The Ultimate "What is this Fungi?" thread.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Brynglas

Snowy Meadow Cap? Where does that name come from?...never heard of it before. Haven't heard of Camarophyllus niveus either, but I'm guessing you are referring to Hygrocybe virginea (or Snowy Waxcap). In which it is definitely not, because that species has white gills.
They're not uncommon, certainly see them reasonably often and they're referenced in several of my fungi guides. I'll try and post some links in due course. Difficult to be exact from a photo but the habitat is certainly similar.

mercurykev

Forager
Sep 6, 2011
Musselburgh
They're not uncommon, certainly see them reasonably often and they're referenced in several of my fungi guides. I'll try and post some links in due course. Difficult to be exact from a photo but the habitat is certainly similar.

Snowy meadow cap, Snowy wax cap, Hygrocybe virginea, Camarophyllus virgineus, and Hygrophorus virgineus are all just synonyms. http://www.mushroomexpert.com/cuphophyllus_virgineus.html

Geoff Dann

Native
Sep 15, 2010
Sussex
www.geoffdann.co.uk
Looks like this damned dry weather is about to be replaced by proper autumn stuff. Change will start on Saturday and by Monday it's going to be wet and windy. Given how quiet the fungi have been since early September it is a fairly safe bet that we're going to see the season peak in mid-October. There's going to be fungi all over the place from about the 10th.

Last edited:

Harvestman

Bushcrafter through and through
May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
Looks like this damned dry weather is about to be replaced by proper autumn stuff. Change will start on Saturday and by Monday it's going to be wet and windy. Given how quiet the fungi have been since early September it is a fairly safe bet that we're going to see the season peak in mid-October. There's going to be fungi all over the place from about the 10th.

We will feel free to innundate you with queries then :)

I'd hate for you to be bored.

The_Taffinch

Mar 31, 2014
Hungerford, Berkshire
Hello,

Anyone any idea what this may be? Found on local common earlier today. They were quite large - perhaps 8-10cm tall. I wasn't able to look at the gills or spores as right at the point that I took the photo, my dog decided to start feasting on a dead festering stinking rabbit. Charming animal.

IMG_20140930_182102.jpg

IMG_20140930_182122.jpg

mountainm

Bushcrafter through and through
Jan 12, 2011
Selby
www.mikemountain.co.uk
My eldest and I were exploring a new wood when we found this bad boy. About the size of a dinner plate.
e97398d657d1431dc65be0ebc55a1f26.jpg

Thinking an old orange birch bolete?

Last edited:

Geoff Dann

Native
Sep 15, 2010
Sussex
www.geoffdann.co.uk
I assume you know it is one of the large orange Leccinums...

There is a slight improvement out there. The fungi are beginning to respond to the rain we've had, and some new stuff is just starting to come through. I hope we are going to see some more activity in this thread going forwards!!

mercurykev

Forager
Sep 6, 2011
Musselburgh
I assume you know it is one of the large orange Leccinums...
The fungi are beginning to respond to the rain we've had, and some new stuff is just starting to come through. I hope we are going to see some more activity in this thread going forwards!!

I've noticed what looks to be a bit of a second flush of penny buns out at one of my spots. I Hadn't seen any there for over a month but on Thursday there were a few prime examples poking through.

Smith28

Nomad
Nov 26, 2010
South East
Just noticed this thread and had a couple from previous trips out that I'd always wondered about.

First:

Always thought that was a Parasol?

Second:

Really never had a clue about that one. Both in the New Forest.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE