Dyneema 2.5mm (7/64) 50m lengths - Amsteel - Hammock Whoopie rated! ;-)

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

tim_n

Feb 8, 2010
Essex
Midnighthound - are you going to do the material for the tree huggers? If not, do you know a good place to get some? I need a fair bit as I'm going to do another hammock making camp for the scouts.

I'm just getting another reel authorised by the group.

Midnitehound

Silver Trader
Jun 8, 2011
AREA 51
Midnighthound - are you going to do the material for the tree huggers? If not, do you know a good place to get some? I need a fair bit as I'm going to do another hammock making camp for the scouts.

I'm just getting another reel authorised by the group.

Yep, I can do that. You can't beat the Polyester webbing I use for strength and value. How much do you want? I'll bump the webbing thread up to the top.

tim_n

Feb 8, 2010
Essex
Yep, I can do that. You can't beat the Polyester webbing I use for strength and value. How much do you want? I'll bump the webbing thread up to the top.

Didn't see that one - it all depends on the number of kids - still waiting back to see if I'm doing a camp for 12 or 24. I'll either want 36m or 72 (assuming 1.5m for the treehugger?)

Midnitehound

Silver Trader
Jun 8, 2011
AREA 51
Didn't see that one - it all depends on the number of kids - still waiting back to see if I'm doing a camp for 12 or 24. I'll either want 36m or 72 (assuming 1.5m for the treehugger?)

Personally I'd go with at least a 2m length to start a tree hugger. Some trees are whoppers and that is more likely to provide an always usable length. It can be wrapped around smaller trees several times if necessary which has added advantages.

The quick and easy method is to tie (or sew if you have very strong thread and cross box technique) a small loop in one end of a 3m+ length and then use a carabiner on the hammock for adjustment. Put the tree hugger around the tree and pass the free end through the loop. Take the free end and pass a loop of it, a bite, up through the carabiner and back over the top to form a Lark's foot. Adjust for length, tidy the knot, the webbing in the bite usually needs turning over, pull it down tight on the carabiner and you now have the strongest and simplest integrated tree hugger and suspension in the World. Awesomely easy to loosen and adjust as well, just push the knot towards the carabiner and it instantly loosens regardless of the load, when pulled tight it will never move.

I use this all the time, you can't beat it for simplicity and robustness, ideal for a Scout set-up or anyone. The tree hugger becomes the suspension system or when I use it I just I have massive adjustment as I have the entire length of the tree hugger webbing that comes from the tree to play with and a can clip whoopie slings onto the carabiner as well for fine adjustment and being able to hang between two trees that are forever apart. It saves doing a Marlin Spike Hitch in your webbing as well and damaging it with the Dyneema Whoopie directly on a webbing knot.

Hope that helps.

Last edited:

tim_n

Feb 8, 2010
Essex
More to do with cost - we're making whoopie slings with gathered end hammocks. 4m of amsteel (£6), £10 fabric, is already more than a scout hammock from DD, so it's all about keeping the cost down. Been thinking of going down the scrappy and getting some seatbelt material.

Midnitehound

Silver Trader
Jun 8, 2011
AREA 51
OK, I'm just going to get on and start the ball rolling on this and then just sell off the balance later. PMs have been sent to you all. Please forward the funds so at least some of it can be covered. If you have other outstanding GB items to pay for then please send me a complete list so it can all be paid together if possible.

Ta, Phil

bilmo-p5

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 5, 2010
west yorkshire
1. Midnitehound
2. Irene
3. mountainm/chiseller
4. Tim_n
5. Paul Webster
6. Paul Webster
7. Hoppinmad
8. Stingray
9. Quixoticgeek
10. Raskusdrotti
11. Yeha
12. Yeha
13. Bilmo

tim_n

Feb 8, 2010
Essex
Can I get a bit of paper (or PDF) emailed to me saying it's £35 for amsteel etc (a bit like an invoice) Sorry to be a pain.

Midnitehound

Silver Trader
Jun 8, 2011
AREA 51
Can I get a bit of paper (or PDF) emailed to me saying it's £35 for amsteel etc (a bit like an invoice) Sorry to be a pain.

Yarp, for the greater good.

What colour of paper would you like me to email you, blue or enviro green digipaper? :p I would suggest really really light red but I've already learned to avoid that one, huhum! :rolleyes:

Last edited:

tim_n

Feb 8, 2010
Essex
Yarp, for the greater good.

What colour of paper would you like me to email you, blue or enviro green digipaper? :p I would suggest really really light red but I've already learned to avoid that one, huhum! :rolleyes:

Money should be with you - any colour digipaper is fine. I'm happy to print :)

Just a receipt of sorts - I'll PM you with the accountants email address :)

Midnitehound

Silver Trader
Jun 8, 2011
AREA 51
1. Midnitehound
2. Irene
3. mountainm/chiseller =
4. Tim_n =
5. Paul Webster
6. Paul Webster
7. Hoppinmad =
8. Stingray
9. Quixoticgeek =
10. Raskusdrotti
11. Yeha
12. Yeha
13. Bilmo

I ordered in good time for the Moot but the supplier is still dragging their feet. I have dipped into my stock to supply those that will need it for the Moot etc..

I don't know if I will get the rest shipped before leaving for the Moot because my time is already limited and it will be arriving last minute. We shall see. Sorry guys, good product, good price, long lead time. It may be 20th August before I can ship the rest.

Update: I'm planning on launching into the 1000m roll on Monday (25th). I will ship ASAP after it is measured and cut.

Last edited:

Midnitehound

Silver Trader
Jun 8, 2011
AREA 51
Any news ?

Urm, this was fully tracked, delivered and signed for at your works address almost two weeks ago mate. PM inbound with online tracking number, name of the person that signed, picture of signature etc.. I hope it is sat in the office somewhere.

Update: It was sat in the office somewhere. :)

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE