What can I do with this tin?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

gjclayton

Forager
Sep 24, 2012
Bedfordshire
I recently came across this little tin and thought it might be useful as a tinder tin/firestarting kit.
I think it was originally a syringe kit, with the pop up test tube holder.

Anyone got any bright ideas how I can convert this to a tinder kit? The clips might be useful for a smaller ferro rod and maybe keep the testube holder to hold smaller capsules of fire starting chemicals, or straws with cotton inside (they are only 5-6mm wide).

The overall size is: 2.7/8" x 2.1/2" x 7/8"

Any idea would be great to hear!

Mike313

Nomad
Apr 6, 2014
South East
Very interesting tin that. It reminds me of something I saw recently. It was part of a mobile trolley in a chemical plant and it had a fixed version of the 'pop-up' test-tube holder and the trolley was referred to as the Mobile pH Probe Trolley.
Anyways, I wonder if it is worth some money. If it was maybe - depending on your financial circumstances, in my case 'skint' :) - you could flog it and buy a nice piece of kit with the proceeds. But yes it looks like you could adapt it to hold a fire kit. That said, If you are a smoker, it might make an interesting cigarette & (small) cigar case! 8 fags in the pop up section, and a slim panatela and a corona in the other two clips. Throw in some matches and a bic lighter and you have a bushcraft smoker's kit!

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
I'd be looking at a needle case and repair kit holder; it's a nice tin and would be a shame to alter it without very good reason. Seems a bit small for tinder/firelighting.

gjclayton

Forager
Sep 24, 2012
Bedfordshire
I'd be looking at a needle case and repair kit holder; it's a nice tin and would be a shame to alter it without very good reason. Seems a bit small for tinder/firelighting.

Great idea. I have been pulling together a repair kit for a while now and sure the needles would work well in the pop up section. Maybe an awl in the clips etc...

I'll give it a go as a tester.

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
Maybe worth trying some small calibre spent brass ammo cases in the clips? That'd be really cool :)

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
I've got a handfull of 9mm brass you could have a play with; pm me and you can have 'em for postage :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE