Your picture of the day...

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
May 16, 2011
Perth
I'd like to post one photo that I think sums up quite nicely the two day Secrets of the Heath event I was apart of this weekend. I recently helped build a Mesolithic dug out log boat. Here is Will Lord being taken out on it at Petersfield lake with Ryan Watts, lead builder at Butser Ancient Farm. The event was very busy and we had many eager passengers in the boat and I lost count of how many times I got to paddle. Will was doing flint knapping, the Butser Roman Legion was there, medieval duels took place, and conservation stands were stocked with amphibians and reptiles and much more. :)

yAtjX9i.jpg

One of these log boats were found in Carpow just down the river from where I live. Went to see it in Perth museum, amazing looking things they don't look like they should float.

THOaken

Native
Jan 21, 2013
England(Scottish Native)
One of these log boats were found in Carpow just down the river from where I live. Went to see it in Perth museum, amazing looking things they don't look like they should float.
All it really takes is a flattened underside, apparently. :) We had no problems, aside from a slight list to one side, but that's easily fixed and I think should be fixed now that the boat is back at the Farm. I have a thread on the construction of the Eurybia if you'd like to see more.

Thanks for looking.

Harvestman

Bushcrafter through and through
May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
From a spell mucking about with extension tubes and letting the camera find its own focus when placed in front of things. No tripod so I put the camera on the ground and used a 2 second shutter delay.

Rather pleased with this one, which is of a blackening wax-cap, Hygrocybe nigrescens.

15119068191_10c0b09ef7_b.jpg

Seoras

Mod
Mod
Oct 7, 2004
Bramley, Hampshire
I had a wander around our village and local woods with my son today.

Came across this little critter lying under a big old ash. Finlay was quite intrigued with him and it gave us quite a bit to chat about re the whole life cycle process.

I took it with my phone so it is not in any great detail but the squirrel had been dead for some time and was fairly well down the decomposing line.

WP_20140907_159_zpsc1509acb.jpg

Cheers

George

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Blackpool-Fireworks-II.jpg

Blackpool-Fireworks-I.jpg

Blackpool-Fireworks-III.jpg

Taken last Friday night at the Blackpool International Fireworks Championships.

It's on again next Friday and the two Fridays after that.
Excellent pictures Wayland, beautifully composed and shot.
A question that bothered me as a kid was explained nicely about fireworks by a chap from Uni of Cambridge.
"t's an optical illusion. Actually, half of the explosion is moving toward you, and half is moving away (Conservation of momentum).

Normally when something comes towards you the size of the object increases. So there's an assumption that's built into your brain that something rapidly increasing in apparent size must be approaching you.

Most of the time it's true, but with fireworks, half of the firework is moving away from you, but that's not very obvious.

The net upshot is that exploding fireworks always seem to be approaching you, even the bit that's moving away.

The reason your brain assumes this is survival- things that are approaching you rapidly is often a survival threat, better safe than sorry."

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE