This ultralite chair looks familiar

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

mountainm

Bushcrafter through and through
Jan 12, 2011
Selby
www.mikemountain.co.uk
I bet they come from the same factory too. Robbing gits.

I doubt it. The helinox one supports nearly double the weight. I think it is just a cheap rip off. However would be interested if anyone dares to take a punt.

Interestingly the 80kg warning only shows up on the Amazon ipad app which has way more info than the website or the phone app.

Buckshot

Mod
Mod
Jan 19, 2004
Oxford
I tried one briefly and wasn't overly impressed tbh
It might be OK if you're of small stature - both height and width, but for me the seat felt quite bendy and the back support is short.
I'm not huge, maybe on the larger size of average (6ft tall and about 15 st) but I don't think it would last long before something snapped/ bent

mountainm

Jan 12, 2011
Selby
www.mikemountain.co.uk
I tried one briefly and wasn't overly impressed tbh
It might be OK if you're of small stature - both height and width, but for me the seat felt quite bendy and the back support is short.
I'm not huge, maybe on the larger size of average (6ft tall and about 15 st) but I don't think it would last long before something snapped/ bent

The cheap one? Or the helinox one?

Tiley

Life Member
Oct 19, 2006
Gloucestershire
I'm 6'1" and 14 stone (on a good day…). I have the Helinox chair and it is very comfortable. The only problem for its use in the woods comes from the legs which tend to sink into the soft, forest floor. I'm thinking of creating something to distribute my considerable load more widely to prevent this but it will compromise the glorious lightweight of the chair somewhat! Still, it is a very comfy and, thus far, hard wearing piece of kit.

Blaidd

Nomad
Jun 23, 2013
UK
The Amazon one seems to be an "improved" version as it states it "Has the stable four legs of bridge ...". That's got to be good, hasn't it? I was intrigued so I got my large wooden spoon out and I've emailed Helinox in Holland and asked if its one of theirs as its such a good deal and the company is in Hamburg, Germany (as opposed to Hamburg, PA ;) ). I'll let you know if I get a reply.

steve a

Settler
Oct 2, 2003
south bedfordshire
I'm 6'1" and 14 stone (on a good day…). I have the Helinox chair and it is very comfortable. The only problem for its use in the woods comes from the legs which tend to sink into the soft, forest floor. I'm thinking of creating something to distribute my considerable load more widely to prevent this but it will compromise the glorious lightweight of the chair somewhat! Still, it is a very comfy and, thus far, hard wearing piece of kit.

I have the same but a friend solved the problem for me as he had the same issues. A length of plastic pipe from Band Q, cut to size just longer than the width of the legs, drill two oversize holes so the feet can fit in them. I have shock corded mind as well, I put the front legs in first, shock cord goes over the middle spreader bar and all good to go, no more sinking but it does add a couple of ounces to the total weight.

Dave

Hill Dweller
Sep 17, 2003
Brigantia
I'd like a strong camping chair. Preferably one of those low ones for taking canoeing. Ive broken a few cheap ones. They are all from China, and the metal tubing bends. If anyone knows of a supplier of a strong decent one, I'd like to know.

This kind of design:

oneill-mens-hyperfreak-chair-1_detail.jpg

Or these look great:

f_1977x_1.1.jpg

Last edited:

Tiley

Life Member
Oct 19, 2006
Gloucestershire
I have the same but a friend solved the problem for me as he had the same issues. A length of plastic pipe from Band Q, cut to size just longer than the width of the legs, drill two oversize holes so the feet can fit in them. I have shock corded mind as well, I put the front legs in first, shock cord goes over the middle spreader bar and all good to go, no more sinking but it does add a couple of ounces to the total weight.

Now there's a solution! Many thanks - I'll give it a go.

Podcast Bob

Just a heads up folks.

When I was over at the German European Fair this July there were lots of these 'copies' on display from various Chinese manufacturers, considerably cheaper and considerably weaker. Using thinner tubes, weaker components and cheap fabric.

That Amazon picture of the girl sitting in the seat is of a small petite Chinese lass. Not a big hairy arsed Bushcrafter with a crate of beers on one side and a fire on the other!

Pay cheap - pay twice!

Squidders

Aug 3, 2004
Harrow, Middlesex
I have a proper Helinox Chair One and have had a friend called "Big Si" sitting on it... Far far exceeding the specified weight limit and the chair flexed a bit but held up.

Very impressed (and relieved!) was I.

As an aside, the proper ball feet work very well also.

mountainm

Jan 12, 2011
Selby
www.mikemountain.co.uk
Just a heads up folks.

When I was over at the German European Fair this July there were lots of these 'copies' on display from various Chinese manufacturers, considerably cheaper and considerably weaker. Using thinner tubes, weaker components and cheap fabric.

That Amazon picture of the girl sitting in the seat is of a small petite Chinese lass. Not a big hairy arsed Bushcrafter with a crate of beers on one side and a fire on the other!

Pay cheap - pay twice!

To be fair Bob you would say that given you stock the expensive ones - but time will tell. At the price of a helinox one I simply wouldn't buy at all. I'm 15st and this one seems pretty solid to me. It's also very similar to the REI one which lots of folks on hammockforums are using with no problems.

http://www.rei.com/product/829239/rei-flex-lite-chair

EDIT

Just for comparisons sake - let us know the tube diameter and wall thickness of the helinox one, would be good to compare.

Last edited:

Squidders

Aug 3, 2004
Harrow, Middlesex
I'm not saying the cheaper ones are bad but a toilet roll inner is probably a greater diameter and wall thickness than the chair. Good materials and bad materials share many common properties.

That said, I like the design and there is no real reason, other than to get back R&D costs and make a profit (which is not only reasonable, it's completely fair for the company that got there first and put the effort in) that the chair should be as expensive as it is.

It's also a good ethical question isn't it. Just because in the far east where the factories are, it's common for items to be copied, is it right to do so or to support that? If you want one it means you like the design and it's a bit harsh to buy from someone making a blatant rip off after the original company invested in bringing it to market.

As for the feet, tennis balls are ok but I don't think they go in the bag... before I got the proper feet, I cut two lengths of pipe and drilled a hole in either end for the regular feet to go in. I saw it on another forum somewhere. They fit in the bag, weight little and work a treat.

SDC10915%20(Medium)-L.jpg

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE