Land Army Memorial

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Joonsy

Native
Jul 24, 2008
UK
A memorial was unveiled today after a lengthy campaign to remember the contribution by the Land Army Girls. My own late mother served in the Land Army in WW2. They replaced the men who had been called up to fight in the war and their hard work helped feed the nation in times of great need when food rationing was necessary. As an island nation growing food was critical to help in winning the war as at the time it was thought we could be starved into submission by the U-Boat threat, indeed Churchill said that prospect was the only thing that really frightened him. We like to forage for fun today but back then supplementing the food ration was a great help, pigs were kept in back gardens and rabbits were eaten in their thousands.

the memorial
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-stoke-staffordshire-29694149

Joonsy

Native
Jul 24, 2008
UK
thanks for your reply resnikov, i'm sure you're great aunt would have liked it, and deserved it too. ATB.

''sad'' to see this thread has only got one reply i must say !!

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
I think the lack of response has as much to do with the period of time, Joonsy, as opposed to any apathy. I live in a tiny hamlet in the Wye Valley and most of my neighbours are very elderly (nobody young could possibly afford to live anywhere near here, sadly), and most of the men served during or shortly after the war; the womenfolk served in either the Land Army or a few went to the mines in the Valleys.

Twenty years ago there were a lot of them in the hamlet and the farms nearby who would meet on social occassions in the memorial hall and talk for hours about "those days". Since then, it seems like all of a sudden, they're all passed on bar a very few, and the younger family members have been obliged to move away, thus breaking the links and bonds that provided that sense of common purpose that is sadly almost non-existent in rural communities.

It's a poor state of affairs, in my view, but we have to live in the world as it is rather than how we think it ought to be. :)

wandering1

Nomad
Aug 21, 2014
Staffordshire
It's important that the landgirls are remembered
My great uncle was a RAF pilot ( buried near Vic sur Asne) and my grandmother worked in munitions factory during WW11

Joonsy

Native
Jul 24, 2008
UK
Thankyou folks for all your replies. :) I guess we all live in our own time bubble and it is only that which feels relevant to each individual, it is quite understandable. The young of today will one day be old and have their own period to look back on and remember.

I agree Macaroon it’s shocking what’s happened to rural communities (in fact all communities), and you are right wishful thinking does not change reality, thankyou for a nice well written reply and for mentioning the coal miners, there were about 48,000 ''Bevin Boys'' conscripted to work in the coal mines. :)

Thankyou British Red for your reply and adding the ''Lumberjill'' link. Another vital part of the war effort. :)

Thankyou also to Crosslandkelly, Wandering1, Clouston98, Resnikov, for your replies and contributions. ATB. :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE