Whats your favourite piece of winter clothing?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Paul_B

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
I got a pair of extremities super inferno mitts fir £29.95 a few years back. They were new out and had a decent amount of synthetic fill. The year later it went up in price by a tenner and the no brand fill switched to primaloft. Nothing I've had before kept my hands dry when wet and warm when cold. I got it in New year's eve on that first really cold winter we had about 4 or 6 years ago.

About the time I got it I developed reynauds or at least got it diagnosed. Those cold days walking in the hills really killed with pain at times until those mitts. They're even good in milder weather too but when it drops below zero it really earns its place in my sack or more likely They're on my hands.they've also got wrist loops so you just take them off, let them dangle and do what you need the dexterity for. Then put them back on and you'll be warm again in minutes.

Tristar777

Nomad
Mar 19, 2011
North Somerset UK
I got a pair of extremities super inferno mitts fir £29.95 a few years back. They were new out and had a decent amount of synthetic fill. The year later it went up in price by a tenner and the no brand fill switched to primaloft. Nothing I've had before kept my hands dry when wet and warm when cold. I got it in New year's eve on that first really cold winter we had about 4 or 6 years ago.

About the time I got it I developed reynauds or at least got it diagnosed. Those cold days walking in the hills really killed with pain at times until those mitts. They're even good in milder weather too but when it drops below zero it really earns its place in my sack or more likely They're on my hands.they've also got wrist loops so you just take them off, let them dangle and do what you need the dexterity for. Then put them back on and you'll be warm again in minutes.

Hi.
I have arthritis in my hands and I know if Im not wearing good gloves when it starts to get cold and wet!
I think its as important to keep your hands warm and dry as it is your feet, but the hands don't get the same attention! Thanks for sharing.

sausage100uk

Settler
May 4, 2013
United Kingdom
italian army wool mix long sleeve baselayers (dont get stinky for days) are good, although a bit scratchy. Last xmas i got some merino fingerless inner gloves, they're great for when you need a bit of finger dexterity in the cold. Fur lined wool great coat is also good in the dry cold.

oetzi

Settler
Apr 25, 2005
below Frankenstein castle
Hi.
I have arthritis in my hands and I know if Im not wearing good gloves when it starts to get cold and wet!
I think its as important to keep your hands warm and dry as it is your feet, but the hands don't get the same attention! Thanks for sharing.

My hands are that way, too. These days. I wear baselayers with long arms and thumb holes. The warmer wrists make my fingers much warmer.

johnnytheboy

Native
Aug 21, 2007
Falkirk
jokesblogspot.blogspot.com
Feet, Aigle Siberia
Socks, Cabelas delux cold weather sock
Trousers, still to find!
Jacket, Onyx Arctic Shield parka
MidLayer, Northface primaloft jacket
Gloves, Auclair hard rock miner glove, show 451 thermo
Hat, Low Apline mountain cap

frustrating I have developed a wool allergy, nightmare

Last edited:

garethw

Settler
Since last night out fishing it has to be my new Snugpak Sleeka Elite. Ok temps were only 4°C but I sat out feeling warm...
It is light and comfy and as has been said before, just like wearing a sleeping bag. I'm sure it would feel just as warm a good few degrees colder too.

Very pleased with this purchase.

cheers
Gareth

Imagedude

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 24, 2011
Gwynedd
Been pondering this question for a long long time and I've finally come to the conclusion that I don't really have a favourite item. This is probably due to the fact that all my kit is very good as I can't afford for any of it to let me down. Items that have proved to be up to the job include my Paramo Aspira smock and salopettes, Sub Zero thermals, Buffalo or Montane Extreme pile mits, mountain caps by various manufactures, Bridgedale socks, various light/mid weight fleece hoodies - I especially like the Haglofs Triton II fleece (but I was lucky enough to get one at half price) and finally I have used various Buffs to prevent the end of my nose from frostbite.

BlueTrain

Nomad
Jul 13, 2005
Near Washington, D.C.
The one thing that contributes more to my cold-weather comfort is my army issue long johns. I was issued with them in 1965. For snowy weather, which we have now and then, my best boots are an old pair of British army issue high-leg boots worn with issue arctic socks. I tend to save them for just such uses.

Leshy

Jun 14, 2016
Wiltshire
My Jallatte jalsiberian boots.
Really comfortable, totally waterproof and as warm as a warm can be , even with thin socks.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE