What if ?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

dennydrewcook

Forager
Nov 26, 2014
maidstone
I was thinking earlier if all the trees died except one species (rip trees😄) what species would you want to survive, what would be the most useful tree bushcraft wise. Mine would be the silver birch because it can be used as tinder, bow drill, good carving wood and is host to edible and useful fungi. What would you guys choose

Denny

Harvestman

Bushcrafter through and through
May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
That's a tricky one. I suspect I might go for oak, because of the usefulness of the timber. The question is an interesting one because as soon as you think about it you see the virtues of different species, and the value in having a diversity of species. Neat thought.

Outdoordude

Native
Mar 6, 2012
Kent
From a world point of view I would go with pine as almost everything wood is made of pine.

Birch is a wonderful wood so would probably go with that same as you. However ash is also extremely useful.

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Pecan. It has an edible nut, good firewood, good wood for smoking meat, good hardwood for building and for tool handles (essentially it's a subspecies of hickory) good shade, good habitat for small game.

Tiley

Life Member
Oct 19, 2006
Gloucestershire
I'd be inclined to say Oak (Quercus robur) simply because of the huge number of other species it supports. But I suppose birch would probably get the nod from a bushcrafty point of view... Or maybe pine - but that's pretty hopeless for fire by friction... Possibly Western Red Cedar... But what about Ash?

Blimey - I really can't decide!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE