Hunter Gatherer Challenge- Wilderness Survival Skills (may want to grab a brew first)

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

addo

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 8, 2006
Derbyshire
Nice write up Sam. Congrats again on completing the challenge.
I thoroughly enjoyed it, even the low moments now Im sat in the warm with a brew ;)

Thinking blanket camps are a luxury to be enjoyed from now on :)

GordonM

Settler
Nov 11, 2008
Virginia, USA
Thanks for taking the time, twice, to share this after action review, Sam! I reckon one could look at it as just an extension of the course, kinda like leaving the saw at the shelter and having to retrace your steps to retrieve it. It has been pretty cool observing the 'method in your (bushcrafting) madness' over the years here on BCUK, all geared toward successful completion of this Hunter Gatherer course! Most importantly, you have shown that this woodcrafting thing we do is all about fun in the out of doors! Job well done, Sam, well done!goodjob

Philster

Settler
Jun 8, 2014
Poole, Dorset
Well done for sticking it out, without the safety net of loads of gear the woods is a somewhat harder place to exist. Congrats for making it through, bet your confidence levels are through the roof?
Cheers
Phil

Thoth

Nomad
Aug 5, 2008
Hertford, Hertfordshire
Great write up Sam, thanks for making the effort to share with us. More importantly "Well done mate!" this sort of stuff is hard enough when the weather is fine, but it's much, much harder to keep going when it is wet and cold. Big salute! On Frontier Bushcraft's Intermediate course earlier this summer I remember thinking how much I really wanted an axe, which would have made many tasks easier, interesting that this is something you focused on too. Makes you realise how well off we are when you take on this kind of challenge, even for just a few days.

Cheers! Steve.

sasquatch

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 15, 2008
Northampton
Great write up Sam. Bet you're well chuffed with the outcome. Nice to hear about the negative vibes that separate the boys from the men, it's mainly in the mental although skills are a massive bonus! You'll be living like a king this weekend with a bit of kit behind you. Nicely done mate

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
That was a good read Sam :) I'm glad I finally found time to sit and enjoy it properly :cool:

The weather's the downer; but it's reality, and that you managed to do so well despite the persistant wet is a credit to you and the others who lasted it out.

Multi-tasking becomes a second nature habit, doesn't it ? You can see when you step back just how humanity developed it's forward planning :D and the desire to build shelter too :D
Did you have time to make all those little bushcrafty doohickeys that folks carve ?

Thank you for taking the time to write it all out, for posting it and the photographs :) and I hope it helps persuade more folks to take Joe's challenge too.

While I mind; dandelions, the greens are (especially at this time of year) to be eaten quickly, or used as a herb stuffing in something roasted. Only the new seedlings won't be horrible to eat this late on. The best bit at this time of year are the roots. Roast them sweet, break them up and boil them up for your tea :D If you're lucky the ones growing where you are will be sweet. Sometimes, like acorns, they can be bitter though. Just persuade yourself that they're coffee instead then once you've roasted them.
Did you make a digging stick ? a much under-rated tool is a good digging stick, I reckon.

atb,
Mary

sunndog

May 23, 2014
derbyshire
Nice one mate

Thanks for the write up and well done for completing the course

Gotta say though if I went to do it and they told me I could have a folding saw but no axe i'd ask if they joking.....on my way out the door. :D
Seriously though. As you well know, all that shelter building and firewood gathering is bloody hard work with no axe
especially when coupled with not having a blanket and not the best of weather either

Well done mate

Methinks it was in part a safety thing
i wasnt functioning great by day two and although i didnt maim my self with my knife or saw an axe would of been a much more dangerous option
did highlight what can be done with only the basics too

to be honest i was plenty warm enough with my clothes especially the two dogs boreol shirt like wearing a blanket and i wasnt expecting a solid 8 hours anyway. i hardly noticed the disturbed nights to tend the fire anyone who has or has had a small child is used to distrubed sleep and in truth tending a fire is easier than the whole night feed routine

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE