Dyeing the leather on a Norgy Rucksack

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Dave

Hill Dweller
Sep 17, 2003
Brigantia
Bit bored earlier, felt like doing something crafty.

I had a third of a bottle of fiebings dye left, so sat in the garden and decided to dye all of the leather, on my Norwegian Rucksack.

norwegian_rucksack_unissued.600.jpg

You can see here the leather pack straps, I havent dyed yet, against the dyed leather straps:

Dyed all the trim, just wiping a bit of sponge over the patented leather:

Few bits need touching up.

Only took an hour with a bit of sponge, and a paintbrush, wearing a pair of surgical gloves.

Looks alright dont it? :)

Last edited:

Dave

Hill Dweller
Sep 17, 2003
Brigantia
You know you want to! :) The photos are a bit unflattering, and it does look pretty good in the flesh so to speak.

I've been looking at the swedish salt and pepper packs lately. My god, how much?!! Thats probably what got me fiddling.

Dave

Hill Dweller
Sep 17, 2003
Brigantia
Thankyou fellas. If anyone else does it, I'd like to see some photos of how the different coloured dyes look. Mine was a chestnut dye.

Last edited:

sausage100uk

Settler
May 4, 2013
United Kingdom
Nice, i must say that im developing a bit of a thing for canvas and leather packs. Another one arrived this morning and the neatsfoot is soaking up in the sun.

Sent from my LG-D802 using Tapatalk

N

Nomad

That is really nice!! Where did you get the pack mate? Been after one for a while!,

Military Mart seems to be a popular supplier, but they're showing out of stock on the better grade ones. They have grade 2 in stock. I just ordered one from here...

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/141266914164?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

I asked if it was cotton or synthetic, and was told that it's cotton. Found 7 or 8 feedback comments on previous sales, all positive. Two commented on the condition: one said it was excellent condition for the money, and the other considered it unissued. Actual description says it's used vintage kit which may have signs of use and marks, which sounds a bit better than MM's grade 2: "will show some signes of repair and may have some small holes or have writing in the canvas but it still a very good rucksack for the price".

Cheapo delivery, so slow (expected around Thursday), but can't complain at 20 quid all in. I'll report on condition when it arrives.

Note: I ordered on Saturday afternoon, and it was showing 10 available. Now showing 7. If you wait for me to report on condition, they might all be gone.

BushBob

Tenderfoot
Nov 24, 2013
East Mids
Dave,

That looks great.

I've got one of these packs on order. I was thinking of waxing the canvas with Barbour thornproof dressing. I'd also like to have a go at dying the leather.

Can you let me know what leather dye you used.

Cheers,

Bob

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE