where to get braintan deer hide UK?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

ayylmao

Banned
Sep 13, 2014
sussex
:confused:hello bushcraftUK. i want to do multiple projects with brain tan deerskin, but i do not know where to get any brain tanned deerhide in the UK? i have looked for ages to find any websites, but all the brain tan sellers are in the US and selling american deer hides ( i want to be as historically accurate as possible) could anyone tell me any websites where i could buy brain tan deerskin/buckskin, from UK deer? thanks

(if i am posting in the wrong place sorry)

mace242

Native
Aug 17, 2006
Yeovil, Somerset, UK
May be a bit of a stretch but why not make your own? It is possible to get brains and hides from game dealers. If it's too much then game dealers may have details of other people they supply hides to that you can get the tanned hides from.

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
You might try emailing Theresa Kamper who was at the Bushmoot this year.

She's an expert on tanning by traditional skills and ought to be able to point you in the right direction.

Drop my a PM if you want her email address.

Neumo

Jul 16, 2009
West Sussex
There is a guy selling them at Bently Wood fair if you can get up there today. He is in a buckskin shirt on the lower end of the woodland section. I bought a buckskin off hims couple of years ago that still smells of the smoke used in the tanning. Not cheap but really nice skin and as subtle as you like, almost like goat.

ayylmao

Banned
Sep 13, 2014
sussex
yeah i went there today, didnt have the money to buy em so he gave me the card to his website. he was the one with the flint tools and buckskin shirt. hopefully hell have some on his website

ayylmao

Banned
Sep 13, 2014
sussex
i have tried to tan a deer hide. i ruined it though. ill keep on trying with deer hides i get, but tanning is really labour intensive and hard work.

Exbomz

Oct 19, 2004
East Sussex
This is me and it's funny reading about yourself in the 3rd person as I didn't see the thread.

I'll be at the weald wood fair again this year with more skins. I do sell them via my web site but because each skin varies, and the properties of each are different and the myriad of uses they can be put to, I do not list individual skins on my web site. If you need any, email me and we can discuss what you intend to use it for so I can see what I have that will best suit your needs.

Cheers

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE