2014 elk camp

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

woodsrunner

Forager
May 13, 2013
Montana USA
Howdy folks, woods here
I got back a few days ago after settting up fall hunting camp for Black Otter Outfitters
anyhow thought you might enjoy a short video and a few pics.

we started out from the ranch at first light and ddrove the ten miles to the trailhead, afterwhich we saddled and loaded the stock.
its only about a six mile ride into our Big Creek hunting camp, still it was noon before we arrived there.

after tending to the mules and horses (releasing the majority of them to fend for themselves in the mountains around camp) we went straight to work pitching a wall tent or two.
the frames for the tents we built last year and they were right where we left them leaning against some trees, that
was good because sometimes folks will cut them up for firewood.

the coffee was done so after a quick cup of real cowboy comfort we took up the chainsaws and headed to the "salt mines" where we proceded to make little ones from big ones.

Here is the video

[video=youtube;yi-oGILXhv4]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yi-oGILXhv4[/video]

and here are the photos

so here we are at the trailhead, saddling and packing the manties with food, tools, tents, utencils, hay for the horses and our duffle.

Camp

The Salt mines

the results of two days buckin, splitting and stacking
cook tent

guide tent

Dexter The Logging horse

Below, these logs have been bucked, tossed and stacked, and are awaiting Dexter to drag (skid) them back to camp where they...
...will be cut into rounds, split and stacked

on the fourth and fifth day we Cleareed trails of fallen trees
these mountain trails need to be cleared each and every year
we must have them clear before the clients arrive, they go on for miles and gain several thousand feet in elevation.

taking a break after...
...reaching a bench about 600 ft below the top of the ridge

We stop by an old 'Spike Camp' that has not been used in more than twentyfive years and i found...
...an old treasure someone left hanging in a tree all those many years ago!

I hung the axe back where i found it and we continued our climb,...not long after we made it to the top of the ridge
heres the view from the top

Gary aka The Boss...riding his latest four year old "Mouse"
He breaks all his own horses and thier about the finest mountain horses you'll find anywheres!

Back at camp

Carl aka "cookie" splitting wood for the clients tents

every camp needs one of these!!!

Day Six...packing up and heading out

This is my old friend "Doc"

Thanks for comin along...woods

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Nice trip. I got to do some deer hunting on White Pine Mountain in Nevada, but it was all on foot. Would have loved to have done a guided trip on horse/mule train. Thanks for sharing.

I notice y'all skidded the logs with a choker rather than a pair of tongs; is that the usual way you do it?

woodsrunner

Forager
May 13, 2013
Montana USA
Nice trip. I got to do some deer hunting on White Pine Mountain in Nevada, but it was all on foot. Would have loved to have done a guided trip on horse/mule train. Thanks for sharing.

I notice y'all skidded the logs with a choker rather than a pair of tongs; is that the usual way you do it?[/QUOTE]Thanks for lookin santaman!....nope always use the choker...though tongs would work just as well:)...woods

Last edited:

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Thats the best trip report I have read in many a moon. I really wanted to be there :). Thank you sir.

Gill

Jun 29, 2004
SCOTLAND
Wow what a place ,that looks Big country Woodsrunner , That looks like the ultimate trip for me I,m pretty sure my passion for the outdoors came from watching old western films set in country like that when I was a wee boy.

CallsignSam

Nomad
Jun 13, 2013
Kent
Amazing trip woods, that would the dream trip for a lot of people on here I think!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

11binf

Forager
Aug 16, 2005
Phx. Arizona U.S.A
hey woods you lucky dog,i'm glad to see you guy's had a great time even though you really had to work hard on the trail..me I didn't get drawn this year for cow elk or other wise so just going camping later in the year..any ways great pic's and vids..vince g.11Binf

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
hey woods you lucky dog,i'm glad to see you guy's had a great time even though you really had to work hard on the trail..me I didn't get drawn this year for cow elk or other wise so just going camping later in the year..any ways great pic's and vids..vince g.11Binf

I'd forgotten about the drawings out west. Here the licenses are over the counter with a 2 deer per day limit (nowhere near as big as western Mule deer or Elk though)

When I win the lottery Steve :)

That about sums it up for me too.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE