Help me choose a Mora

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

rorymax

Settler
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Confused, yes I am :eek:

Mora Companion and Clipper seem to be the same knife, should I select stainless or carbon steel blade, there are blunt tips, survival versions and yet another with a sharpener thrown in.

I think I would rather have a compact quality sharpener rather than some compromise type, any suggestions on a tiny very good field sharpener would be really nice.

Should I have a partially serrated blade, so far I have never had reason to think a serrated blade was necessary, except for cutting bread.

Can you help me decide on what to buy?

Admittedly naive and dumb on the knife subject and that is why I am asking, OH and do you have any preferred places to buy from?

I want to thank you in advance for comments.

Happy Autumn and Winter to you all.

rorymax

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
As far as I'm concerned, get yourself either a Companion or a Clipper in carbon steel and use it, learn how to keep it in good fettle and keep an edge, then when you have some experience you'll be in a good position to decide what you want/need from a knife and you'll have a really good reference point to compare other knives to.

Hultafors and some others do perfectly servicable knives for way less than a tenner and there's nothing at all wrong with them.

I know plenty of very skilled woodsmen who use only very basic knives and do wonderful things with them; get yourself an Opinel no. 8 to go with it and Bob's yer uncle! :)

The Cumbrian

Nov 10, 2007
The Rainy Side of the Lakes.
You won't go far wrong with a classic wooden handled Mora. If you want to get a better sheath ask someone on here to make one for you, or make your own. If you have some cash in your pocket, get one of Hill Bill's Mora clones, and which are very nice indeed.

Cheers, Michael.

Adze

Native
Oct 9, 2009
Cumbria
www.adamhughes.net
I've got one of these:
http://www.raymears.com/Bushcraft_Product/952-Morakniv-Companion-Heavy-Duty-MG-Knife/

Which is, it seems, a slightly better price than one of these:
http://www.heinnie.com/mora-companion-heavy-duty

I've also got one of these:
http://www.heinnie.com/hultafors-craftsmans-orange-carbon

...and one of these:
http://www.heinnie.com/hultafors-craftsmans-knife-carbon

Apart from the Mora being slightly shinier and a little thicker in the spine and the Hultafors being slightly better at making sparks with a firesteel... I can't tell the difference.

ozzy1977

Jan 10, 2006
Henley
I got the robust last year, it is just a little thicker than the clipper and I found the handle a bit fatter which I prefer so I kept it and sold the clipper. I use the carbo steel one and cant fault it.

Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
"...Should I have a partially serrated blade..."
No, you will not need a serrated edge.

Like the Cumbrian I'd recommend a Mora number 2 in Carbon.

2a7QyhY.jpg

There are some blade options, you can read about them here.

"...any suggestions on a tiny very good field sharpener would be really nice..."

For a sharpener check out the earlier thread on the 'Five pound sharpening kit'. You can make it as tiny as you are comfortable using, however a smaller sharpener will be harder to use.

:)

Last edited:

MartiniDave

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 29, 2003
Cambridgeshire
You won't really go wrong with any of the Moras or Hultafors to be honest. I would say avoid serrations on the blade. I use carbon steel in the woods, stainless on the coast or in the kitchen. Wood or plastic handle? we;;, that's just whatever you like, I've got some of each and use both.

Whatever you choose, just enjoy it and learn to use it right.

Dave

robevs73

Maker
Sep 17, 2008
llanelli
I'd go for the wood handle classic in carbon and make some wet and dry paper sharpening boards and a leather strop for sharpening.

rorymax

Settler
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
I know that it has been some time since I asked my initial question, but I thought that it would be right to to let you all know what I decided to buy.

First of all I want to thank you all for your advice, Thanks.

I ended up going for the Mora Companion in stainless steel, against some of the advice given -sorry for that.

It just seemed a safer bet as I will be using it for salt water fishing use and I am sometimes a bit lax in remembering to service and maintain all of my kit immediately after I return from a trip.

Thanks for all the help and suggestions, you are a great bunch :cool:

rorymax

Beefy0978

Forager
Jul 18, 2012
South west
Bushcraft black is the best mora have ever made! Does everything that a knife 6 times the pride can do. Comes with Ferro rod and sharpener included. Excellent value for money. I keep one in the workshop and use it for everything. This morning I scraped the rust of my car engines dump with it before painting it. The knife keeps coming back for more!

Ruud

Jun 29, 2012
Belgium
www.rudecheers.wordpress.com
Just got me one of these, Mora works together with Bahco. Bahco releases these knives even cheaper! The stainless steel has another heat treat, making sharpening a bit easier.
Bahco 2444 carpenters knife
2444_Mora_Knife.jpg

Last edited:

Moose

Feb 20, 2005
Torquay
Mora 2000 is my favourite. Can get it in safety orange too.
Had my green one for years of hard and callous use. Never needed to buy another knife since to be honest. Have about 7 various Moras and a whole heap of others but none has served any better really than my trusty M2K

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE