Duddon Valley Camping

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Phaestos

Sep 8, 2012
Manchester
My friend asked me recently to take her out on her first 'bushy' camp. She has been planning on joining an Outdoor school as an apprentice and wanted to see whether she would like learning some woodsman skills. More than anything, she wanted to know what it was like sleeping under a tarp as opposed to a tent. Having visited there myself on previous occasions, I decided that the Duddon Valley in the Lake District was the best bet, owing to how secluded it was.

My friend wasn't so comfortable on motorways, so our route took us down the A-roads to the Lakes. I must say that the route over Yorkshire was one of the most beautiful drives I've ever experienced, especially in the early morning, and would recommend it to anyone who doesn't mind taking a slightly longer route.

As we entered the Lakes, it became obvious that the weather was going to set in, and be very changeable.

Our first option for a site was the forest atop Broughton Moor, just near the Duddon Valley, but a quick perusal of the peaty ground and the weather conditions led us quickly to reconsider. I didn't get any pictures of what I felt was a very forboding forest, but the sight from just outside across the moor and down towards Ulverston was quite spectacular.

We finally decided on a nice spots with hard, and relatively flat ground, close to a water source. I didn't manage to get pictures of what I taught her while we were there, but it covered knife work, tarp setups, useful knots, sighting a camp, fire starting, and general knowledge of what to look out for in terms of tinder, kindling, useful plants and various mushrooms we saw. The spruce trees a ways from our camp had mountains of resin built up over broken branches and few fallen trees nearby provided a healthy amount of birch bark and pine knots. I should have gotten more pictures of it, but I instead forgot and took a picture of resin on a spider's web instead. Can't suppress the hipster artist in me :p

Our watersource. This gets much heavier following the rain on Saturday night.

After spots of sunlight on Friday, Saturday was universally dismal, but gave a great excuse to show firelighting in the rain. I was quite pleased when I realised you could squeeze a large bath of pine resin together, light it with a match, the laugh maniacally as the rain tries pitifully to put out your fire. A healthy batch of birch twigs and pine knots turned it into a warming fire despite the wind and rain, and cooked us up a lovely vegetable stew, recipe provided by the good folk of the parish :)

Come Sunday morning, the rain had abated, and the morning sun cast some wonderful colour over our small section of forest.

A simple camp with simple concepts. She constructed the pot hanger, the fire lay, and mastrted pretty much every knot I taught her. I was incredibly impressed and proud.

Unfortunately, the rain that had lasted throughout all of Saturday had made the small river into a raging torrent. Comparison between these photos and the ones before should show what level of water was coming down the hill.

As always, we left no trace. We removed all our rubbish and ensured the terrain returned to a state unsullied by our boots.

Despite a cracking weekend, we we given one final surprise. The stepping stones used to cross the river on the way in, were now a good foot under fast-moving water. I tried cross halfway in barefeet whilst tied to the metal hand rope, but found that I was almost being swept away, and that it was far more risk than was worth it. After weighing up a number of options, we decided that a walk down the valley of several miles to the nearest footbridge was our only option, despite the car being a mere 300 feet from us at this point. As it was, it turned out to be lovely hike down the valley, followed by a depressing trudge back up the road to the car.

All in all it was a fantastic weekend. My friend learned lots, and is eager for more. I've recommended several good books and a very basic kit list of things I can't supply her with myself. Despite the drama at the end, we enjoyed every part of it and I'm impressed by how much she soaked up the knowledge. If she does join the outdoor school, she'll make a fine addition.

I include a caveat here that despite how we may feel, wild camping in illegal. Please seek the landowners permission when camping in their land.

Last edited:

Paulm

May 27, 2008
Hants
Sounds and looks like a great trip, thanks for posting up the brilliant pics too :)

Cheers, Paul

andybysea

Oct 15, 2008
South east Scotland.
Duddon valley's my old stomping ground twenty odd yrs ago, used to go up there most weekends straight after finishing work. Id like to go back one day.Thanks for posting this its brought some great memory's back.

Andy_K

Tenderfoot
Nov 29, 2014
Harwich
jackslrf.co.uk
Sounds like you both had a fantastic time and it would appear that sleeping under a tarp has certainly not put your friend off.

Now this might sound a stupid question, but when travelling to areas out of your own local ones, how are you supposed to get the landowners permission in advance of your trip?
Sure, it "could" be done once you arrive, but having sought permission to shoot over land, I have learnt that one thing landowners seem to find very disrespectful and presumptuous is when someone turns up at the door after / before / during what may be a really busy day for them, asking permission to use their lands for whatever reason. Hence me asking about how to find out who owns what area of land a permission may wish to use, as I have never had to do this and haven't a clue where to start looking. Sure, I could use the land registry, but not know ing the name of the particular piece of ground, that can get so as you're going round in circles very quickly.

Thanks.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Good weekend, great write up...love the snottery resin spider web :)
Really liked the total clear up too :D and well done on enthusing your very capable sounding friend.

Seasonality and changeability really does rule in the UK, doesn't it ?

cheers,
Toddy

R3XXY

Settler
Jul 24, 2009
Crewe
Great post, looks like you had a good time. Frightening how easily the weather can catch you out, regarding the stepping stones. Lucky that you knew about the bridge, or it could have led to a compromising situation.
Thanks for sharing :)

Phaestos

Sep 8, 2012
Manchester
Beautiful spot. What fungi and edibles did you find? Did you eat anything or stay with the do not eat wild fungi unless with a very experienced and knowledgeable person?

Cheers :) There weren't very many edible plants in the area that I had the skills to recognise, but there were quite a few fungi, including some hedgehog mushrooms, a few charcoal burners, a fools funnel and a massive assortment of brown and orange birch boletes. While I know them, I'm still nowhere near comfortable to confidently ID them for someone, and rather just enjoy the process of mycology until I can be comfortable enough with actually eating my findings (short of the fools funnel of course :p)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE