fault it, or manufacturers service, after sales help. They gave me a light monkey to try before they released those too, which is a handy bit of kit too.

Quixoticgeek

Aug 4, 2013
Europe
I've been using the original since 2012. Wonderful bit of kit, can't fault it. I intend to upgrade to the 12v version at some point when I have the funds.

Julia

baggins

Apr 20, 2005
Coventry (and surveying trees uk wide)
we have the newer 12v PM extreme, had it for just over a year now and have to say it really is the dogs danglies! keeps an iPhone, 2 blackberries and a tablet going for 3 days (nice sunny ones mind!). would be seriously lost without it when we go camping now.

Quixoticgeek

Aug 4, 2013
Europe
One of the few improvements I would love to see made to the power monkey extreme, is the ability to use two solar panels, for when it's not quite as bright.

J

cbr6fs

Native
Mar 30, 2011
Athens, Greece
If you don't mind a more modular solution here's the system i'm currently using

IMG_3669_zps2124588e.jpg

I tend to be heavy on my phones battery as i use it to log my hikes, still this gives me around 3 to 4 days recharging.
As i usually restock every 3 to 4 days i'll just use a power socket to recharge both (about 3 to 4 hours) then i'm set for another 3 to 4 days.

If i'm not likely to hit a town then i'll just add more batteries to my kit and leave off the charger.

Jonbodthethird

Settler
Sep 5, 2013
Kettering/Stilton
One of the few improvements I would love to see made to the power monkey extreme, is the ability to use two solar panels, for when it's not quite as bright.

J

Well I've had it on charge for over the amount stated and no joy it will not charge at all. I've contacted the seller and she's stayed it needs charging for 24/48 hours before it will work. Is this correct has anyone had this?

cbr6fs

Native
Mar 30, 2011
Athens, Greece
Well I've had it on charge for over the amount stated and no joy it will not charge at all. I've contacted the seller and she's stayed it needs charging for 24/48 hours before it will work. Is this correct has anyone had this?

From the mains or from the solar panels?

cbr6fs

Native
Mar 30, 2011
Athens, Greece
Really wouldn't advise putting 9v through a 5v system, especially as it's brand new.

If it's not working send it back.

Does the unit light up when plugged in?

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE