Losing knives.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

bambodoggy

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 10, 2004
Surrey
www.stumpandgrind.co.uk
Can you find knives the same way you can find sewing needles that you've dropped? Wander round barefoot for a while, and the needle/knife will appear impaled in the bottom of your foot... Not exactly the least painful way, but it certainly worked with my favourite sewing needle...

Julia

You're pretty Hardcore! ! ! Just thinking about that is making me shiver lol :)

MongooseDownUnder

Tenderfoot
Jul 15, 2013
Perth, Western Australia
Lost my favorite scout knife years ago. I loved that knife my father gave it to me when I was young. It was a nice Joseph Rodgers with a sheepshoof blade and rosewood handle. I think someone must have stolen it.

Sent from my GT-N7105T using Tapatalk

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Lost my swiss champ.. Gutted - it went everywhere with me. I've checked bags, coat pockets, trouser pockets, car glovebox.

Tis nowhere to be seen.

I know as soon as I buy another it'll turn up. Just venting my spleen.

In the meantime I'll console myself by browsing Heinnie Haynes...

M

Sad for your loss but you did get a beautiful poem with an almost Haiku like simplicity to it out of the experience. Hope all goes well with replacement and or finding Mountainm. Keep waxing lyrical mate!

cranmere

Settler
Mar 7, 2014
Somerset, England
I don't think I've ever lost a knife, partly because my SAK lived on a knotted lanyard. Sadly it eventually disintegrated completely but since it was at least 30 years old I don't have any complaints.

What I lose is watches because I hate having things on my hands. I don't wear rings or bracelets and I tend to take watches off and put them in my pocket. I like the cheap Casio plastic-cased watches because they survive all sorts of abuse. They frequently go through the washing machine in the pocket they were put into, I've recovered one after several months in the compost heap, dropped one down the cliffs at the Avon Gorge, forgotten about one and took it diving to 30m, ran over one with the car on my drive and more besides. They all worked just fine after their varied experiences.

And if anyone ever comes across the little Scout book on knotting lanyards (from 'way back before plastic cords and paracord was used) I'd love to get hold of it again.

Last edited:

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Must admit I don't think I've ever lost a knife. (Have lent them and never gotten them back but that's different). Knife always goes in the same pocket; front right trouser pocket. And because I've slightly retentive my pockets get tapped to ensure their contents regularly as I walk and go about my day. Each item goes in a particular place.
I do wonder about the sense in camouflaged outdoor kit if your not military though. I put down a "Realtree" zippo lighter I had and never saw it again.
I'm a bit like Cranmere when it comes to watches though. I can't stand to wear a watch when I'm eating. Like to take it off and either into the pocket or sit it on the table. My partner thinks it's just another indicator that I'm a bit weird. (She may be right!)

although in a different way i kinda lost ALL my tools (apart from my beltknife, skinner, leatherman) in one go 2days ago... all my carving tools, my silky pocketboy and gomby, my GFA,my parang, my nata...
not to mention all my other outdoor kit....

life played a stupid prank on me and now i'm separated from them and have NO IDEA if i'll ever see them again...

Jul 12, 2012
Liverpool
I have lost one knife I loved a nice buck folder, I kept in my pocket for three years when I was training as a gamekeeper I did everything and then in the last week *poof* missing last time I can recall seeing it it got put inside it's sheath inside a hat into the bottom of my bag I tore my bag apart walked the route I took home three times not once looking up looked in the buildings I had been in that day and reported it lost to the staff nada.

Still guts it's gone.

Harvestman

Bushcrafter through and through
May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
I lost an Ablett folder that I traded for on here. I was gutted, because my wife is distantly related to Trevor Ablett, Ablett being her mother's maiden name.

That and it was my mushrooming knife.

Damascus

Native
Dec 3, 2005
Norwich
My old army clasp knife, had it all through my army career, I turned the house upside down looking for it, not to be found, packing to move house it was in the bottom of a box in the wife's wardrobe.

Fraxinus

Settler
Oct 26, 2008
Canterbury
Wrote about it before but my original Leatherman went awol for a year, I held off buying a new one for most of that time but finally bought a Surge to replace it. The OH then found the original in the toe of a pair of shoes she had not worn for that long....too many shoes I say but :deadhorse: there.

Surge lives on my belt and the original is easily located in my work rucksack/laptop case as back up and sometimes the second pair of pliers comes in handy.

Rob.

ozzy1977

Jan 10, 2006
Henley
I have already misplaced my TBS Boar folder, sodding thing, I only picked it up from the sorting office this morning :mad:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE