Show us your cutting tool trios!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Clouston98

Woodsman & Beekeeper
Aug 19, 2013
Cumbria
A bump for this! I'm sure some of the British Blades members will have some tasty tools to post up!

Let's see them! :)

demographic

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 15, 2005
-------------
I don't take many photos of them so there's just this one of Abe resting his chin on the bar of one of my cutting tools while he was sleeping.
DSC01735.jpg

Then there's an old set of CK secateurs I sometimes carry. Can't say I've bothered taking any photos of those.

demographic

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 15, 2005
-------------
Nice saw and a lovely dog too! :)

Thanks. He's getting on a bit now (the pic was taken a few years ago) and pretty stiff in his backlegs.
Still up for a walk anytime but not upto doing the longer walks that I like.

Still, I feel that after years of him paddling along beside me all over the place I can suffer the shorter walks for a bit.

Clouston98

Woodsman & Beekeeper
Aug 19, 2013
Cumbria
Thanks. He's getting on a bit now (the pic was taken a few years ago) and pretty stiff in his backlegs.
Still up for a walk anytime but not upto doing the longer walks that I like.

Still, I feel that after years of him paddling along beside me all over the place I can suffer the shorter walks for a bit.

It's lovely to have memories of good times with a dog. Ours is starting to get older now- she's still got the energy for a day out but she's not as game for the early morning walks as she used to be. There's still nothing like a good trip to the woods or the fells with mans best friend :).

Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
"...I wonder what percentage of us seem to use keffiyeh/shemaghs as backdrops for kit shots. Seems to be coming almost ubiquitous.:D.."

I do, mainly because most of my gear (especially sharps and tools) are rolled up inside shemaghs. When I'm walking long distances I roll all my gear up into clothing bundles and secure them with cord rather than use stuff sacks or manufacturers cases etc.

My 'trio' these days would be a Mora number 2, GB Scandinavian Felling Axe and a Bahco folding saw. However most of those are back in Scotland, so a GB Small Forest Axe, a Mora in carbon steel and another Bahco.

The Doug Ritter RSK 1 folder is my day to day work knife.

P9220001.JPG

Edited to add:

If I plan to have longer stay somewhere and need to process a lot of wood, I'd take a bow saw, something cheap and cheerful from B&Q, I have in the past done the Ray Mears thing where the bow saw blade is rolled up into my billy can and then I make a handle on site from hazel or similar. Its quite cool but labor intensive. Packing a blade into a bit of plastic duct and strapping the handle to my pack is much easier.

bowsaw.png

:)

Last edited:

Clouston98

Woodsman & Beekeeper
Aug 19, 2013
Cumbria
Great set beefy! They'll serve you well mate! :)

Nice idea sandbender- I'll have to,get me a shemagh sooner or later. I think they'd be handy as a dishcloth too :).

Clouston98

Woodsman & Beekeeper
Aug 19, 2013
Cumbria
The list of uses is endless, I think there may be a thread listing them.

Keeps the sun off.
Towel.
Sling for damaged arms or hands.
picnic cloth.
Changing mat for babies
etc. etc.

Yeah it's worth getting one, and I can do the nice photos too! :)

Clouston98

Woodsman & Beekeeper
Aug 19, 2013
Cumbria
I do, mainly because most of my gear (especially sharps and tools) are rolled up inside shemaghs. When I'm walking long distances I roll all my gear up into clothing bundles and secure them with cord rather than use stuff sacks or manufacturers cases etc.

My 'trio' these days would be a Mora number 2, GB Scandinavian Felling Axe and a Bahco folding saw. However most of those are back in Scotland, so a GB Small Forest Axe, a Mora in carbon steel and another Bahco.

The Doug Ritter RSK 1 folder is my day to day work knife.

P9220001.JPG

Edited to add:

If I plan to have longer stay somewhere and need to process a lot of wood, I'd take a bow saw, something cheap and cheerful from B&Q, I have in the past done the Ray Mears thing where the bow saw blade is rolled up into my billy can and then I make a handle on site from hazel or similar. Its quite cool but labor intensive. Packing a blade into a bit of plastic duct and strapping the handle to my pack is much easier.

bowsaw.png

Great tool mate! The pictures only just loaded? Anyhow, smashing kit! :)

Green Weasel

Tenderfoot
Jul 4, 2010
West Sussex
IMGP6819-1.jpg

The saw in the photo is not my favourite. Its usually my old folding Poundland special that sees most abuse. The "big knife" is just an old butcher's cleaver that I attacked with an angle grinder and is used to split wood and put points on things rather than bash the good knife about too much.

Last edited:

Dark Horse Dave

Apr 5, 2007
Surrey / South West London
I'm interested in Nessmuks trio of cutting tools, but I don't have a double bit (as much as I want one!). So if you were to only take 3 cutting tools to the woods, what would they be? Photos please! :)/QUOTE]

I've got a little selection for you. First off, my "standard" set if you like. Here we have my Condor Bushlore (a later version one, and which I really like. I managed to pick up an old sheath from Chris Claycombe which fits it perfectly), a bog standard Gransfors Bruks Wildlife Hatchet, and a Bob Dustrude Quick Bucksaw with its Duluth case:

Bushcrafttriostandard2.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Next, here's my more modern kit, I guess you might call it. The Fiskars (branded Wilkinson Sword) axe is my go-to one for splitting larger bits of firewood. I never liked the hard plastic mask / handle thing that came with it, and knocked up this rough leather one, which does the job OK and is less bulky); then there's my Silky Pocket Boy and lastly my BK11 Becker Necker (which I know is "tacticool", but it's a great little knife that sits nice and flat under my shirt or whatever, and keeps a good edge):

Bushcrafttrionew2.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

And here's my final set, and which I'm enjoying playing with at the moment. I call it my "traditional" set, which vaguely describes it I guess. The knife is a Dave Budd blade I handled (with a bit from an old oak table leg!) along with a sheath I made; there's a standard Laplander handsaw, and finally a little hatchet which I found in a box of junk from a house clearance. I put a new haft on it - just a ready-made one - and made this belt-hanging mask for it at this year's Bushmoot, under the expert instruction of Eric Methven.

Bushcr5afttriotrad2.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Attachments

• Bushcraft trio standard (2).jpg
    Bushcraft trio standard (2).jpg
    98.1 KB · Views: 15
  • Bushcraft trio new (2).jpg
    Bushcraft trio new (2).jpg
    94.6 KB · Views: 16
  • Bushcr5aft trio trad (2).jpg
    Bushcr5aft trio trad (2).jpg
    82.1 KB · Views: 15
Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE