Choice of uk legal pocket knife

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Nov 20, 2014
Letchworth
Hi people, I'm new in here. I have a question that has probably been asked many times. I'd like to Carry a small pocket knife, my dad always had one as did his dad. As I'm always out and about walking the dogs, geocaching or other daily tasks a small pocket knife does come in handy. Does anyone have any recommendation? I really like the spyderco dragon fly 2 salt but I believe this locks and therefore illegal to carry in the uk. Can anyone recommend a similar knife?? Many thanks in advance for any advice.

pteron

Acutorum Opifex
Nov 10, 2003
Wiltshire
pteron.org
I have a Spyderco UK Penknife and a PITS custom, both EDC friendly.

I like them both - the UKPK is the cheaper option, but the PITS is a nicer knife!

reedx

Tenderfoot
Apr 12, 2012
Durham
www.REEDX.net
If you want something more sheeple friendly, then have a look at the Spyderco Squeak. It's probably the only Spyderco I'd be comfortable with as UK legal EDC. Wouldn't replace my SAK Alox Farmer though.

Colin

Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
I wouldn't recommend any of the Spyderco knives, I find them quite uncomfortable to work with, better a SAK or something from a small British knife maker instead.

Last edited:

lavrentyuk

Nomad
Oct 19, 2006
Mid Wales
Just pick up a Navy (stainless) or Army (carbon) jack knife for up to a tenner and job done. Simple, strong, comes with either marlinspike or can/bottle opener and plain screwdriver end normally. Does all the posh knives do at a fraction of the price.

mrcharly

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 25, 2011
North Yorkshire, UK
I'd just like to correct something for the OP. Locking knives are not 'illegal', you just need good reason to have them with you when in a public place.

Clouston98

Woodsman & Beekeeper
Aug 19, 2013
Cumbria
I use a Victorinox Huntsman and a buffalo river damascus ranger knife as my main knives that are legal. I don't carry any blades at all unless I'm on some outdoorsy outing wether it's walking, fishing or camping but I don't if I'm going shopping etc just to avoid trouble in general especially with my age. I really rate a Kellam fixed blade pocket knife though it's not legal so not good for your needs i guess. The Boar knives look great and the other day I had the pleasure of looking and handling an Enzo PK70 which is legal to carry- lovely piece of kit and is now officially on my wish list :D.

galopede

Forager
Dec 9, 2004
Gloucestershire
I have several legal folders and always take one out with me most times.

The most useful and people friendly is the old style Victorinox Soldier which seems to have been renamed the Pioneer as there is a new Soldier which has a locking blade so not a good idea for daily carry.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Victorinox-...1416513439&sr=1-2&keywords=victorinox+soldier

Other suppliers may be cheaper! Just the first I found to show you.

Gareth

swotty

Apr 25, 2009
Somerset
I have several legal folders and always take one out with me most times.

The most useful and people friendly is the old style Victorinox Soldier which seems to have been renamed the Pioneer as there is a new Soldier which has a locking blade so not a good idea for daily carry.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Victorinox-...1416513439&sr=1-2&keywords=victorinox+soldier

Other suppliers may be cheaper! Just the first I found to show you.

Gareth

Strewth..,RRP £113!!!! The £24 their asking is a bargain then :)

cave_dweller

Nomad
Apr 9, 2010
Vale of Glamorgan
For the benefit of the OP, "SAK" is 'knife geek' slang for "Swiss Army Knife".

We seem to make that assumption quite a bit, and it means naff all to 99.9% of the population, so it's probably worth explaining!

PITS is even more obscure. Cut the guy a break folks :D

Toots

Aug 22, 2005
Sutton in Craven, North Yorkshire
Never leave home without my Victorinox Spartan. Found it on rocks in some Welsh bay near Anglesey 10 years ago and it's not left my pocket since.Have others including UKPK and Falkniven U2. Both great knives but there's just something about the SAKs.

Last edited:

Brynglas

I have a wood handled EKA knife with a corkscrew and bottle opener/ screwdriver. Legal blade, no locking mechanism and the blade takes and holds a great edge.
0b2a14c33d01858c709f0f06fc1f33a5.jpg

Last edited:

vizsla

Native
Jun 6, 2010
Derbyshire
This is my daily carry, gets used a lot for many tasks and I love the stainless awl for getting splinters out
A knife is quite personal to the type of things you use it for. For me it's a tough practical work knife but for some it's something a little bit fun or different for opening packages, nothing wrong with either of course, I also have a little alox sak on my keys
36f3924129da218817daa55ac849fc4b.jpg

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
I wouldn't recommend any of the Spyderco knives, I find them quite uncomfortable to work with, better a SAK or something from a small British knife maker instead.

This exactly. Detested the Spyderco I had - really uncomfortable to use.

I do like a SAK (Huntsman or camper for me), but my every day carry is a handmade Trevor Ablett

Ablett Antler by British Red, on Flickr

Costs less than almost all Spydercos - and is a handmade, traditional knife

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE