Viking Shoulder Bags (re-priced)

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Dreadhead

Bushcrafter through and through
I just finished my first set of three viking shoulder bags :)

CIMG6057 by HamishOdinson, on Flickr
CIMG6093 by HamishOdinson, on Flickr

These bags are based on the historical hedeby/haithabu bag finds from the viking period. I have seen one or two examples online and saw some historical notes on them, but never understood just how ingenious they are until I made one (and then some!).

The wooden frames atop each bag act as the closure system. The rope strap is fed through the frames, which open along the rope. When the bag is released, the weight of it pulls both frames together and closes the bag. Because the closure works with the weight of the bag and tension of the rope, it is incredibly difficult for anyone to get their hand in the bag without lifting it up to release the tension. Therefor, it is reasonably pick pocket proof :)

Oxblood SOLD
Made with an unknown but very unique leather; thick and tough, but also soft. The sides of the bag are made with cowhide, and they are laced up with high quality calf skin. The wooden frames are Oak, secured with sturdy copper rivets. The strap is natural hemp rope :) bag dimensions (excluding wood) measures roughly 27cm long, 25cm wide, 10cm thick

The Goat

Made with a Norwegian goat hide, with reindeer hide trim, and sealskin straps. The goat has been cut and stitched in a way that the fur runs down all the way around the bag. All seams have been saddle-stitched, with inner seams also overstitched for extra strength. Wooden frames are an unknown wood, it looks and feels like teak but is a very light colour. Secured with sturdy copper rivets with a natural rope strap. bag dimensions (excluding wood) measures roughly 26cm long, 28cm wide, 14cm thick

The Sheep

This bag is reversible. It has a sheepskin outer, with a thick woolen liner. It can be turned inside out for a woolen outer which also looks nice. Both ways have nice hidden seams. All leather is hand saddle-stitched. The wool parts were machine stitched, but hand stitched to the leather. The wood is the same strange light teak-like wood and the strap is natural rope. bag dimensions (excluding wood) measures roughly 26cm long, 28cm wide, 12cm thick

Cost: £175 each plus £10 postage within the UK. Overseas will cost a little more but no problem. Payment via bank transfer or paypal. Please PM to secure.

Oxblood bag has been SOLD.

Thanks for looking :)

Last edited:

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Fionn's looking good modeling for you Hamish, like her new hair (and sweet wee neck knife!) Bags should sell even better now!

CRAY

Jul 24, 2014
Canada
do you ever make them with longer straps?

Like with a shoulder strap sort of thing.

And great work by the way.

Dreadhead

Bushcrafter through and through
do you ever make them with longer straps?

Like with a shoulder strap sort of thing.

And great work by the way.

They do come with long shoulder straps. They are even titled viking shoulder bags. If you look at my post #5 you will see my other half modelling one of the bags, wearing it over her shoulder :) As the strap is a rope with a knot in each end, I can supply extra long straps which you just cut down to size and tie a knot in, works a charm.

CRAY

Jul 24, 2014
Canada
They do come with long shoulder straps. They are even titled viking shoulder bags. If you look at my post #5 you will see my other half modelling one of the bags, wearing it over her shoulder :) As the strap is a rope with a knot in each end, I can supply extra long straps which you just cut down to size and tie a knot in, works a charm.

Thanks chief

I may have to have a look your way when my dads next bday comes round. He does a lot of clay pigeon shooting and like his leather shell pouches.

Kind regards

C

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE