What did you buy today?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
Second hand Myford ML8 wood turning lathe on wooden bench, the real old school sort, to cosmetically restore. Pretty damned chuffed with it. I need to also take the motor off to carry the the bench up to the shed as it nearly crippled three of us carrying it from the car into the house with it attached.

So the drill driven B&D lathe will be up for grabs in the near future for anyone with storage issues.

photos when its done up.

atb

Tom

Here's a pic before we took the top hamper off to fit it in the car.

imagejpg1_zpsf67b1e68.jpg

Should clean up nice. It was too heavy to carry the base and motor up to the top floor together so we had the strip it down some more.

Last edited:

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
Cheers! I've since learned they made a lot of add on modules for this sort, circular saw, thicknesser, framistat deburrer, etc. really it just needs a clean and reassembling but as usual I want to pimp it up before I start using it. A bit of a project for over Xmas and the lads can help. The charity shops are normally full of beech or other nice wood rolling pins so ill pick some more up as pre prepared bits for the lads to have a go on.

atb

Tom

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Cheers! I've since learned they made a lot of add on modules for this sort, circular saw, thicknesser, framistat deburrer, etc. really it just needs a clean and reassembling but as usual I want to pimp it up before I start using it. A bit of a project for over Xmas and the lads can help. The charity shops are normally full of beech or other nice wood rolling pins so ill pick some more up as pre prepared bits for the lads to have a go on.

atb

Tom
Nice Tombear, knowing your bent for historical food you could have a go at making historical rolling pins too, a chap who has a very nice shop near me does a range of historical rolling pins and the one I bought is a Victorian hanging one. Some folk find it odd to look at but it's great to use and as it hangs up it doesn't take up valuable drawer space.
image_ebb775df-573c-435d-b963-7a82f2128653_1024x1024.jpg

BlueTrain

Nomad
Jul 13, 2005
Near Washington, D.C.
This is probably the only forum in existence where a man might mention a rolling pin and get away with it.

Well, anyway, I just received my two Italian mess tins from The Sportsman's Guide. Why they insist on selling sets of more than one of something you only need one of, I'll never know. So I have an extra one: one to use, the other "for display purposes." It's a little shorter than a German mess kit/Kochgeschirr/cook pot and there is no insert or tray. No, there was no logical reason to buy one and even less to buy two but it seems to be a handy size. I'm wondering if any army actually uses a metal mess kit anymore?

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
This is probably the only forum in existence where a man might mention a rolling pin and get away with it.

Well, anyway, I just received my two Italian mess tins from The Sportsman's Guide. Why they insist on selling sets of more than one of something you only need one of, I'll never know. So I have an extra one: one to use, the other "for display purposes." It's a little shorter than a German mess kit/Kochgeschirr/cook pot and there is no insert or tray. No, there was no logical reason to buy one and even less to buy two but it seems to be a handy size. I'm wondering if any army actually uses a metal mess kit anymore?

Hehe, maybe I should've added that they're also excellent for home defence!

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
Er, the sad thing is I probably will, I've sort of got quite a few books on the history of kitchen gear. If I wasn't so reluctant to actually buy wood I'd have made a lot of treen by now, I tend to measure and photograph stuff in museums ( talked my way into the reserve collection at St Fagans once) and do working drawings. I need to stop buying tools and get some decent chunks of oak and elm to blunt stuff on.

Really nice pin, would be a easy project to convert a "normal " pin and do a hanging plate.

atb

Tom

Jack Bounder

Nomad
Dec 7, 2014
Dorset
Swanndri Ranger Bush Shirt and a Honey Stove. Got both from Woodlore, who seem to be selling the bush shirt much cheaper than anyone else at the moment (£65).

Jack Bounder

Nomad
Dec 7, 2014
Dorset
Oh, and I bought Wildwood Wisdom from Amazon.

I also got 3 Silva Field compasses, 3 Scout firesteels, 3 SAS Survival Guides (Collins Gem) and 3 mini LED torches. I will use these to put together 3 survival kits; one for each of my three daughters.

Clouston98

Woodsman & Beekeeper
Aug 19, 2013
Cumbria
used the last of the money i had from working on these recent purchases/trades here (im now done for 2014) :

dave budd custom tomahawk:

imagejpg1_zpsb74db0a8.jpg

imagejpg2_zps1463e229.jpg

imagejpg2_zps39400b6c.jpg

imagejpg1_zps712fe40b.jpg

imagejpg2_zpsd8a24059.jpg

imagejpg1_zps05ea30a8.jpg

imagejpg1_zpscea2d244.jpg

antler needle case and amadou pouch in trade from FishFish:

imagejpg2_zpsb73d2c80.jpg

imagejpg1_zps724a24d0.jpg

imagejpg2_zpsd29282cf.jpg

imagejpg2_zps4e43511e.jpg

Ben Orford field knife:

imagejpg1_zpsfc37fb12.jpg

imagejpg2_zps6c21ee7a.jpg

imagejpg1_zps832d40c0.jpg

imagejpg2_zps27a0da04.jpg

Macwet Gloves for shooting:

imagejpg1_zpsc7b1ed8b.jpg

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE