mens underwear

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Bigfoot

Settler
Jul 10, 2010
Scotland
Talk about thread necromancy .... :)

Merino wool if you are flush with cash, otherwise the stuff from Lidl is good for general use and it's inexpensive.

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
Tesco, four for £6 do the job, Lidl, Aldi and B&M thermal underwear will easily see you through the four seasons in the UK.

big_swede

Native
Sep 22, 2006
W Yorkshire
Bam are the most comfortable i've used the only ones i wear now.
Bambo so naturally antibacterial.

No, it is not antibacterial. There have never been any studies showing that it's antibacterial although some sellers still use this myth. They (sellers) are actually forbidden to say that in the US as FTC looked in to the matter. They are even forbidden to state bamboo as a fibre, they have to use rayon (which is equivalent with viscose) since the fibre is identical to rayon/viscose made from wooden cellulose. It also has kind of low wear resistance.

The coolmax suggestion above is good advice. Polyester is longlasting and very vapour permeable.

colly

Forager
Apr 10, 2010
Edenbridge Kent
No, it is not antibacterial. There have never been any studies showing that it's antibacterial although some sellers still use this myth. They (sellers) are actually forbidden to say that in the US as FTC looked in to the matter. They are even forbidden to state bamboo as a fibre, they have to use rayon (which is equivalent with viscose) since the fibre is identical to rayon/viscose made from wooden cellulose. It also has kind of low wear resistance.

what ever, it doesn't matter to me they are still the most comfortable i have worn.
i have worn bambo T's for a few days (with just cold water rinsing) without them spelling and there is no problem with wear resistance.

Big Geordie

Nomad
Jul 17, 2005
Bonny Scotland
Rohan boxers are the best for me whether I'm in Aberdeen or Nepal. They're not cheap but they last and last I have some from 2005 in nearly new condition. I never wear anything else because I have found nothing to compare with them. I'm always the right temperature and Betty Swallocks is a thing of the past.
Every couple of years I go to one of their summer sales and buy some.

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Natural fibres all the way - cotton, Merino, bamboo, silk ...all great! I have yet to try hemp, jute or other.
Most artificial fibre undies just make me smell and come out in nasty zits!
Under Armour gave me a whole new world of rashes....
I have a couple of T shirts that include copper or silver are OK but still not as good as Merino!
Briefs not boxers every time - must have support!

Seadog

Tenderfoot
May 5, 2013
United Kingdom
Can I resurrect an old thread - went out today for a much longer than anticipated walk. Wearing jeans (low level - the walk not the jeans) and cotton Y fronts. Got very damp in the under carriage and now have nasty chafe round inside of both legs. I think this is a case more of the y front leg hems getting damp rather than the non flat seams of the jeans. Any thoughts? being rather oversize there is not a lot of choice out there

Bowlander

Nov 28, 2011
Forest of Bowland
Can I resurrect an old thread - went out today for a much longer than anticipated walk. Wearing jeans (low level - the walk not the jeans) and cotton Y fronts. Got very damp in the under carriage and now have nasty chafe round inside of both legs. I think this is a case more of the y front leg hems getting damp rather than the non flat seams of the jeans. Any thoughts? being rather oversize there is not a lot of choice out there

Try Bodyglide pre chafing then Sudocrem if it happens.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Xparent Green Tapatalk 2

cbr6fs

Native
Mar 30, 2011
Athens, Greece
Being oversized and walking any distance in wet jeans is going to be painful.

Not only do they get heavy when wet and take ages to dry out, the seams will rub you raw.
Even for dry use if your overweight then the seams are going to be uncomfortable after a while walking.

I put on a fair bit of weight a few years ago and found most of the hiking trousers i used to wear to be uncomfortable between the groin area down to my thighs, i've since lost a lot of the extra weight and those same trousers are now comfortable again.

Couple of options for you as i see it.

1/ Look around for some trousers that have the seam that isn't in-between your legs
Pretty much every half decent hiking brand make hiking trousers, no idea what sort of sizes they go up to, but if you're struggling to find European brands that fit try so brands that are made for the American market as their sizes tend to be bigger.

2/ Buy some longer cycling type shorts to wear under your jeans, again shorts that have no seam or at best have a flat seam.

My advice is to go for #1 as there is no advantage to hiking in jeans and only many disadvantages.
They might make good work trousers but the material is not good for cold wet days out hiking in the UK.

Seadog

Tenderfoot
May 5, 2013
United Kingdom
Thanks for the Bodyglide tip - not tried that. Sadly I am currently struggling with trouser sizes and may have to go made to measure [except for jeans, look alike combats etc.] might have a look on the American sites

Angry Pirate

Forager
Jul 24, 2014
Peak District
My favourites are M&S sports boxers. Shop around.

Me too. Their synthetic sports boxers give enough support for long runs, wick well and dry quickly. Two pairs lasted me well for a sixteen day exped (i did occasionally wash them as they dried pretty rapidly) though like John says, things do get a bit spotty after a few days in the same pair.
I bought some cheap running ones off ebay last year and they offer similar performance (but less support) for a fiver a pair.
Wouldn't wear cotton on the hill now if you paid me: the biggest bugbear used to be drying out in the hitech breathable kit after a hefty tab up a hill but with wet undies for the next few hours (clingy does not equal fun!)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE