Vertical or Horizontal?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Wayland

Hárbarðr
Not very often this happens but I can't decide which I like better for this scene.

Malvern-Mists-X.jpg

Malvern-Mists-IX.jpg

Any thoughts?

mountainm

Bushcrafter through and through
Jan 12, 2011
Selby
www.mikemountain.co.uk
Portrait for me. The horizontal banding is better complimented by the vertical aspect of the picture.

i.e Tall thin and stripey works better than short fat and stripey.

mousey

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 15, 2010
NE Scotland
I'd go portrait also, however I'd 'pan' the image to the left slightly to get the tallest tree in the bottom row more to the middle of the picture.

Malvern-Mists-Xmod_zps9b71cf11.jpg
Malvern-Mists-IXoriginal_zpsf4a9ffad.jpg

On closer inspection I've just realised they are individual photos. I thought they were taken from the same image but one cropped portrait the other cropped landscape. I like the landscape image as it has a nicer distribution to the mist but I prefer it in a portrait format....

Last edited:

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
I can't decide which I prefer, I think the portrait image looks neater because it's almost symmetrical and there's more contrast in the trees in the foreground, but I find my eyes being drawn to the centre of the shot and it's quite static. With the landscape image I can feel the mist rolling in from the left, my eyes want to explore it a bit more too.

CallsignSam

Nomad
Jun 13, 2013
Kent
Both great as always.
Personally I think that the portrait image seems more 'interesting'.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

garethw

Settler
Hi
I was always faced with the same question when I used to shoot press pictures, but it was more down to eventual usage than aesthetic choice. We mostly shot landscape format as this is what 90% Newspapers wanted for feature stories.
Most mags too for inside features, double pages etc... But if it was a story of magazine cover importance, we's shoot a few uprights too, as who wouldn't like to see their shot on a magazine cover.
Also on news/sports stories where you had to shoot fast it was just far easier to shoot landscape as the ergonomics and balance of the camera as well as one natural field of view were all far better.

Lovely landscapes by the way Gary... Must asmit I'm always impressed by your work!! I think they both look good.

cheers
Gareth

colly

Forager
Apr 10, 2010
Edenbridge Kent
the two photos serve different purposes the portrait looks more of a close up of detail but i think the landscape just about has it beat (only just) i think it's because of the look of the rolling mist in the middle right. it keeps catching my eye and i'm them looking for movement.
like when a painting has a small window (an old trick) which gets you looking what is happening through there.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE