Day of the Triffids

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Agreed - Wyndham reads well. still think "The Kraken wakes" was his best book. I don't think anyone ever made a film or tv show of it either.
The BBC did a radio drama of it in 1954, in 1998 Radio 4 did a 90 min drama which was available from 2007 from BBC Audio books Amazon sell it HERE & BBC radio 7 did an unabridged reading of it in 2004.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
The BBC did a radio drama of it in 1954, in 1998 Radio 4 did a 90 min drama which was available from 2007 from BBC Audio books Amazon sell it HERE & BBC radio 7 did an unabridged reading of it in 2004.

Yep - there is a very good unabridged version of an audiobook on Audible too. Be interested to see it filmed though - all the flooded streets and "Bathies" would be hard to do I guess.

Klenchblaize

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 25, 2005
Greensand Ridge
I would argue that a BBC Radio 4 dramatisation will give most books a run and are significantly preferable to film.

Check out the Beeb's offering of the classic "Time Machine" and tell me I'm wrong.

K

Biker

Triffids is my fav Wyndham book. Kraken was OK, but took some getting into whereas Triffids had me gripped from page one. Off to iplayer to see if I can watch it online. Haven't had much success viewing stuff from France on the iPlayer though. Fingers crossed.

Never even heard of The Last Train before now. I'll check that out too.

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
Triffids is my fav Wyndham book. Kraken was OK, but took some getting into whereas Triffids had me gripped from page one. Off to iplayer to see if I can watch it online. Haven't had much success viewing stuff from France on the iPlayer though. Fingers crossed.

Never even heard of The Last Train before now. I'll check that out too.

Its all on youtube.

When you look at the book, the 'seeing' would be in a much better situation to survive than 'we' are. There were still many shops hanging sides of bacon, hams, truckles of cheese and masses of tinned/canned food etc; The survivors then would (at a guess) have a bigger stock of long term preserved food than we have today.

CLEM

Jul 10, 2004
Stourbridge
I love all the series mentioned and watched them all, I can recall another series around the same time as the Last Train, same Post Apocalwhossit genra but I cannot remember what it was called now. It may have been a little before or a little after, anyone remember it and it's title????

Biker

Its all on youtube.

When you look at the book, the 'seeing' would be in a much better situation to survive than 'we' are. There were still many shops hanging sides of bacon, hams, truckles of cheese and masses of tinned/canned food etc; The survivors then would (at a guess) have a bigger stock of long term preserved food than we have today.

I always remember that line in the Triffids book when the main character sees a man skulking down the street clutching a large tin in his hands ready to fight off anyone who'd try to take it away from him. His prize wasn't a large tin of soup but a tin of paint.

I'll have a look out for those other vids on YT. Thanks buddy.

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
I love all the series mentioned and watched them all, I can recall another series around the same time as the Last Train, same Post Apocalwhossit genra but I cannot remember what it was called now. It may have been a little before or a little after, anyone remember it and it's title????

For Survivors I paid around £35 per series on its DVD release IIRC, now you can get all three series for <£30 on amazon. I've all three on my phone...believe it or not the series cheer me up lol

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia

Give us a clue?

English or US?

What can remember about where it was shot? Can you recall any of the actors or characters?

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Talk to MM i you want it. Its....interersting...to watch. Its weird...like a sort of "young adult TV" made in the eighties.

Old Bones

Settler
Oct 14, 2009
East Anglia
Though slightly better than the truly awful Bonekickers. That made me want to cry.

God it was awful. 'Lets Dig'! Lets bury every single tape and script would have been a better idea. I trained as an archaeologist, and everyone I know hated it.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE