Postmen (and women), what boots do you wear?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

scottishwolf

Settler
Oct 22, 2006
Ayr
Hey folks,

I have a mate who is a postman and is managing to go through a pair of Hanwag GTX boots every 3-4 months:eek:. Had them resoled twice but they just don't seem to be lasting well at all.

He's looking for a good, hard wearing but comfy for tarmac pounding, 15 miles a day!

He's after a pair of extreme cold weather British army boots but they're impossible to find in a size 9 large.

Any suggestions guys? The post office issued Caterpillar boots lasted a fortnight lol.

Cheers, Davie

mrcharly

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 25, 2011
North Yorkshire, UK
I guess he needs something with a bit of weather resistance.

If his foot shape suites them, Doc Martins last pretty well. Just don't get the type with steel toecaps.

scottishwolf

Settler
Oct 22, 2006
Ayr
He tried Doc Martens and they were murder on his feet and knees. His knees aint good already but he likes the job and soldiers on. He has finally made an appointment to see the orthopedic consultant after us telling him to for the last 3 years. Just hope there's not too much damage done.

Fraxinus

Settler
Oct 26, 2008
Canterbury
Personally I think all posties should be issued with boots that have pebbles embedded in the inner sole, might slow them down enough to get the correct letter through the right letterbox....... not that they can get much slower mind you, but it might wake their flippin ideas up. ;)

The caterpillar boots I have owned for both hiking and work held up well, the workboots got used every day on building sites in all weathers and consistencies of mud for two years, toe leather wore through to the steel before the sole wore out, they cost over 100 quid at the time but I doubt Royal Mail will invest in that kind of quality for staff they will ultimately lay off due to management inadequacies.
Your friend should be able to claim his boots against his tax burden if they are solely for work and those supplied are not fit for purpose.

Rob

samharber

Jan 29, 2014
Tameside
I've always got on well with my Magnums (once broken in) for tarmac/hard trail, but these days I'd rather wear a pair of lightweight running shoes and some waterproof socks.

rorymax

Settler
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Cofra, worth a look, really rather special, so much choice, so take time when selecting.
http://www.safetybootsuk.co.uk/cofra-safety-boots-c-109_2020_5133_5177.html

I was issued these safety boots, I was able to choose my own preferred footwear (with proviso's) and selected these:
They are superbly comfortable in every respect, and lightweight owing to the non-steel (composite) toecap, it was insisted that I have boots with heel, toe, and ankle and chemical protection as a minimum, a postie would not need all of this protection.

I would happily wear them for outdoor pursuits (actually, I do :rolleyes:).

http://www.safetybootsuk.co.uk/cofr...composite-toe-caps-&-apt-midsole-p-90586.html

rorymax

Kiwi Tim

Oct 24, 2014
Taranaki
http://www.steelblue.com.au
the most comfortable boots available.
I was working on a large civil engineering site that involved a lot of walking. These boots are the most comfortable available. We got given italian GriSport boots but they were absolute Foot F@#$ kers. These Aussie boots are the best should be able to get them in the UK.

cranmere

Settler
Mar 7, 2014
Somerset, England
It's not entirely the posties' fault, over the last decade or so they have been expected to deliver more and more letters and can't go home until they have done so. My regular postie says he used to enjoy his job but it's become a pressurised slog.

Footwear - I find trainers far more comfortable than boots unless I'm on seriously muddy ground. Boots hurt my arthritic knees.

Swallow

Native
May 27, 2011
London
Forestschoolmatlot was involved in a Major MOD study on footwear.

IIRC the resulting footwear was designed to be more trainer like. Barefoot was deemed good but only when NOT carrying load.

snozz

Dec 9, 2009
Otley
I'd go with a pair of Blundstone boots myself. I work in a school and am stood up most of the day and my feet never hurt... When they wear out after a couple of years they get replaced with an identical pair

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE