Controversial way to signal.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

BigMonster

Sep 6, 2011
Manchester
I have been updating my survival kit and got an idea about signalling.
You can use a fire or a signalling mirror. Or even spend good money on a signalling strobe. But what if there was a cheap, compact and readily available device that can reach a plane few miles out with pin point accuracy? LASER.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iI7Qq1mYQlI

There are few videos on yt about idiots disturbing pilots with them. But it should work like a charm on the mountain in the middle of nowhere...
Tell me what you think.

Tracker NTS-054

Forager
Sep 8, 2013
Nottinghamshire
If it was the only alternative to dying then yes.. However the probability of being in a 'life or death' situation with your trusty laser but not a (far easier to use) mobile phone or radio is slim...

Also it would depend on who you're pointing it at... If you're directing it towards SAR then fair play but if you're pointing it at people that aren't looking for you then be more careful...

Cheers,

cbr6fs

Native
Mar 30, 2011
Athens, Greece
You can use a fire or a signalling mirror. Or even spend good money on a signalling strobe. But what if there was a cheap, compact and readily available device that can reach a plane few miles out with pin point accuracy? LASER.

There are few videos on yt about idiots disturbing pilots with them. But it should work like a charm on the mountain in the middle of nowhere...
Tell me what you think.

The pilot would see the laser at their end but have absolutely no idea where it is coming from, so i don't think it'd make a good signalling device.

It's also a battery powered electronic device so reliability would be a concern.

In the UK a whistle is still the best solution IMO.
Cheap, light, reliable and is a good guide to your position.

backpacker

Forager
Sep 3, 2010
Eastbourne, East Sussex

Tell me what you think.

With a Laser you get pin point accuracy to the pilot or your rescuers, but you will not neccesarily show your position on the ground.
Personally I would stick to the strobe light especially at dusk, to get more reflection lay a space blanket out on the ground and place the strobe in the middle you will be amazed of how much more light is reflected, as for day time as you have already mentioned, I would use the trusty old mirror to get attention! and of course the Signalling Fires to form a triangle which will give enough smoke to show your position clearly!

janso

Dec 31, 2012
Penwith, Cornwall
I think the rescue flares emit a visible beam from source so as to id it's origin; a few people have recommended their use. Normal pyrotechnics are not transferable to other countries by flight and are also time expired with a specific place to get rid of, currently HM Coastguard. It's not a replacement for other types
of signalling, i.e. strobes, flares, whistles, etc, just another means for options and income to the manufacturer!

Sent from my hidey hole using Tapatalk... sssh!

Dansvidania

Aug 27, 2014
Italy
What if you point one of those green lasers that emit a visible beam of light at your zenith at night(maybe in a ...---... pattern to let people know you are not a dumb kid messing with planes)?

I think that gives a pretty good hint about where you are at and it is visible by anyone quite a few kilometres away as long as you can get it past the canopy.

Thank you for sharing this, I never thought about bringing one around with me and I think I am going to now :D

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
I think the rescue flares emit a visible beam from source so as to id it's origin; a few people have recommended their use. Normal pyrotechnics are not transferable to other countries by flight and are also time expired with a specific place to get rid of, currently HM Coastguard. It's not a replacement for other types
of signalling, i.e. strobes, flares, whistles, etc, just another means for options and income to the manufacturer!

Sent from my hidey hole using Tapatalk... sssh!

The only "flares" I know of are pyrotechnic. And they're required on international flights. Or are you talking about some other type of flare?

Teepee

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 15, 2010
Northamptonshire
Most of us carry a head torch in the middle of nowhere, or a mobile phone, or torch. Miles better than trying to burn a pilot's retina out and with a much better spread.

Me, I use one of these;
transparent_spot2.png

bambodoggy

Nov 10, 2004
Surrey
www.stumpandgrind.co.uk
However the probability of being in a 'life or death' situation with your trusty laser but not a (far easier to use) mobile phone or radio is slim...,

Really? Seriously? You actually ever leave the safety of your home without at least two of these secreted about your person in some cunning and imaginative way?

How have you ever lived this long with such a Devil may Care attitude to your own personal safety? Lol

:lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

Tracker NTS-054

Forager
Sep 8, 2013
Nottinghamshire
Really? Seriously? You actually ever leave the safety of your home without at least two of these secreted about your person in some cunning and imaginative way?

How have you ever lived this long with such a Devil may Care attitude to your own personal safety? Lol

:lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

Excuse me? Clearly you didn't understand my post. Perhaps you should read it again. I'm saying that it is improbable that you should find yourself in a situation where you could signal via laser but not by phone/radio; meaning if you don't have a working phone or radio for whatever reason your laser won't be much good either (relative to conventional alternatives such as heliograph or whistle - which are waterproof and don't rely on battery)

This implies that I always have a phone or radio. Currently not much comes before my personal safety thank you!

In fact I find it absurd that you seem to believe you could find yourself in a situation with a working laser but not a working phone... What could you possibly be doing?!

Last edited:

woodspirits

Jul 24, 2009
West Midlands UK
www.facebook.com
i dont know about other mobile 'phones, i have a Seals TS3 which amongst other useful features has a SOS facility. this can be in the form of a SOS strobe light on a loop until the battery runs out, or upon a long press of a designated button calls up to 5 numbers with a message of your choice with the GPS co-ordinates of your exact position, pretty cool i thought.

cbr6fs

Native
Mar 30, 2011
Athens, Greece
i dont know about other mobile 'phones, i have a Seals TS3 which amongst other useful features has a SOS facility. this can be in the form of a SOS strobe light on a loop until the battery runs out, or upon a long press of a designated button calls up to 5 numbers with a message of your choice with the GPS co-ordinates of your exact position, pretty cool i thought.

Great ideas but for me i'd prefer to have my strobe and phone separate that way i don't drain my phones battery by using it as a torch.

With regards to the 5 calls, that's only useful if you have a signal, which in many outdoors type areas in the UK a mobile phone signal goes from rare to virtually impossible.

Recently did 5 days in Scotland and we didn't get a signal once.
On a 5 day trip in the Lakes we only had a signal in certain very restricted spots and even then only a few times each day.

I would also stress caution on relying on 1 device, what if the battery wears out quicker than expected, what if you drop it without realising, break it etc etc

Signalling can be a real life saver no matter how you do it, i really really really wouldn't rely on signalling to get me out of a emergency type scenario though, as if it's late at night in a remote area it's unlikely anyone will see a torch beam or hear a whistle.

In this case it's better to have a few basics with you so that although it's not going to be a comfortable night you should have enough clothing and shelter/weather protection with you in winter and fluids, together with the appropriate clothing, shelter with you in summer.

bambodoggy

Nov 10, 2004
Surrey
www.stumpandgrind.co.uk
What could you possibly be doing?!

I could tell you....but not without dismantling the whole basis of western civilisation! ! ! lol

Or I could just say I was having a wild stab at sarcastic humour to emphasis (as in I agree with you) about being unlikely to have a laser with you and not a phone. It would appear that my attempt has backfired with you and for that I am sorry :) It made me chuckle at the time but as I type this it seems less and less funny.....I'll get me coat ;)

No harm meant :)

Tracker NTS-054

Forager
Sep 8, 2013
Nottinghamshire
I could tell you....but not without dismantling the whole basis of western civilisation! ! ! lol

Or I could just say I was having a wild stab at sarcastic humour to emphasis (as in I agree with you) about being unlikely to have a laser with you and not a phone. It would appear that my attempt has backfired with you and for that I am sorry :) It made me chuckle at the time but as I type this it seems less and less funny.....I'll get me coat ;)

No harm meant :)

In light of this, having read it back I'm trying very hard not to laugh and wake everyone up... It's actually very sharp, dry and wondrously sarcastic ;) unfortunately my sarcasm receptors aren't as sharp at 00:44 in the morning ;) you've made my night!

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=8RE5Q9vbdC0

Last edited:

woodspirits

Jul 24, 2009
West Midlands UK
www.facebook.com
Great ideas but for me i'd prefer to have my strobe and phone separate that way i don't drain my phones battery by using it as a torch.

With regards to the 5 calls, that's only useful if you have a signal, which in many outdoors type areas in the UK a mobile phone signal goes from rare to virtually impossible.

Recently did 5 days in Scotland and we didn't get a signal once.
On a 5 day trip in the Lakes we only had a signal in certain very restricted spots and even then only a few times each day.

I would also stress caution on relying on 1 device, what if the battery wears out quicker than expected, what if you drop it without realising, break it etc etc

Signalling can be a real life saver no matter how you do it, i really really really wouldn't rely on signalling to get me out of a emergency type scenario though, as if it's late at night in a remote area it's unlikely anyone will see a torch beam or hear a whistle.

In this case it's better to have a few basics with you so that although it's not going to be a comfortable night you should have enough clothing and shelter/weather protection with you in winter and fluids, together with the appropriate clothing, shelter with you in summer.

absolutely agree, it is primarily a 'phone hence the 'other useful features'. there has to be a plan b,c,d etc. as for coverage you don't have to be in the back of beyond to get in trouble! :)

bambodoggy

Nov 10, 2004
Surrey
www.stumpandgrind.co.uk
In light of this, having read it back I'm trying very hard not to laugh and wake everyone up... It's actually very sharp, dry and wondrously sarcastic ;) unfortunately my sarcasm receptors aren't as sharp at 00:44 in the morning ;) you've made my night!

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=8RE5Q9vbdC0

Thanks buddy :)

I'm off to bed now before I put my foot in it again ;)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE