TV documentary from the eighties

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
I vividly remember when I was a kid, watching a documentary or TV show about survival. I am sure it showed norwegian or swedish troops and some of there techniques.
now bear in mind this was a long time ago... But it really stuck in my mind and intrigued me.
it showed how heating rocks, and putting them in armpit or behind the knee at night, as a way of staying warm in sub zero temps.
id love to know what the show was? It was def not an early ray mears.
does anyone else remember it?

Insel Affen

Settler
Aug 27, 2014
Tewkesbury, N Gloucestershire
I don't remember that, but do remember two others. One being the great Les Hiddens, Bush Tucker Man. The other was some chap who was taught tha basics and then left for a week at a time in a wood to see how he fared. Can't remember that one either.

I don't remember that, but do remember two others. One being the great Les Hiddens, Bush Tucker Man. The other was some chap who was taught tha basics and then left for a week at a time in a wood to see how he fared. Can't remember that one either.

Was the second show you mention Hugh McManners ? He did a show where people were given a survival scenario or something to that effect on an island, will try and hunt down a link...if pos.
Have scoured the net and found nothing.

Last edited:
Last edited:

weekender

Feb 26, 2006
Cambridge

I remember that show can't recall the name of but I do know it was Lofty Wiseman showing the presenter a London lad as he called himself how to survive. Had him crossing rivers using his trousers as flotation is one episode I recall.

Sent from my KFSOWI using Tapatalk

Rabbitsmacker

Settler
Nov 23, 2008
Kings Lynn
There was a lofty wiseman program where he took the blue peter presenter on a survival trail, can't think of name. The hugh mcmanners show mentioned above is called bare necessities. Also worth a look is royal marines behind the lines. Its a 10 part series I think 10 anyway, and follows the training of the royal marines mountain cadre and is excellent. My ex boss is one of the instructors talking about horrible foods in the classroom. Filmed in the late 1970s by looks of it, plenty of time spent on survival course, wax jackets everywhere!

rancid badger

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
It was Peter Duncan ( a former Chief Scout who actually deserved the title) who spent time with Lofty Wiseman and who, quite frankly put all (including John Noakes) who went before and came after, to shame! :cool:

His follow up series; "Duncan Dares" was rather good for it's time, too.;)

Can't help wondering what he's been up to lately:confused: Lets find out shall we? http://www.heresoneimadeearlier.com/

Cheers

Steve

Joonsy

Native
Jul 24, 2008
UK
There was a lofty wiseman program where he took the blue peter presenter on a survival trail

It was Peter Duncan ( a former Chief Scout who actually deserved the title) who spent time with Lofty Wiseman

Here is the programme of Peter Duncan with Lofty Wiseman
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vSxDSes5xy4
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kJk-OxkQstE

He also did three programmes about backpacking round the world with his family.

I also remember a survival type programme years ago where a group of people (soldiers if I remember correctly though I may be wrong) were left on an island, they had been left a ferret and the idiots killed it to eat it instead of using it to flush out rabbits.

weekender

Feb 26, 2006
Cambridge
I'm sure the show was called Alone in the woods or something like that?? channel 4 I think.. Each week he would meet up with Lofty and go through different scenarios crossing a river, making a shelter etc the presenter wasn't Peter Duncan it was someone I hadn't seen before or seen since on TV

Sent from somewhere?

Oct 30, 2012
Eseex
Behind the lines was available through iplayer a wee while ago, it was part of a section of military programmes on there. Great series with some terrific moustaches!!

bigbeewee

Dec 18, 2010
worldwide
There was a lofty wiseman program where he took the blue peter presenter on a survival trail, can't think of name. The hugh mcmanners show mentioned above is called bare necessities. Also worth a look is royal marines behind the lines. Its a 10 part series I think 10 anyway, and follows the training of the royal marines mountain cadre and is excellent. My ex boss is one of the instructors talking about horrible foods in the classroom. Filmed in the late 1970s by looks of it, plenty of time spent on survival course, wax jackets everywhere!

My first Company SM was the guy in the documentary wearing the ginger cat hat.

absolutely barking Legend

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE