Campfire pizza

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Aug 4, 2013
Berkshire
Is it possible to make a pizza over a campfire?

I appreciate that you could heat a big flat stone in the middle of it and then brush it clear, but I was think more in terms of using a pan.

And if so - any recipes?

Thanks

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
Over a fire is difficult unless you do something like a calzone pizza or use something like a dutch oven so you can put coals on top.

Failing that, if you've got a raised fire bowl and a griddle stone you can do it under the fire :)

ged

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 16, 2009
In the woods if possible.
As Steve says a Dutch oven is probably the best way to go unless you want to start a construction project and build a pizza oven. Doable, but a lot of work, and leaving no trace might be an issue!

For recipes look in any cookery publication, there's nothing special about pizza outdoors except that it's divine. :)

Greg

Jul 16, 2006
Pembrokeshire
A pizza the lads (Adam & Lloyd) made a few years ago at a SWB meet...Adam had made a fold up oven that sat on top of the fire...

Tank

Aug 10, 2009
Witney, Oxfordshire
Yesterday pizza. I didnt do it out the fire, but would work the same.

Large billy or pot, some stones or something to lift a frying pan off the bottom.

vaquqeqy.jpg

deha3ama.jpg

5y7y7ymy.jpg

apyha5ed.jpg

ananu7en.jpg

Last edited:

RE8ELD0G

Settler
Oct 3, 2012
Kettering
I would buy a cheese and tomatoe flat bread from tesco/asda and then add toppings as you please and heat by the fire.
Does not actually need cooking just heating and melting the cheese.

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
In the 15 inch Aussie camp oven I have done a 12 inch pizza sitting on the trivet in the bottom and a 14 incher in the top half by the simple expedient of sticking three suitably long bolts through holes on the. edge of the top pizza tray with nuts to hold them in place.

http://www.southernmetalspinners.com.au/aussie_campoven.htm

With a bit of fiddling I think I could rig if to do a three at once

atb

Tom

redandshane

Native
Oct 20, 2007
Batheaston
I wouldn't discount the use of a flat stone if you can get a suitable flat stone. I did it once and simply put my upturned Wok over it to make a an oven worked perfectly.

The traditional wood fired Pizza oven has a floor temperature of about 400°C and an air temperature of about 350°C. A 'traditional recipe, thin crust pizza will take about two minutes to cook - and is sublime!

The problem with campfire cooking is replicating the air temperature component to cook the top of the pizza at the same time as crisping the base.

Even with a dutch oven - the air temperature will disappear as soon as you remove the lid to put in your pizza...I've never done it in a dutch oven (I've cooked well over a thousand in a traditional oven) - I would have thought it would be a case of playing around with top and bottom heat timings - interesting project!

Aug 4, 2013
Berkshire
The traditional wood fired Pizza oven has a floor temperature of about 400°C and an air temperature of about 350°C. A 'traditional recipe, thin crust pizza will take about two minutes to cook - and is sublime!

I know what you mean - a local pub has one in the garden and they are amazing to eat and watch being made - so quick.

So, what I am looking for is a facsimile that will be "pizza-ish" - on that basis there's lots of great advice, tips and comments so far and I'm really grateful - thanks guys.

OK - I've been thinking of a solution to this - based on my experience of commercially producing wood fired oven pizzas - here's the theory:

Heat your cooking base - stone, skillet etc on the fire - try, with a laser thermometer to achieve a 400°C temperature.

At the same time heat a flat surface - such as another skillet, frying pan, dutch oven (lid or base), anything that will cover the whole pizza - again try to achieve about 400°C.

Place pizza on base and hold/ suspend your flat surface about 2" above the top of the pizza for about 2 minutes. Remove and enjoy!

Keeping the whole rig close to the fire whilst cooking will impart the smokiness of a wood fired oven pizza.

That's what I'm going to try!

I asked for one of those in my local Army surplus store but they said they don't get a lot of them in. :(

Anyway, let us know how it works! :) :campfire: :)

They are quite common 'in the trade' where cooking things like flat bread require quite exact, high temperatures, and can be picked up on line for as little as £20.

As Mr Blumenthal knows - there's nowt wrong with a touch of precise science when it comes to reproducing the best of a particular cuisine. In my experience, the application of this can turn pizza dough from the ordinary to the sublime (a sprinkling of parmesan around the crust adds another touch - but that is my, now not so professional, secret!). Replicating the traditional pizza oven on a campfire is, in my view, an interesting project - but one which requires precise temperatures to achieve.

If it's do-able - let's do it!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE